Brewer Fanatic

Manny Machado (Part 2)

I'm glad you guys are so certain that all these minor leaguers that they now get to keep, will lead the Brewers to several world series titles. Point being, you don't know how often you will be in a position like this...when you are, you go for it...That's what Melvin did when he acquired CC and Greinke, and lo and behold..it got them in the playoffs. Funny how that works, isn't it??

We were in this position last year and you wanted to "go for it" with Sonny Gray.

2 months of Manny Machado doesn't swing the balance of power in the division.

Also, is that the end goal. Just...playoffs?

• Replies 519
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I'm glad you guys are so certain that all these minor leaguers that they now get to keep, will lead the Brewers to several world series titles. Point being, you don't know how often you will be in a position like this...when you are, you go for it...That's what Melvin did when he acquired CC and Greinke, and lo and behold..it got them in the playoffs. Funny how that works, isn't it??

And Kansas City took our prospects and went to the World Series twice.

I would bet ANYTHING I own, had Doug Melvin been running this show he would have acquired Manny...no matter what.

Man you are coming off as really pechulant here with this. Did you have money on the crew getting him or what?

Wait until the deadline passes to judge him as a GM this year. You can't say he made a bad move when nothing has been done yet. What if we get degrom because we passed up on Machado? What if we end up with realmuto?

We have a couple weeks yet. Patience.

A position like what? Ill gladly take multiple years at playoff runs than one. That’s what Stearns is trying to do.
"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

I am far from a prospect hugger on this site, but you realize the trade deadline isn't for 2 weeks yet right? I'd prefer we not shoot for the wild card game or a 1st round sweep and let the right deal fall into our laps like Yelich did.

And Kansas City took our prospects and went to the World Series twice.

Good thing our GM was smart enough to get two of those players back.

"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

We were in this position last year and you wanted to "go for it" with Sonny Gray.

2 months of Manny Machado doesn't swing the balance of power in the division.

Also, is that the end goal. Just...playoffs?

You know this, how??

I would bet ANYTHING I own, had Doug Melvin been running this show he would have acquired Manny...no matter what.

Man you are coming off as really pechulant here with this. Did you have money on the crew getting him or what?

Wait until the deadline passes to judge him as a GM this year. You can't say he made a bad move when nothing has been done yet. What if we get degrom because we passed up on Machado? What if we end up with realmuto?

What if they could have gotten all 3??

Okay this guy is just trolling at this point. Time for the ignore button.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor

I'll admit that the idea of watching Machado rake at SS for the Brewers for the remainder of the season was pretty exciting. But ... it's debatable whether a decision like that would be in the long term best interest of the team. However, if we are looking for an opening to get above the Cubs, it's going to be difficult. They have more money, and have a younger and arguable more talented core. There may be seasons where the Brewers can get hot and jump ahead of the Cubs ... but I think both teams are pretty well positioned to be neck-and-neck rivals for the next 4-5 seasons. I guess that's what bums me out a bit on the whole Machado thing. He may just have been the missing piece to balance the power against the Cubs, at least for this season.

You guys are right, though, that Stearns has time to make some moves to improve this club, but for the short and long term this season. If he can pull off a deal for a top starting pitcher, catcher or middle infielder (deGrom, Realmuto or Merrifield would be my dream) with control, using the pieces that would have been dealt for Machado, that won't be bad at all. Heck, even if he could pull in someone like Dozier to shore up the middle infield and bottom of the order this season, it will put them in much better position as a playoff contender.

So I guess, while not getting Machado is a bummer, Stearns still has time to position this team for a strong run at the postseason. And going into this season, that's what we all wanted.

That is pretty dramatic man. The Brewers offered a package that in their eyes was fair value for a 2 month rental of Machado. They didn’t get him... you move on to different ways to improve your ballclub. One of David Stearns’ original goals was to create a youthful team that year in and year out is in contention for the playoffs. Fair to say he knows what he’s doing. No one is saying that these guys in the farm are gonna lead us to the WS. But to gut your system, of future contributors, for a guy that will leave us high and dry in the winter is just asinine. We’re a market that can’t recover lost depth all that easily. Be happy Stearns made an offer (2nd best btw) It means he’s going for it like you want. But he’s gonna do it on his terms for the value he deems fair. And not just gonna blow his load to make a move just for the sake of it.

Heck, might as well add Syndergaard and Fulmer while we're at it. Does it really have to be explained why we couldn't have gotten all of DeGrom, Realmuto and Machado?

I am far from a prospect hugger on this site, but you realize the trade deadline isn't for 2 weeks yet right? I'd prefer we not shoot for the wild card game or a 1st round sweep and let the right deal fall into our laps like Yelich did.

A majority of our best prospects and guys likely to be included in this trade are mlb ready guys. They are sorta/kinda prospects, but there isn't a ton of risk left with the guys likely included in the trade.

So if Mark Attanasio still ran the show?

Thank you Plush. People are so ungrateful nowadays. We have a top 5 GM in Milwaukee (!!!) and people are still upset with his roster building philosophy. I’m gonna chalk it up to him being Kato.

Community Moderator
Not that anyone will be surprised by now but Rosenthal reporting Manny to Dodgers definitely happening.

It is sort of an anticlimactic finish to the whole thing.

From Ken Rosenthal...

Can report with more certainty: Machado to #Dodgers⁠ ⁠ happening. Among remaining questions, in addition to specifics of return beyond OF Yusniel Diaz: How much money, if any, #Orioles will send #Dodgers⁠ ⁠ to secure a better package and help ease LAD’s luxury-tax concerns.

Not just “at Night” anymore.

Lol I’d love to see you explain the math to me on that one? Whole top 10 list pretty much whipped clean

Proud member since 2003 (geez ha I was 14 then)

FORMERLY BrewCrewWS2008 and YoungGeezy don't even remember other names used

Brewer Fanatic Contributor

Lol I’d love to see you explain the math to me on that one? Whole top 10 list pretty much whipped clean

I don't even think that would do it.

Perhaps Brewcrewin07 has developed the science to clone Corbin Burnes and Keston Hiura? Those seem to be the only guys other teams want.

Archived