Brewer Fanatic

Manny Machado (Part 2)

Lol I’d love to see you explain the math to me on that one? Whole top 10 list pretty much whipped clean

Still couldn't do it without including MLB talent or a 3rd team to send that MLB talent to.

• Replies 519
  • Created
  • Last Reply
You know this, how??

How do you know Machado puts them over the top?

I don't for certain..but what I am 100% certain of is Manny would have given them a FAR better chance of putting them over the top THIS YEAR, than anyone they would have included in the trade..because it's probable not a single one of them is even on the MLB roster right now, or if they are..they are not major contributors. It's playing the odds, and in this instance..what they would have given up, had far less odds of being significant contributors to their success this year than Manny would have. It's that simple.

Lol I’d love to see you explain the math to me on that one? Whole top 10 list pretty much whipped clean

Still couldn't do it without including MLB talent or a 3rd team to send that MLB talent to.

Piece of cake, do it all the time on my Nintendo.

but it's not like every guy suddenly forgot every piece of advice he gave

I don't even think that would do it.

Perhaps Brewcrewin07 has developed the science to clone Corbin Burnes and Keston Hiura? Those seem to be the only guys other teams want.

I like how these "prospects" are just unproven nothings, but yet presumably good enough to secure all of arguably the best starter, catcher, and SS in baseball.

You know this, how??

I don't for certain..but what I am 100% certain of is Manny would have given them a FAR better chance of putting them over the top THIS YEAR, than anyone they would have included in the trade..because it's probable not a single one of them is even on the MLB roster right now, or if they are..they are not major contributors. It's playing the odds, and in this instance..what they would have given up, had far less odds of being significant contributors to their success this year than Manny would have. It's that simple.

Yeah, I mean, who cares about next year......or the year after.......or the year after that.........

You know this, how??

Its really not that simple. If you ever land a GM job, I really hope you win a World Series your first year because you will run your franchise into the ground by year 2.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor
You know this, how??

I hear ya man, and I don't think you are wrong. Both sides of this argument are right, though, which makes it more frustrating. It's a matter of preference whether you want them to sell out for a World Series this season, or prefer a slow build to long-term contention. As I mentioned before, there are major risks to both philosophies, especially when you play in the same division as a team like the Cubs with a young, extremely talented core and money to burn.

Greinke had multiple years of control

CC would net a 1st round pick & there was a lot of hope that he’d resign here

Both untrue with Machado

As for we don’t know how many times we will be here.... well this is 2nd straight season we have been in this position.... that GM you keep trashing does this interesting thing called roster building for a competitive & sustainable future. You don’t do that by throwing major chips away for short sided goals. Please list the star players we are losing after this season that lead you to believe since we didn’t buy a rental Machado.... we doomed ourselves. Answer is none by the way. Essentially our entire roster is here until at least 2020 ( beside Thames & Chacin 19 I believe).

Moreover please realize that not trading these prospects now for Machado doesn’t mean they need to be stars on our roster. They are chips that can be used to help us either on the field or another trade. Hopefully for a trade that brings back another great player who has control. Life goes on after Machado. I highly doubt Stearns has thrown in towel on making deals for this season because they didn’t overpay for rental.

Last point Melvin who I love is in no way greater than Stearns. Unlike Stearns, he got short sighted, traded away whole system, and put us in a position where we needed to firesale team & rebuild. For that, we made playoffs twice with no ring. CC was exciting & helped get to playoffs but he didn’t make us a champion. Little proof Machado would either. Stearns is building this team to compete for long time. He can’t do that if he gets dumb & shortsighted. Eyes on now & the future

Proud member since 2003 (geez ha I was 14 then)

FORMERLY BrewCrewWS2008 and YoungGeezy don't even remember other names used

There is absolutely no question in my mind that I take a team built for long term contention 100 out of 100 times.

I lean that way as well. I just wish the Brewers didn't play in a division with a team built with an even stronger foundation. My hope is that the Cubs crappy farm system will eventually come back to bite them, but unfortunately they are a team that can just throw money at a problem as it comes up. I think the Brewers have 4-5 year window of being a strong contender, but its going to be tough dealing with the Cubs every one of those years. It is arguable that compiling one year of a dream team may put them over the top. Of course, it is also arguable that this may not be the year to put together than dream team.

There is absolutely no question in my mind that I take a team built for long term contention 100 out of 100 times.

So this subject went 90 pages for a guy no one wanted.

Yeah ok.

2018 is now. We should absolutely without any doubt be tying to make the playoffs so I’m sure we aren’t done in July.

Yeah ok.

2018 is now. We should absolutely without any doubt be tying to make the playoffs so I’m sure we aren’t done in July.

It's about not giving up Peralta or Burnes. I think plenty of people were ok giving up other pieces.

"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

Yeah ok.

This is a very odd take on his quote as I’m pretty sure that’s not at all what he said.

"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

This 100 times out of 100. This team can only get better in 2019 & 2020 since we retain almost entire roster & Slinging Stearns can keep making moves to build roster & fill holes.

Hiura looks like he can excel offensively at 2nd. Arcia & Dubon will get next year to see if they are future at SS or fill elsewhere. Nottingham will continue to get more looks at catcher to see if he can be guy or Stearns brings in help there. Loaded with upper level SPs with Nelson coming back with whole rotation under contract.... be interesting how he approaches that.

Future is bright.... Machado would have been fun but team is headed in right direction

Yeah ok.

This is a very odd take on his quote as I’m pretty sure that’s not at all what he said.

It’s Manny Machado. Only a truly naive person would think he would go for a package of spare parts. If we were to acquire him it would absolutely be for a big package. So when we don’t get him, it’s cool we didn’t want him anyhow lol.

No matter if a team is a one year wonder or built for the long term, you still have to sell out to win. The Cubs sold out for Chapman. The Astros sold out for Verlander. Stearns hasn't proved he has the stones to do it

Neither of those teams sold out and in the Cubs case they can buy starting pitching (see Darvish, Yu) if they want. Brewers need to develop it.

"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

Yeah ok.

I think vast majority wanted Machado. Just most agree with not for Burnes, Peralta, or Hiura. Argument is that Brewers should have gave O’s whoever and whatever they wanted regardless to who it was just to get Machado. That is where the major disagreement is.

Slinging David Stearns will make moves still & im sure it will be a good one (or two or three). I’m just happy he didn’t budge on his value placement of Machado the rental. If he was 1 1/2 years of control.... bye Hiura, Burnes, and more..... plus we would at least snag a 1st round comp pick after he hits market after a year & half of terrorizing the NL Central.

It’s Manny Machado. Only a truly naive person would think he would go for a package of spare parts. If we were to acquire him it would absolutely be for a big package. So when we don’t get him, it’s cool we didn’t want him anyhow lol.

I was fine with not getting him and said so. Not sure what your point is. We have proof as to what happens when you sell out and blow the farm system wide open. It's called perpetual losing. I'd rather have a chance every year even if it's not a great one than take one big swing in one singular year that is still going to be a crapshoot. I'm just glad DS isn't as short sighted as some on this board.

No matter if a team is a one year wonder or built for the long term, you still have to sell out to win. The Cubs sold out for Chapman. The Astros sold out for Verlander. Stearns hasn't proved he has the stones to do it

I would classify Yelich and Cain as "sell out" moves.

I guess I prefer to wait until Aug. 1 to judge Stern's performance during this season. He's made some nice depth moves grabbing Saladino and Miller.

Huge difference between these 2 teams and us as these teams were on the cusp of winning a World Series and did that to push them over. Yes, we still *could* get there, but it's a clear rush by us to make a "go for it" move. It has nothing to do with having the "stones". I'd say it took a lot of that to go get Yelich and then still sign Cain.

The fact of the matter is that circumstances turned 2018 into a pretty lousy one for us to make an All-in move. This started with the Nelson injury, and we just don't have enough of an infusion of minor league talent this year, combined with many other injuries. You hate to use it as an excuse, but it has been devastating, particularly Nelson.

In 2019, Nelson should be full go, you've got much larger inning targets for Peralta and Burnes, and Hiura is ready. I can see an aggressive move making a lot more sense at this time next year than it does right now. We're just not in that position yet. Not that we can't win this year, but we shouldn't be forcing moves to try. It's simply a year to see what we have and boost our chances as best we can with potential excess roster crunch talent.

"Discretion is the better part of valor"

This isn't even remotely accurate but please feel free to continue to post drive by pot shots. The Cubs almost never have to sell out and Verlander had multiple years of control which isn't a sell out move. This is just a hideous take.

Yeah ok.

You’re talking as if 100% of the fan base wanted Machado no matter what it took and that is completely false. For myself and MANY others, if it took a large package (that’s what she said), we were good with moving in a other direction.

"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

You really cant make your point without that juvenile last sentence?

And you proved the point of why trading major assets for Machado is a bad idea. You get a top tier player when you already have a great team. That was true in both those cases. You don't do it to make a marginal playoff team into a better marginal playoff team.

Archived