Brewer Fanatic

Hader Tweets

FVBrewerFan
Regardless of any formal punishment or how fast some people think this will "blow over" (and I'd be curious if they would feel the same way if we were talking about something from say, Anthony Rizzo or Yadier Molina's past), this is going to stick with Hader for his career. He'll likely never get any endorsement deals, he'll be booed everywhere, and it's going to be attached to his name for his career.

Maybe, I don't see this sticking that long. Locally it will have legs, but I think this is buried on a national level in a couple of days. He isn't a big enough star for it to stick like that. He's a relief pitcher without even the branding of being a "closer." Loads of people never heard of the guy until yesterday. I don't think people will be booing him two years from now. I just don't think he has that kind of hold. The rest of the season, for sure, but I think it's fairly short-lived.

he's not going to get the treatment Braun gets, thats for sure. he's going to get negativity towards him from other fans/stadiums.. but he doesn't play in every game, and all it takes is a week of him not playing for people to "forget". Now, ESPN/The Athletic/Fox Sports/Etc.... they probably wont let it go because of clickbait/revenue associated with this type of stuff.

Posted: July 10, 2014, 12:30 AM

PrinceFielderx1 Said:

If the Brewers don't win the division I should be banned. However, they will.

Last visited: September 03, 2014, 7:10 PM

• Replies 283
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I think it's possible to believe Hader's comments last night and still need to punish him for allowing this stain to happen.

Exactly.

Accountability....and accountability doesn't always mean fairness. Someone else might do something similar and get away with it. If you are careless about something thats important (in this case, making those statements and then just allowing them to remain there even though you have matured beyond those thoughts), it may never come back to bite you. But if it does, you have to face the consequences.

User in-game thread post in 1st inning of 3rd game of the 2022 season: "This team stinks"

he's not going to get the treatment Braun gets, thats for sure. he's going to get negativity towards him from other fans/stadiums.. but he doesn't play in every game, and all it takes is a week of him not playing for people to "forget".

Braun has gone weeks and months without playing and people have not forgotten. Also, I feel like this issue is a bit more sensitive for many people. Perhaps I'm wrong, but I'm not so sure this is going to "go away" as fast as some believe it will.

User in-game thread post in 1st inning of 3rd game of the 2022 season: "This team stinks"

I think it will stick, and I see this possibly ruining his career.

When groups of people get it in their heads to ruin someone, they can do it. In today's society, agree with it or not, if there is a plan in place by any one of the groups he offended 7 years ago, he will feel this forever, and may not recover.

Like everyone else has mentioned, thankfully, their were no phones with cameras, social media, or today's technology when I was a kid. We all said and did things that belong buried in the past, and I can say for 100% certain, I am not nearly, in any capacity, the same person I was when I was 17 years old.

To me, this is a non-story. If we all base our fandom on personal issues with athletes, is there anyone out there we can support fully? Highly doubtful.

I hope some of you are right and this goes away in a couple of days, but I think that the nastiness of the media, and certain social groups, will not allow that to happen.

"I'm sick of runnin' from these wimps!" Ajax - The WARRIORS

My suspension recommendations aren't for the vile stuff he tweeted as a minor, but for his 7 years of inaction since then to disassociate himself from the hatred and bigotry.

Imagine the Brewers playing on the road at someone else's Pride Night, and they bring in Hader to pitch. If he hasn't served a suspension, what kind of message does that give the fans who have been specifically invited to attend that night?

So you want to suspend him because he forgot to delete some tweets?

Yes, given the vile content of those tweets and the distraction they caused on a night we should be celebrating baseball.

Maybe I'm reading this wrong but you seem to be contradicting yourself. You say you don't want him suspended for the tweets but rather that the tweets still exist and in the next breath you say you want him suspended for the tweets. I mean, causing a distraction isn't really a punishable offense here. This seems personal to you and hey, I get it. I'd hate to see what society would look like if we condemned every one that said something vile when they were 17.

but it's not like every guy suddenly forgot every piece of advice he gave

What he said was terrible but suspending a guy for what he did at 17 is odd to me. I am interested to know why this would be a good idea and am open to changing my mind. If it came out that another player was in a hate group in high school but had put that behind him should he still be suspended? Honestly I was pretty rascist as a high school kid but I didn't have social media to post stupid things on. So is the issue that he said it or that it was still open to people? Just trying understand the suspension part. If he is suspended for 3 to 5 games that is ok I would just find it to be an odd precedent

Braun was a regular, outspoken player who won an MVP that a LOT of people didn't like prior to him even getting busted. He's married to a lingerie model and made a name for himself being a cocky playboy. He was busted for something that made him better on the field - he cheated at the game. In baseball that's much more egregious than this.

We (Brewers fans) have a bias in assessing how big of a deal this is. If I'm on ESPN.com this morning and see this story about an Astros reliever I've barely heard of, I maybe read the blurb and then go get my coffee. I just don't think this has serious staying power. I actually had to look up who mocked Darvish in the World Series because I couldn't remember who it was.

I have a close friend who's father was killed in the Oak Creek Sikh Temple shootings. He's now best friends and works closely with a former KKK white supremacist. The latter has now completely turned his life around and now speaks out against hate and bigotry. People say and do stupid things, especially at a young age. People change.

Those here who demand Hader pay a bigger price that what he did last night are completely dismissing the possibility that he is a dramatically different person at 24 than he was at 17. The reality is, most people are.

he's not going to get the treatment Braun gets, thats for sure. he's going to get negativity towards him from other fans/stadiums.. but he doesn't play in every game, and all it takes is a week of him not playing for people to "forget".

Braun has gone weeks and months without playing and people have not forgotten. Also, I feel like this issue is a bit more sensitive for many people. Perhaps I'm wrong, but I'm not so sure this is going to "go away" as fast as some believe it will.

I don't know. I can totally see the baseball purists considering what Braun did to be a much higher order of offense.

maybe its because I didnt say it, but the media part you cut out, I was implying that the media wont let us forget (partially/mainly because of money). It'll resonate within the Milwaukee area without the national media attention, but on a national level, it wont without attention from national media.

Posted: July 10, 2014, 12:30 AM

PrinceFielderx1 Said:

If the Brewers don't win the division I should be banned. However, they will.

Last visited: September 03, 2014, 7:10 PM

Please no fake community service! If Hader wasn't performing any type of community service for certain organizations before, don't start now. That will come off as fake whether it is or not. And no canned press conference.

If, however, I was his agent I would suggest he do a press conference from the heart. Walk through what he tweeted and be honest about it. If he really didn't like blacks and gays at the time, say so and explain how you have changed. Or maybe he never did hate, and was just saying things to get a rise out of people. Whatever the case, just walk through it, you are truly sorry and this is the person I am today.

That's all he can do. Then all I can do is hope what he said is true. But all that really matters is what's in his heart, and we'll never know that.

When groups of people get it in their heads to ruin someone, they can do it.

The guy tweeted "White Power," "KKK," and "I hate gays."

If he's "ruined," I think he deserves a large part of the blame.

Again, he was a minor. I work with minors every day, it's my job. If everything I hear them say, write, etc. comes back on them 7 years from now, I can't comprehend how that helps our society.

What he did was dumb, but should it effect the rest of his life?

"I'm sick of runnin' from these wimps!" Ajax - The WARRIORS

Brewer Fanatic Contributor
By the way, if people want a comparison, Josh Allen of the Buffalo Bills did this same thing. Wrote similar type stuff on Twitter in high school. As a first round pick in the NFL this past spring, Allen is a higher profile person (and he's a quarterback).

That's a pretty good comparison. I did some reading on his situation and here is what one columnist wanted:

He should consider, on his own, doing a little community service or writing an essay for a national magazine — anything that can serve to show others that such behavior will not be tolerated or excused.

"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

It's all so inauthentic and pointless. I don't view Hader as any kind of victim, but this crap is never about ending racism/misogyny/whatever. It's about destroying people, standing on a pedestal and enjoying a good witch hunt because some people have nothing better to do.

No, it's not all about destroying people. It's about a person saying some really hateful things and being held accountable for it. It's not a witch hunt, he said these things. And throughout his professional career as an adult knew that stuff was out there and wasn't bothered by it enough to get rid of it.

I agree there's a difference between saying it when you're 17 vs 23. But from many of the posts I've seen, it sounds like people dismiss it completely because he was 17. I don't. As I said earlier, all we can do is hope he really has changed- for his own sake.

Yes, it is about destroying people. Well, maybe destroyed is too strong of a word, but Hader's life will never be the same after this. Do you really think a 30 day suspension and some classes is going to hold Hader "accountable" in the eyes of those who vilify him after this? No, in the eyes of most of them, he is vile and can never be redeemed.

As far as him knowing it was out there and not bothering to get rid of it now, that's naive. I can assure you if it was in any way in his mind that those were still out there, he was well aware of what could happen if they ever became public, so I really doubt it was just something he couldn't be bothered by. Quite a bit more likely that like the the billions of other social media tweets and posts that people made 6-7 years ago, it simply became a lost memory.

I still occasionally have Facebook remind me of something I posted 7-8 years ago, and while not vile or anything like what was posted, still makes me look at it and say, "Wow really, I said that? I would never say that now."

When groups of people get it in their heads to ruin someone, they can do it.

The guy tweeted "White Power," "KKK," and "I hate gays."

If he's "ruined," I think he deserves a large part of the blame.

Again, he was a minor. I work with minors every day, it's my job. If everything I hear them say, write, etc. comes back on them 7 years from now, I can't comprehend how that helps our society.

What he did was dumb, but should it effect the rest of his life?

I havent seen them all, but are those from 2011 or from the faked 2016 tweets.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor
What he said was terrible but suspending a guy for what he did at 17 is odd to me. I am interested to know why this would be a good idea and am open to changing my mind. If it came out that another player was in a hate group in high school but had put that behind him should he still be suspended? Honestly I was pretty rascist as a high school kid but I didn't have social media to post stupid things on. So is the issue that he said it or that it was still open to people? Just trying understand the suspension part. If he is suspended for 3 to 5 games that is ok I would just find it to be an odd precedent

It wouldn't be a suspension for what he did at 17. It would be a suspension for being a moron. Yeah, he was a kid when he wrote that stupid stuff, but apparently he also didn't think it mattered enough to go back and delete those tweets once he was in the public eye. That's the choice he made as an adult, and likely why there will be consequences.

Is it possible that he has already received consequences for these tweets? I would think that his high school coaches, teachers, and other school officials, parents, etc... would have been informed in some way about these tweets at the time they were posted. But, since the tweets were still on his account years later, probably not. Still hard for me to believe that this went unaccounted for back in 2011 and 2012.

It wouldn't be a suspension for what he did at 17. It would be a suspension for being a moron. Yeah, he was a kid when he wrote that stupid stuff, but apparently he also didn't think it mattered enough to go back and delete those tweets once he was in the public eye. That's the choice he made as an adult, and likely why there will be consequences.

You can't suspend someone for being a moron.

Gurriel got a 5 game suspension for his gesture towards Yu Darvish in the WS last year. I don't think Hader would be punished more than that for something he did before he was even in organized baseball.

I have a close friend who's father was killed in the Oak Creek Sikh Temple shootings. He's now best friends and works closely with a former KKK white supremacist. The latter has now completely turned his life around and now speaks out against hate and bigotry. People say and do stupid things, especially at a young age. People change.

Those here who demand Hader pay a bigger price that what he did last night are completely dismissing the possibility that he is a dramatically different person at 24 than he was at 17. The reality is, most people are.

I'm guessing that if the former kkk white supremacist had posted things in social media in the past he has since gone back and deleted them or cancelled the account. This may have been a simple case by Hader of just not ever thinking about those old tweets and so never thinking about going out and deleting them, but it's still careless. Unfortunately, no matter what kind of person you are, you have to pay for being careless sometimes.

I am too old to grasp the desire or need to get involved with social media. I grew up in the age where people talked to each other either in person or on the phone, made friends by interacting one-on-one and any thoughts I expressed were lost in the ether of someones memory or just lost and not stored on a server in some remote "cloud"... Today we have so many outlets where people are sitting alone and publishing their thoughts to be stored forever and even if they delete them could be cached on a google server somewhere.... These are no longer random, stupid stuff that you don't believe in, or fully understood the perception of a viewer, they are a part of your permanent record... What get's lost in the current climate is that you are a record of all of your thoughts and deeds and not just of a subset of your record... So we are shocked by the fraction of a persons tweets/posts, while we ignore >99.99% of what they have done and say/post... I don't have a problem with how Hader has handled the situation... He's answered questions and disavowed the tweets... He in no way has advocated or supported the hate, which is all we can expect from someone who makes a mistake like he did... The issue should be with those that peddle the same stereotypes and hate when they have the chance to disavow them (like the "musicians" he is quoting)...

Archived