Brewer Fanatic

Hader Tweets

FVBrewerFan

Well, someone had to do it. This story isn't going away any time soon, so as uncomfortable as it may be I think this needs it's own thread. (Is currently being discussed in two or three different threads.) Please keep the discussion civil, I know the Mods will be watching carefully.

What will the Brewers/ MLB do? What do you think they should do?

One thing I'll throw out there, no matter what happens in the coming days, if anything at all comes out that he's said, tweeted, snap chatted, etc. in the last 2-3 years that 's the end of Josh Hader as a Brewer, maybe as a MLB player period. So let's hope, at the very least, he's grown as a person and there's nothing else hanging out there.

• Replies 283
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Assigning an intern to review history of all players in the organization and prospective trade targets wouldn't be the worst of ideas.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor

Assigning an intern to review history of all players in the organization and prospective trade targets wouldn't be the worst of ideas.

Hindsight is 20/20, but they have a team of social media people who post pictures of dogs and players dancing. I personally think that stuff is idiotic, but if you are going to have these people on your payroll, this type of thing should be a priority over reenacting Dumb and Dumber scenes.

I've said my piece on this, but why any athlete with professional aspirations is even on the circus that is social media is alarming to me. A couple of guys from my high school made it to the NFL and MLB, and all of their pages were shut down prior to the drafts.

Hindsight is 20/20, but they have a team of social media people who post pictures of dogs and players dancing. I personally think that stuff is idiotic, but if you are going to have these people on your payroll, this type of thing should be a priority over reenacting Dumb and Dumber scenes.

Given the alarming rate that this kind of stuff happens with pro athletes, it seems like having an employee/intern keep an eye on social media for this should be at least a low level priority.

Do we know they weren't aware of the tweets?

If they were, and no one advised/respectfully requested/demanded that Hader cleanse them from his Twitter page, their heads should roll.

I know that may be technically breaking the law to do that, but come on! If I filled my Facebook page up with hateful stuff, you can bet I'd be in the company owner's office the next day.

Yea, it's pretty baffling that old tweets like these still come up. Every organization in pro sports should be scanning all of their players social media accounts for crap like this. Or how about the agents that are getting a big cut? Isn't this what they are paid to do as well?

His tweets are horrific. And on top of that, his fiance's twitter has the same homophobic sentiments all over it. His 2 minute apology after the game last night didn't impress me at all, everyone deserves a second chance, but I find it hard to believe he and his fiance could post those things in the first place. What a disaster.

Yea I don't know how this isn't Agent 101 after you sign a client at this point. Go through their FB, Insta, and Twitter. Done.

If all there is stuff from when he was 17ish yrs old I feel like you have to try and give a second chance that now that he's gotten out in the world that he realizes things are a bit different. But yea the ones I saw were pretty bad. I just find it pretty hard to think that with how diverse baseball locker rooms are with 1/3 of the team being latino that you can still hold these types of believes or act racist/negative towards folks.

I hate this crap. The words are ugly, but the digging up old Tweets is probably my least favorite thing of all that silly nonsense on the Internet and I felt this way long before this happened. I glanced at Hader's stuff and it is the product of a kid who is, let's be honest, not the brightest guy, spouting off to get a reaction/quoting pop culture. Stuff that lots of teenagers do. The other 50% of it was rap lyrics and meme references that most people don't get. Then there's the Trayvon Martin reference from 2016, which, while not a good look, doesn't really fall under the umbrella of the rest of the Tweets, and frankly reflects a sentiment that a lot of people share. I'm not agreeing with it, just saying, that opinion is one I've seen and heard about a thousand times.

Lorenzo Cain and Jeremy Jeffress, who've spent time with the guy daily for a year, come out and vouch for the 24-year-old version of Hader immediately, but the 20-year-old Twitter warriors know this guy better than they do. Up next will be hot take articles about how Cain and Jeffress let the black community down by not burning Hader at the stakes immediately.

Now, I've seen comparisons to John Rocker (not just the one above). If people can't really separate these two things, I don't know where we go from there. John Rocker gave an in-depth profile to a journalist about why he hated diversity and certain groups of people. We're equating that with this? Really?

This is such low-hanging fruit. I'm just exhausted of it. Harmful racism in today's society is thinly veiled, stuff like denied housing applications and employment discrimination. Not teenager Tweets that nobody reasonable takes seriously. This is today's culture; someone in a basement scrolling through Twitter for dirt to put a black mark on what's supposed to be a fun night for everybody. And that's not to make Josh Hader a victim here. I just really loathe the total absence of context in our culture today.

I've said my piece on this, but why any athlete with professional aspirations is even on the circus that is social media is alarming to me. A couple of guys from my high school made it to the NFL and MLB, and all of their pages were shut down prior to the drafts.

There is also a discussion about this in the All-Star game thread from last night. I mentioned that when Jarred Kelenic from Waukesha was drafted last month his twitter account was shut down right around the time he was drafted. I assumed it was for "clean up" purposes.

User in-game thread post in 1st inning of 3rd game of the 2022 season: "This team stinks"

There is also a discussion about this in the All-Star game thread from last night. I mentioned that when Jarred Kelenic from Waukesha was drafted last month his twitter account was shut down right around the time he was drafted. I assumed it was for "clean up" purposes.

Yep, the funny thing about that is, when he was drafted I looked him up on Twitter. I found a couple things that I thought were questionable. I can't recall what they were, but it took me about 10 second to find them and I thought, wow, this kid really seems to have a good head on his shoulders, I can't believe someone hasn't talked to him about this.

I hate this digging in the past thing with athletes. It gets old. I know we all did/said stupid stuff when we were younger. If I'm being honest with myself, there's a bunch of stupid stuff I said when I was younger that I wouldn't be caught dead saying today.

With that said, obviously he had to apologize for it, and he did. Like someone mentioned above this it the type of thing that agents should look at when a player signs on to make sure that all of this is gone.

Ultimately it shouldn't have been posted to begin with, and I'm sure Josh regrets it and like he said, he'll deal with the consequences. In my opinion I think the PR hit from this is punishment enough, as is the shame he'll have to deal with in the clubhouse.

Then there's the Trayvon Martin reference from 2016, which, while not a good look, doesn't really fall under the umbrella of the rest of the Tweets.

That one seems to be fake, according to a number of twitter users.

Hader’s tweets are brutal and absolutely he will go through some sort of MLB/team led sensitivity training. Those words he uses have no place in our society.

It should also be noted that the person/people who uncovered these tweets and blasted them out during the middle of the All-Star Game have contributed to the darkness of this issue. That was a dirty play on the part of those who are involved. Hate piled on top of hate seems to be the way some like to solve problems. They are likely celebrating the fact that they sabotaged Hader. His tweets are horrible but so was the intention of the people who leaked them out.

Hader’s tweets are brutal and absolutely he will go through some sort of MLB/team led sensitivity training. Those words he uses have no place in our society.

It should also be noted that the person/people who uncovered these tweets and blasted them out during the middle of the All-Star Game have contributed to the darkness of this issue. That was a dirty play on the part of those who are involved. Hate piled on top of hate seems to be the way some like to solve problems. They are likely celebrating the fact that they sabotaged Hader. His tweets are horrible but so was the intention of the people who leaked them out.

Yeah, this is pretty salient to me. You can't call it out because then you're "defending" Hader or whoever said them. But it's a totally valid point. The people leading these crusades are not out for behavior correction or anything noble. They want people to burn. Most of the time they won't accept any apology, any course of corrective behavior and want no part of redemption. They want blood. It's all over the Internet and has permeated our culture today.

You can't call it out because then you're "defending" Hader or whoever said them.

This.

Dialogue has become so broken. Polarization of many issues has become so severe that once a person espouses a view that is aligned with one "side" it is as if there can't be any nuance.

I can be mad at Hader for his thoughts and words. I can also believe that MLB doesn't really have ground to stand on for a suspension or fine.

Quite shocking to say the least. Some pretty awful tweets, not a good look for Hader. This will be something he will wear now the rest of his career. Would not have taken him for the John Rocker type, but here we are.

Wow, way to jump the gun on this one. Rocker, according to Wikipedia:

Stated that the biggest thing he didn't like about NY was the foreigners, and "having to sit next to some q**** with aids" in a bus

Referred to a curocoan teammate as a fat monkey, and mocked an Asian woman during an interview session

Directed slurs towards patrons at a Dallas restaurant located in a heavily LGBT populated area

Said that the holocaust could have been prevented in Germany had there not been gun control laws

... And this wasn't when he was 17.

Im not justifying what Hader did, but making the comparison to rocker could not be more hyperbolic

Archived