Brewer Fanatic

Manny Machado (Part 2)

• Replies 519
  • Created
  • Last Reply

According to Steve Phillips of MLB Network Radio, there is a "possible snag" in the Dodgers' expected acquisition of Orioles superstar Manny Machado.

Phillips hears from a source that "one or more" of the prospects that the Dodgers offered to Baltimore had some "issues in their physicals" -- as in, medical issues. This is not new territory for the Orioles, who have multiple times in the recent past rejected trades and asked for contracts to be reworked following physical examinations. Ken Rosenthal of The Athletic reported Tuesday night, during the MLB All-Star Game, that Machado was all but certain to be dealt to Los Angeles before the start of the second half. Phillips now writes that this situation "may open the door for other clubs" to jump back in. Stay tuned.

Source: Steve Phillips on Twitter

Jul 18 - 2:29 PM

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Jon Heyman of Fancred reports that the medical holdup with the Manny Machado trade isn't related to Dodgers outfield prospect Yusniel Diaz.

Diaz is the headliner of the deal, so any problem with him probably would've meant the deal falling apart. Since the medical issue is with more of a complementary piece, the two sides still figure to work things out even if it means having to alter the trade a bit. It wouldn't appear to be a slam dunk anymore, though, so it's possible the Phillies and/or Brewers put in a call to see if they can jump back in.

Source: Jon Heyman on Twitter

Jul 18 - 4:35 PM

"I'm sick of runnin' from these wimps!" Ajax - The WARRIORS

Maybe I'm being overly simplistic here, but if we did have the second best offer as was reported, if by chance the deal with the Dodgers fell apart, that would presumably put us in the driver's seat, would it not?

If your Stearns do you still offer the same package that was once second? Another part of the game. Could have had that deal before but you went with the other and now player X is off limits so you'll have to settle for player Y.

Maybe I'm being overly simplistic here, but if we did have the second best offer as was reported, if by chance the deal with the Dodgers fell apart, that would presumably put us in the driver's seat, would it not?

My guess is the Dodgers are scrambling right now, trying desperately to rework this deal. He's a Dodger, and that is that.

:tongue

Apparently that Steve Phillips came on the radio, below are some notes I found online regarding what he had to say. I wonder if the Dodgers would completely pull out if they felt like they were being jerked around...

"Steve Philips is on am 570 right now, and here's my secretary notes as he's speaking:

1) Orioles got burned by some dude in the 70s, and since then they've been uber thorough re. their physicals (over thorough according to baseball people)

2) Those prospect(s) who didn't pass the Orioles' physical will either get re tested by the O's or diff prospects will have to be included

3) Phillips as Mets GM tried trading Todd Hundley to Baltimore, and the O's management wanted Hundley to come down and take their own physical. Phillips told Baltimore if you guys do your insane physical and claim that Hundley didn't pass, then everyone will know Hundley failed a physical and he'll be untradeable. The Mets traded Hundley to the Dodgers.

4) O's doctors are the most conservative and risk averse team of doctors in the league

5) Angelos is a wild card; deals get done and get sent to him, and Angelos will overrule the baseball people.

6) This deal is on hold, and it could open the door for other teams to get involved. But Manny will get dealt"

There's a decent chance Machado doesn't get traded at simply because Baltimore will run out of time to give the physicals.

What a trainwreck of an organization. Reminds of the Wendy Selig-Prieb/Dean Taylor days.

Oh dear lord 2 words I never wanted to or thought i would hear again :

Dean Taylor.

As long as the medicals get delayed for another couple days I am good, don't want to play against Machado this weekend

oh man, that is a great point.

As long as the medicals get delayed for another couple days I am good, don't want to play against Machado this weekend

oh man, that is a great point.

Sounds like the issues have been resolved. Should see Machado in Dodger blue on Friday.

but it's not like every guy suddenly forgot every piece of advice he gave

Roch Kubatko

@masnRoch

Looks like the Machado trade to the #dodgers will go through. #orioles getting back 5 players. Told just some "final points to review" and that medical concerns have been "all but addressed." Not a deal-breaker. So stay tuned

5:22 PM - 18 Jul 2018

For some reason, I hated the idea of a rental that wasn't a starting pitcher. And a #1 or #2 at that.

Am I the only one that was thinking that ?

Of course rentals are never ideal anyway

For some reason, I hated the idea of a rental that wasn't a starting pitcher. And a #1 or #2 at that.

Uh yah, read a few pages of the thread. Kind of a silly question when most didn’t really want him and almost no one wanted him for the price.

Uh yah, read a few pages of the thread. Kind of a silly question when most didn’t really want him and almost no one wanted him for the price.

Sorry about that - I've been swamped - good to hear. Thanks for the heads up

Archived