Brewer Fanatic

Hader Tweets

FVBrewerFan
Brewer Fanatic Contributor
What he said was terrible but suspending a guy for what he did at 17 is odd to me. I am interested to know why this would be a good idea and am open to changing my mind. If it came out that another player was in a hate group in high school but had put that behind him should he still be suspended? Honestly I was pretty rascist as a high school kid but I didn't have social media to post stupid things on. So is the issue that he said it or that it was still open to people? Just trying understand the suspension part. If he is suspended for 3 to 5 games that is ok I would just find it to be an odd precedent

It wouldn't be a suspension for what he did at 17. It would be a suspension for being a moron. Yeah, he was a kid when he wrote that stupid stuff, but apparently he also didn't think it mattered enough to go back and delete those tweets once he was in the public eye. That's the choice he made as an adult, and likely why there will be consequences.

You can't suspend someone for being a moron.

I beg to differ. I would say the vast majority of suspensions occur because the subject did something moronic.

• Replies 283
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Sure you can.

"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

This concept that I've seen on the blogosophere/Twitterverse that he let it stay out there because he still believes it today is so asinine. I can't comprehend that amount of silliness.

Exactly. As someone with 13,000+ posts on Brewerfan alone and thousands upon thousands of posts on other boards, tweets, Facebook and Myspace posts, I couldn't even begin to guess whether or not I have something out there that could be perceived as offensive.

The idea that Hader just knew it was out there ready to ruin his life and didn't bother with it is so ridiculous. A 'tweet' is a very quick and in the moment post and particularly by a teenager likely won't be remembered the next week much less 7 years later.

What he said was terrible but suspending a guy for what he did at 17 is odd to me. I am interested to know why this would be a good idea and am open to changing my mind. If it came out that another player was in a hate group in high school but had put that behind him should he still be suspended? Honestly I was pretty rascist as a high school kid but I didn't have social media to post stupid things on. So is the issue that he said it or that it was still open to people? Just trying understand the suspension part. If he is suspended for 3 to 5 games that is ok I would just find it to be an odd precedent

It wouldn't be a suspension for what he did at 17. It would be a suspension for being a moron. Yeah, he was a kid when he wrote that stupid stuff, but apparently he also didn't think it mattered enough to go back and delete those tweets once he was in the public eye. That's the choice he made as an adult, and likely why there will be consequences.

I believe there have been players who have been suspended for basically saying they were stupid or careless. Have there not been issues of drug suspensions where the player claims that they unknowingly took something? You should never unknowingly take something. That's kind of being moronic.

User in-game thread post in 1st inning of 3rd game of the 2022 season: "This team stinks"

Nobody has a clue what was going through his head when he posted that stuff. "White power lol" could stem from beating a black teammate in MLB2k12. His high school was 50% black, and I heard the same kind of interracial ribbing in high school locker rooms. Yes, KKK references and the like. Doesn't make it any less idiotic to put it on the Internet. But there's context here. In 2011 the people reading those Tweets were his high school teammates and friends.

It's a reasonable concept that he has no recollection of some moronic Tweets from high school when he wasn't on the world's stage. FB shares memories with me that make me cringe and I delete them. Rambling of crap I can't believe I put out for others to see in 2008, 2009. Homophobic sentiment is also rampant in high school sports. It still is today. Hader's stuff doesn't even scratch the surface of things I heard from opposing players across the line of scrimmage, which bothered me then since I have a gay brother, but the social pressure makes one not want to speak up about it.

I don't want this to sound like any kind of excuse for him, it's just that this kind of practice takes away all context and when we start trying to assign character based on this kind of stuff, I can't take that seriously. I have no idea who Josh Hader is based on this. It bothers me that some Twitter warriors KNOW who he is, their opinion somehow more valid than Jeremy Jeffress's. That's a joke.

Professional sports teams employ individuals who give instructions to the players on ways people will try to exploit them or take advantage of them once they are young, rich and famous. I'm assuming that would include social media history. That he ignored any such advice, was not private on social media or didn't bother to delete them years later says more about his intelligence than anything else.

This concept that I've seen on the blogosophere/Twitterverse that he let it stay out there because he still believes it today is so asinine. I can't comprehend that amount of silliness.

Exactly. As someone with 13,000+ posts on Brewerfan alone and thousands upon thousands of posts on other boards, tweets, Facebook and Myspace posts, I couldn't even begin to guess whether or not I have something out there that could be perceived as offensive.

The idea that Hader just knew it was out there ready to ruin his life and didn't bother with it is so ridiculous. A 'tweet' is a very quick and in the moment post and particularly by a teenager likely won't be remembered the next week much less 7 years later.

Yea, I get that. But Adam, you mean to tell me you wouldn't remember typing "kkk" and "I hate gays" among other things?

He was 17, but people seemed to be WAY more focused on that vs some of the things he said. Young and stupid, so he shouldn't be held accountable at all. (Not saying YOU have said that but others have.)

For all of you saying you're glad Twitter wasn't around when you were 17, I agree! But most of that (I hope) would have been stupid (not hateful) things about women, getting drunk, whatever. I doubt many of us would have been tweeting kkk, at least I want to believe that. When you go that far, it's more than just being 17 and stupid. And it's also not automatic that he grew out of it, not everyone grows out of it.

After sleeping on it I think this will all blow over in a week or two when the internet finds something else to be outraged over. That’s just the culture of social media as it stands today. I just saw someone dig up Whit Merrifield’s old tweets and it had some unsavory words. I’m betting that 50+% of young players have the same issue and if you dig far enough you’ll find something by today’s standards is “problematic”. I for one don’t think tweets 7 years ago represent his true character, but hey that’s a flaming hot take apparently. He used song quotes and movie quotes in a few of them (Not all I understand). That’s just something young and stupid high schoolers do. God knows I said awful crap, but people coming at his throat just need to stop. A lot of people living in glass houses are throwing stones. I saw people calling for his release, for something he did 7 years ago and hasn’t done again as a professional athlete. This is getting a bit ridiculous

Not trying to take away from the bad things Hader said, but I saw old tweets from Kyle Schwarber, Mike Trout and Whit Merrifield all dug up this morning with homophobic slurs

And it begins.

The witch hunt is now underway.

Yea, I get that. But Adam, you mean to tell me you wouldn't remember typing "kkk" and "I hate gays" among other things?

He was 17, but people seemed to be WAY more focused on that vs some of the things he said. Young and stupid, so he shouldn't be held accountable at all. (Not saying YOU have said that but others have.)

For all of you saying you're glad Twitter wasn't around when you were 17, I agree! But most of that (I hope) would have been stupid (not hateful) things about women, getting drunk, whatever. I doubt many of us would have been tweeting kkk, at least I want to believe that. When you go that far, it's more than just being 17 and stupid. And it's also not automatic that he grew out of it, not everyone grows out of it.

If you didn't actually believe it and were saying it to troll a friend in high school, or just farting it out there because you think it's funny at 17, then yes, I believe it is totally believable that you don't remember that years later.

The fact it sat there for years, in my opinion, actually lends some credibility to the idea that it was just him being an idiot kid and it wasn't a strongly held belief.

Not trying to take away from the bad things Hader said, but I saw old tweets from Kyle Schwarber, Mike Trout and Whit Merrifield all dug up this morning with homophobic slurs

And it begins.

This world sucks.

"I'm sick of runnin' from these wimps!" Ajax - The WARRIORS

It's a reasonable concept that he has no recollection of some moronic Tweets from high school when he wasn't on the world's stage. FB shares memories with me that make me cringe and I delete them. Rambling of crap I can't believe I put out for others to see in 2008, 2009.

Yes it's a reasonable concept, but I'm guessing you are not in a high profile position where people pay to watch you work, millions of people follow the profession you are in very closely, and the media reports on the result of your work. If you are in that position, isn't it reasonable to think you would not wait for Facebook or twitter to remind you of things you said that you may have forgotten about?

User in-game thread post in 1st inning of 3rd game of the 2022 season: "This team stinks"

Professional sports teams employ individuals who give instructions to the players on ways people will try to exploit them or take advantage of them once they are young, rich and famous. I'm assuming that would include social media history. That he ignored any such advice, was not private on social media or didn't bother to delete them years later says more about his intelligence than anything else.

He signed a contract through an agent/agency when he was drafted and he's had representation ever since. They are taking a % of his money and THEY should be primarily focused on making sure their aren't any mines floating around that could be detonated... And if they don't have the capabilities then they shouldn't be in the business of taking money from players... The Brewers responsibility is to do due diligence before acquiring a player and to make sure nothing happens while he is with the organization... The Brewers don't even need to have someone in house, there are companies that you can pay to do a background check on someone including social media...

And it begins.

This world sucks.

Amen brother. There is much truth to a small segment of people ruin things for everyone. I hate that there is so much hate in the world.... and sports can't just be an escape from reality for a few hours anymore. Again, I'm only 34 and feel this way.

UGHHHHHHHH.

I beg to differ. I would say the vast majority of suspensions occur because the subject did something moronic.

True, but you can't say I'm not suspending you be because you did the moronic thing, but rather because it was moronic to not cover it up. If he gets suspended it is gong to be directly because of tweets he made as a 17 year old seven years ago. Not because he was a moron and didn't delete them.

but it's not like every guy suddenly forgot every piece of advice he gave

It's a reasonable concept that he has no recollection of some moronic Tweets from high school when he wasn't on the world's stage. FB shares memories with me that make me cringe and I delete them. Rambling of crap I can't believe I put out for others to see in 2008, 2009.

Yes it's a reasonable concept, but I'm guessing you are not in a high profile position where people pay to watch you work, millions of people follow the profession you are in very closely, and the media reports on the result of your work. If you are in that position, isn't it reasonable to think you would not wait for Facebook or twitter to remind you of things you said that you may have forgotten about?

The point is that I don't remember them. Not until Facebook shows them to me. Zero recollection of them at all. I can't delete stuff when I don't know I said it.

And it begins.

Im willing to bet a ton of young players have made poor choices of words in their youth on social media. Lol watch a mass suspension come out. We’ve had the “steroid era” now it’ll be the “mean words” era. Good grief.

Time for the marketing department to come up with a distraction like they did during the Spring Training when the Braun stuff blew up.

Oh look, a "stray" dog... ;)

Or, Jacob DeGrom trade is in the works.

Archived