Brewer Fanatic

You're the Brewers GM...Your 2018 Deadline Moves are?

The Brewers window may not be 100% open but it began opening last year and is continuing to open further in 2018. Sure there are fears that some Brewers overachieved in 2017 (Arcia, Santana, Pina, Shaw) and that there may be a new regression candidate in 2019 (Aguilar). I believe though they are currently situated nicely to compete for the foreseeable future. Getting to 18 games over .500 has been sullied a but by there 6 game losing streak, but they have a core group of very good players under contract for multiple seasons.

With that in mind, how do you approach the 2018 deadline? If I am the GM of the Brewers, the Manny Machados (elite talent but is a 2 month rental who would never re-sign in Milwaukee) of the world would not be targeted this year. The goal is long term competitiveness which means targets would be those with team control even with the understanding that would cost significantly more prospect capital. If I am confident in my ability as the GM to hire the right scouting department, I am comfortable dealing top end prospects with the idea that I can rebuild my system in over a few years because I have controllable players on my very competitive MLB team. Will my moves guarantee me the playoffs in 2018? No, but they will ensure the Brewers remain competitive now and into the future.

Given my premise above, if I am the Brewers GM, my plan of attack for the 2018 deadline is as follows:

TRADE #1

Trade Keston Hiura, Corbin Burnes, Corey Ray, (lottery ticket) for Noah Syndergaard

Yes this is the ultimate risk trade. Syndergaard has not proven he can stay healthy over the past few seasons and you are trading a potentially elite bat at 2B. However, a 26 year old controllable ace like Syndergaard is not often acquirable (especially for a small market) and when the moment comes, you cannot hesitate. Burnes hurts a ton as well but he remains a prospect who in our wildest dreams could become Syndergaard. Ray is seemingly putting it together but remains a work in progress (although a possible 30-20 work in progress). It's an ENORMOUS risk but one I take given Syndergaard is under contract through the 2021 season.

TRADE #2

Trade Domingo Santana for Brian Dozier

Yes, Dozier is a rental. However, he is also someone the Brewers could potentially re-sign given his age (31) and lack of long term solution at the position given Hiura's departure and Dubon's injury. Dozier is someone who plugs the massive gap at 2B for 2018 and could conceivably fill the hole in 2019 and 2020 as well. Santana moves to the AL and attempts to rebuild his career in Minnesota. The bottom line with Santana, I like Brett Phillips more and love the defensive OF with Cain, Yelich and Phillips. There simply is no playing time in Milwaukee for Santana. Split time between Braun and Phillips moving forward in the OF.

RECALL ORLANDO ARCIA

Yes, I want to win in 2018. However, Orlando Arcia remains the future at SS for me as Brewers GM. He needs to continue to play in AAA to work out his issues. However, Arcia is showing better in AAA so far and I believe his defense will still play given the offensive blackhole at 2B has been eliminated with the acquisition of Dozier. Recall him in early August and play him almost everyday.

SPLIT TIME 60-40 BETWEEN MANNY PINA & JACOB NOTTINGHAM

Pina, who was my candidate for massive regression in 2018, has shown 2017 may have been his career year offensively. I love Pina as a defender and he needs to remain on this roster moving forward but the Brewers need to determine what they have in Nottingham. His MiLB days should be done if he shows anything offensively over the next two months. Assuming he hits at even a .240/.310 clip with some pop, he and Pina should switch roles in 2019 with Nottingham taking the majority of the starts.

WAIT OUT THE INJURIES TO JIMMY NELSON AND ZACH DAVIES

If Jimmy Nelson cannot come back in 2018, sit him. This is OK. He was a developing ace in 2017 and if the recovery process takes all of 2018 then fine. If he can even touch 85% of what he was in 2017, a 1-2 of Syndergaard-Nelson is great moving forward. Same thing with Davies...think long term. Davies is a very solid back end starter who gives me great confidence in his role as the #4 moving forward.

Will this get the Brewers to the playoffs in 2018? I don't know. I would love it if it would but I am uncertain. What I do know is the Brewers become a team with a rotation with an Ace and potential elite #2 if Nelson returns to what he was. Peralta looks like he could be an above average/elite #3 if he continues to develop and Davies and Woodruff/Suter round out a rotation I would throw against any team in the NL.

The lineup of Cain-Yelich-Aguilar-Shaw-Dozier-Braun/Phillips-Nottingham-Arcia could struggle if Phillips-Nottingham-Arcia do nothing. However, reinforcements are there in Braun, Thames and Saladino for this year.

For me though, the Brewers window is just opening and this may be the last year they have to really find out what they have on the MLB roster with the bottom of the lineup before that window is wide open.

Go Brewers!

• Replies 185
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Can I ask why Syndergaard and not deGrom? deGrom, at least to me, is the better pitcher, is having a better season, and is much less of an injury risk. Yes a few years older, but that seems like the only downside to me.

To me, age (Syndergaard 26, deGrom 30) is why I target Syndergaard. Injury risk means lower cost for Syndergaard. While I think that cost I posted for Syndergaard is very rich, deGrom should command even more given health.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor
Can I ask why Syndergaard and not deGrom? deGrom, at least to me, is the better pitcher, is having a better season, and is much less of an injury risk. Yes a few years older, but that seems like the only downside to me.

To me, age (Syndergaard 26, deGrom 30) is why I target Syndergaard. Injury risk means lower cost for Syndergaard. While I think that cost I posted for Syndergaard is very rich, deGrom should command even more given health.

Have you taken into account that Syndergaard has three more years of control vs two more years for deGrom? deGrom might be better, but his extra year brings some additional value.

deGrom has already had Tommy John. If he has another his career is probably over or at least he likely won't be the same pitcher.

Trades to [recklessly?] gut the system, but be in full contention for the next three years:

Brewers get Whit Merifield and Salvador Perez from the Royals for (deep breath) Villar, Corey Ray, Luis Ortiz, Cody Ponce, Keon Broxton and Jacob Nottingham, and whatever throw in is needed

Brewers get Jacob DeGrom for Keston Hiura, Corbin Burnes, Domingo Santana, lottery.

Brewers get Blake Treinen for Keon Broxton, Jacob Barnes, and Trey Supak

Solidifies 2B and C until 2021. Strengthens an already strong bullpen. Guts a lot of the MILB system, but keep Woodruff, Diplan, Brown and Peralta. Still have some decent graded prospects in Erceg, Lutz, Stokes.

Also necessary edit, I don't know if I would actually do these, more just framework of what they would look like.

JT Realmuto for Luis Ortiz, Jacob Nottingham, Corey Ray, and Brett Phillips. They get 3 of our top 6 rated prospects and a catching prospect in return. We need a franchise catcher with control badly.

You're not getting Realmuto without at least one of Hiura/Burnes/Peralta, probably would even need to do two of that trio.

1) Trey Supak for Wilson Ramos - yes he is hurt and it's a huge gamble for this year but I feel that is what we need to do. Come mid august you get a huge offensive upgrade at catcher with fresh legs after a month off. Supek is a victim of the 40 man crunch, rather take my shot with him now vs lose him later.

2) Gatewood, Marcos Diplan, Orf (someone has to come off the 40 man) for Eduardo Escobar - Guessing the 2nd piece may need to be a bit better. I know his defense at SS isn't great (actually probably below average) and he is more a 2nd baseman or 3rd baseman at this point but I am comfy with Escobar at any of those positions going forward, I would plug him in at SS leading to move #3

3) Bubba Derby and Trey Stokes for Asdrubal Cabrera - Here is your new 2nd baseman.

4) Keon Broxton to KC for Andres Machado - Keon off the 40 man clearing a spot for Cabrera, get an upside relief arm

5) Villar to CLE for Willi Castro - Need another 40 man spot, Kipnis stinks now

I am ok with out pitching, let's lengthen the lineup and grind people out.

5) Villar to CLE for Willi Castro - Need another 40 man spot, Kipnis stinks now

No chance.

A) Kipnis has been doing better since the beginning of June.

B) If Cleveland wanted to upgrade 2B, it would move Jose Ramirez back to his regular spot (2B) and use a different 3B (Yandy Diaz or trade acquisition like Beltre, etc)

C) Castro is well liked in the organization & has been in AA all year (at age 20, 21).

D) Cleveland has other internal options to go thru before even considering Villar.

Syndergaard is so worrisome to me.

This organization can not absorb the loss in prospects it would take for a guy who has pitched 90 innings since 2016. He is an injury concern, period.

When healthy, one of the best for certain, but his recent track record indicates a MAJOR injury risk, and that would just kill us!

"I'm sick of runnin' from these wimps!" Ajax - The WARRIORS

JT Realmuto for Hiura, Ortiz, Phillips, Ponce

Dozier for Supak, Stokes Jr.

Realmuto seems reasonable.

Not a chance on Dozier. They guy is an elite offensive 2B and with Machado off the market he will still command a premium despite being a rental.

JT Realmuto for Hiura, Ortiz, Phillips, Ponce

Dozier for Supak, Stokes Jr.

Realmuto seems reasonable.

Not a chance on Dozier. They guy is an elite offensive 2B and with Machado off the market he will still command a premium despite being a rental.

Dozier isn't even close to Machado's level as a rental. He's owed about $4M more this year. He is having a down year and given that Machado brought back only one top 25 organizational prospect, Supak and Stokes for Dozier is more than fair if we're taking on all Dozier's salary.

I like Dozier, a lot, I think he could be a really good acquisition. But no one is paying premium rental prices for 2 months of an average defensive second baseman putting up a .231/.314/.423 slash line this year.

We would take on the salary and then it would be a little bit more than the Ed Nothingburger that we gave up for Walker last year. I actually think Supak and Stokes is on the generous side.

Dozier isn't having a down year. He's a second half hitter and every GM knows that. Supak and Stokes will never get him.

Dozier will be a Twin right up until the deadline. The Brewers have their hands full until then. That reduces his value.

1) Syndergaard for Hiura, Peralta, Ponce, and Grisham.

2) Britton for Lopez and KJ Harrison

3) Dozier for Supak

In the off-season sign a reliever and a guy capable of playing SS and 2B who is more offensive minded than defensive. I still think Arcia needs a chance to reclaim SS.

We keep Ray, Woodruff and Burnes. Them, Lutz and Turang are our new top 5.

I'd take Dozier if the price is right. Not sure how his market will develop. I think he'll be within 10% of Machado WAR-wise the rest of the year. I'd probably do Woodruff for him, but I'm lower in Woodruff than most here.

I'm certainly not panicking to get him either. I think I'd call and offer Woodruff.....see what they think.

After that, I'm looking for pen arms. Don't have to be world beaters l, but I'd like to add a couple.

Starters are welcome of course.

I'd offer Hiura, Burnes and Ortiz for DeGrom. No interest in Syndegaard.

Archived