Brewer Fanatic

Manny Machado (Part 2)

Sources: The Orioles have structure of a deal in place, and are going through the medicals/paperwork portion of the transaction. Dodgers have been very invested in their pursuit of Machado, as have the Phillies and other teams, but this in not finished yet.

Buster Olney 5 minutes ago

• Replies 519
  • Created
  • Last Reply

"Sources: The Orioles have structure of a deal in place, and are going through the medicals/paperwork portion of the transaction. Dodgers have been very invested in their pursuit of Machado, as have the Phillies and other teams, but this in not finished yet."

Doesn't necessarily mean much. Orioles would be doing their due diligence and looking at the medicals of any offer proposed.

One of my least favorite thing these reports say is, “talks are fluid”...basically excusing them of being wrong.

I may be in the minority, but I’d rather keep Phillips and be our starting right fielder. Plus defense with some pop. Thames could be traded to Yankees or something.

New Tweet:

There's between a 1-99% chance that the deal is close, or maybe close. Teams have offered players. Maybe they haven't though. The deal will be complete by Friday's games. Unless it's not, then it won't. This situation is fluid and can change in the next 48 seconds based on the next know it all putting up information that he's guessing on. Stay tuned. The front runner is currently a team in major league baseball. Maybe not though. Might be a darkhorse team.

Got this from a guy who is a dude who knows this one guy.

Boras is not Machado's agent unless there was a very recent switch.

https://www.pressboxonline.com/2018/02/17/manny-machado-im-here-to-be-an-oriole (indicates Dan Lozano is his agent)

http://www.baltimoresun.com/sports/orioles/blog/bs-sp-orioles-boras-20171213-story.html (says Boras does not represent Machado)

I did a quick search and saw something that said he was, but clearly you are correct.

The Dodgers have several tops arms that they could take off the board and still have enough minor league pitching to swing a Machado deal, but over the last couple years they have been so incredibly stingy with arms that I still think the Phillies would be the favorite.

Community Moderator
Boras is not Machado's agent unless there was a very recent switch.

https://www.pressboxonline.com/2018/02/17/manny-machado-im-here-to-be-an-oriole (indicates Dan Lozano is his agent)

http://www.baltimoresun.com/sports/orioles/blog/bs-sp-orioles-boras-20171213-story.html (says Boras does not represent Machado)

I did a quick search and saw something that said he was, but clearly you are correct.

Oops, yeah I thought he was as well (could have swore I read that he was recently). That is my mistake, thank you for the correction.

Not just “at Night” anymore.

We have lots of sources now and the Brewers are run much different than they were a number of years ago when we weren't unable to extract what we could extract today. So today we're number one in the league at that, and I think we'll be out there competing very strongly.

Community Moderator
I'd rather him go to the Dodgers than Phillies frankly. I think the Dodgers will make the playoffs regardless, Phillies may not.

Completely agree with that point. The Phillies may very well be the Brewers biggest competition for a playoff spot down the stretch.

sorry but i on the side you don't move young controllable arms for a rental

All rentals aren’t equal. Machado is putting up MVP type numbers. If we have to move Ortiz or Woodruff, who I think both end up in the bullpen anyway, I think we should have.

In the young controllable arms category I would say

Burnes - no way. he really shouldnt be included in much of any deal. I have been able to watch him a few times and he has really good stuff

Woodruff- no for a rental but I would include him in a deal for someone who had an extra year or two on their deal. I think the Brewers are misusing Woodruff right now

Ortiz - yes for a rental. I just dont think he will be a great pitcher. Just my guy

Community Moderator

From Rosenthal..

#Orioles will keep other clubs engaged until end in event they need to pivot. They have had top scout sitting on #Dodgers⁠ ⁠’ system in recent days. But nothing will be done until the O’s are comfortable with the deal they are getting and the medicals of the players involved.

One way or another it looks like there is a decent chance we’ll get to see Machado at Miller Park this weekend.

I think we end up with a new SS by Friday and it won't be Machado. Just my gut instinct at this point.

I think if the Brewers can't land Machado, they pivot to improving 2B instead. Saladino has been great at SS for us. A guy like Dozier or even Merrifield (if we are willing to give up a haul) could go a long way. I would say a guy like Asdrubal Cabrera would be great (and he would) but I have no idea what is going on in the Mets front office.

If Machado goes to L.A, I fully expect him to have at least 2 go-ahead 9th inning HRs against us in the first series after the break. Because that just seems to be exactly how it would go for us after all this.

From Rosenthal..

#Orioles will keep other clubs engaged until end in event they need to pivot. They have had top scout sitting on #Dodgers⁠ ⁠’ system in recent days. But nothing will be done until the O’s are comfortable with the deal they are getting and the medicals of the players involved.

One way or another it looks like there is a decent chance we’ll get to see Machado at Miller Park this weekend.

I don't know. A few days ago the Yankees had a done deal. Yesterday the Phillies had a done deal. Now the Dodgers have a done deal.

but it's not like every guy suddenly forgot every piece of advice he gave

If Machado goes to L.A, I fully expect him to have at least 2 go-ahead 9th inning HRs against us in the first series after the break. Because that just seems to be exactly how it would go for us after all this.

Usually am an optimist myself, and don't want to trade what's necessary to get Machado because he is a rental, but I 100% concur with this.

Archived