Brewer Fanatic

Hader Tweets

FVBrewerFan
My take is that he did it for shock value and to maybe get some sick laughs and he can't quite figure out how to explain that.

yup, that is more than likely the case.

Have you guys ever spent time with teenage boys? I mean a group of teenage boys that you are not the parent of? Nothing they do or say surprises me anymore... You can say as many times as you want that "they should know better" or "they should know wrong from right," but the mob mentality, and the things they do to impress their peers is mind boggling. Teenage boys, even as old as 17 and seniors in high school just aren't that smart...

"I'm sick of runnin' from these wimps!" Ajax - The WARRIORS

• Replies 283
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I wouldn’t be shocked if he disliked gay people. Talking about the gay person he saw in public certainly is more than “shock value” to me. Not that it is right, but that is pretty common for teenagers. Especially 7 years ago....

Maybe he still “hates gay people”...then again the amount of MLB players that hate gay people is probably sadly way too significant. So how much of a whipping boy would you even really want to make him? Some of these athletes hate all kinds of people.

These tweets just seem so insignificant to me considering everything.

By the way, some have said, "we've all said and done awful things." I haven't. A lot of people haven't.

I likely skew way to the liberal end of the posters on this board. I have very little tolerance for racism, homophobia, anti-semitism, and the like (I encountered anti-semitism playing Overwatch last night, which was so much fun).

That said, I'm not going to go nuts over Hader's tweets. I wouldn't be surprised if he was a bit of a homophobe back then (I'm not saying he was, but I just wouldn't be surprised), but I would be willing to bet that the tweets were a product of him being a dumbass, running with a bad crowd, and trying to impress/get a rise out of his stupid buddies. Not that I know the dude at all, but he seems to get along great with his teammates (and Jeffress, in particular, which I would think would be tough to fake if he really was racist) and just doesn't appear to a guy with views today that are as detestable as those tweets seven years ago might indicate.

Plus, since he never thought to go back and delete them, he almost certainly didn't remember posting them, which also probably means he doesn't think that way today.

Look, that was some bad stuff he posted and he should be ashamed of himself. And while I don't buy the whole "he was just 17" excuse, there is a big leap in maturity to be made from then to now, which he seems to have made. I don't think his life should be ruined over it.

I'm glad that his teammates have are being supportive of him. And I hope that he is able to demonstrate to the world that he isn't what those tweets suggest he was back then.

It's unfortunate for sure. But Hader isn't the victim. He's the guy with the history of ignorant words that are hurtful and insulting to a lot of people. It doesn't matter if he wrote those things to get a laugh or not. If he said he hates groups of people, it's not unreasonable or incorrect for them to take him at his word, and the onus remains on him to demonstrate his contrition and growth on a timetable not of his choosing.

I don't as I can't imagine how anyone would apportion blame to them...

I blame them for not having this cleaned up before it became a story. I can't believe they don't (or didn't because I'm sure they do now) have someone in their marketing / PR department who's job it was to review social media for all the players in their organization.

If you read past the line you quoted of my post, you will see that I pretty much agree with you. I don't think the Brewers should be blamed for the content of Hader's tweets prior to him becoming a Brewer. I do believe they should do some forensic searching to point out to players that there are posts that are objectionable.

Remember we still live in a democracy. While the Brewers (as his employer) have a very good argument that they can control his twitter and social media (as these reflect directly upon Hader's employer), they do not have the right to regulate his prior twits (i.e. Free Speech)... It's a fine line, but they can tell him that all of his social media releases must be "approved" and they can tell him that his past needs to be cleaned up before he's allowed to continue with approval posting on social media. They can't tell him to delete pre-Brewers stuff outright, but I assume since he has shown contrition that if they had flagged these from when he was 17 that he would have deleted them himself... An employer can't control what you do in your private life, but they can argue that given the type of job/industry that they are in that a player really has no private life when they post under their own name...

Agreed and to take it a step further I’m shocked his agent and friends and family didn’t go over his social media. It’s not like it’s that time consuming.

http://forum.brewerfan.net/viewtopic.php?f=73&t=4208#discussion_not_allowed

Racial and ethnic discussions not allowed here.... your own rules. Contentious topic.

I think the difference is that nobody here initiated the thread on our own. It was in response to something in the news about a Brewers player.

To me that makes it different than the stuff of the political board.

What's done is done. Can't delete them if they've been re-tweeted.

The question is whether he's truly changed and matured over the last seven years. Based on his relationship with his teammates, particularly teammates of color, it seems like he has.

The human brain isn't fully developed until about age 25. Lots of maturation happens between the age of 17 and 24.

Racial and ethnic discussions not allowed here.... your own rules. Contentious topic.

I think the difference is that nobody here initiated the thread on our own. It was in response to something in the news about a Brewers player.

A brewerfan.net human poster started this thread... so yeah, someone initiated the discussion in the Major League Forum.

So writing here in the Major League Forum about morality, discussion about right vs. wrong behavior, why something is wrong, correct punishment for failures, forgiveness, redemption, and all that is fine here since there is/was a Josh Hader story about these race, sex, and ethnic topics?

Didn't see that in your rules....

Merrifield, Trout, and Schwarber apparently had tweets that weren’t all that great too.

Are they being raked over the coals too, because I'm not seeing their names in national headlines.

"I'm sick of runnin' from these wimps!" Ajax - The WARRIORS

Brewer Fanatic Contributor

A brewerfan.net human poster started this thread... so yeah, someone initiated the discussion in the Major League Forum.

So writing here in the Major League Forum about morality, discussion about right vs. wrong behavior, why something is wrong, correct punishment for failures, forgiveness, redemption, and all that is fine here since there is/was a Josh Hader story about these race, sex, and ethnic topics?

Didn't see that in your rules....

Take this up in private via PM with a moderator. Any further posts along this line are gonna be deleted. Thanks.

What's done is done. Can't delete them if they've been re-tweeted.

The question is whether he's truly changed and matured over the last seven years. Based on his relationship with his teammates, particularly teammates of color, it seems like he has.

The human brain isn't fully developed until about age 25. Lots of maturation happens between the age of 17 and 24.

People still hate; age doesn't matter. Even our best selves are like filthy rags.

Merrifield, Trout, and Schwarber apparently had tweets that weren’t all that great too.

Are they being raked over the coals too?

You’re answering your own question. Just a guess but I’d think in a baseball locker room their tweets aren’t all that uncommon. They sure seemed comfortable with their language and they weren’t 17.

You know any alpha HS and college male jocks who speak in terms of sensitivity and diversity?

Are they being raked over the coals too, because I'm not seeing their names in national headlines.

It's obviously not that bad or they were fake tweets or something otherwise people would be talking about it. I saw right after the Hader stuff that Trout stuff came out and the most offensive thing I saw there was Trout wanted to eat at Pizza Hut. There might be more since then since I haven't paid attention but I'm guessing not since nobody in the media is saying anything.

I could not care in the slightest bit what these people do or think, only if they can win games. I would sign Luke Heimlich tomorrow if I ran a team, without a second thought. I'd sign a convicted murderer if he was somehow out of prison and could pitch or hit.

Would your team have seats/bleachers? Who would run your PR department?

If they win, people will watch. Whether or not the players are good people means a lot less than people think.

Travis Sarandos has a far worse twitter history than Josh Hader. The fact that bcb lets him write for them is crazy.

Huh??

Yeah he likes to run his mouth. He posted on twitter during one of the previous service holidays hoping for more dead troops, among other things. He's free to have his opinions, but it's hilarious that he's one to criticize poor posts from someone else.

Was at the game last night. Confused by the round of applause and many giving a standing ovation when Hader came in. Not saying he should be booed, but showing extra appreciation after racist and homophobic tweets are exposed? Not sure I get that.

And yes, I get that the tweets are 7 years old and he has said all the right things since those tweets have been exposed, but still, a standing ovation?

User in-game thread post in 1st inning of 3rd game of the 2022 season: "This team stinks"

Was at the game last night. Confused by the round of applause and many giving a standing ovation when Hader came in. Not saying he should be booed, but showing extra appreciation after racist and homophobic tweets are exposed? Not sure I get that.

And yes, I get that the tweets are 7 years old and he has said all the right things since those tweets have been exposed, but still, a standing ovation?

Probably the same fans that were booing Machado lol

Probably the same fans that were booing Machado lol

Yeah, I was thinking the same thing.

User in-game thread post in 1st inning of 3rd game of the 2022 season: "This team stinks"

This was beaten to death in the game thread last night but I think its pretty obvious that the intent of the ovation to most was to show support and forgiveness -- it was obviously not a condoning of what he said 7 years ago.

As I also said last night, nothing the fans could have done wouldn't be criticized by someone today. I don't think anyone specifically said to boo, but plenty said to just not react at all? Really?

I can tell you exactly how that would be construed today: that the fans didn't even acknowledge it and acted like nothing ever happened. Fine by me, but we all know how well simply not acknowledging it would have gone over by some groups, not well. Ignoring it is being part of the problem, many would say.

Nothing the fans could have done would have made everyone happy.

Archived