Brewer Fanatic

Manny Machado (Part 2)

• Replies 519
  • Created
  • Last Reply

According to Ken Rosenthal of The Athletic, the Dodgers are "increasingly likely" to land Manny Machado.

Rosenthal notes that several of the other teams tied to Machado also "expect that outcome." There were a number of reports Tuesday suggesting a last-minute play from the Phillies, but the Dodgers apparently have the best offer on the table and it sounds like the medicals and paperwork might already be done. Look for something official by Wednesday afternoon. Major League Baseball frowns on its clubs making big announcements on the day of the All-Star Game.

Source: Ken Rosenthal on Twitter

Jul 17 - 6:12 PM

"I'm sick of runnin' from these wimps!" Ajax - The WARRIORS

Agreed. However, I don't think people understand how much Machado could help this lineup. Machado would have been a huge upgrade for us. Now I fully expect the Brewers to go get Escobar and a pitcher.

Diaz would be a wonderful get for the Orioles. I guess that, at a minimum, he'd be rated as a 51-75 hitter prospect. That would put his prospect surplus value at 25.65 million. That's just him alone. I still feel pretty strongly that Machado's surplus value max is around 16.25 million...but to overpay in the 20-24 million range would still be reasonable. Anything the Orioles would get beyond Diaz would just be icing on the cake.

Community Moderator

In 2011 I was convinced the Brewers should’ve found a way to turn Tyler Thornburg and others into SS Jose Reyes. Ultimately that didn’t work out, but turned out to be a blessing in disguise. I think there is a very good chance the Brewers are ready to move some prospects for tangible major league assets, and the guys being offered up for Machado could still be a part of bringing back significant talent. They could also obviously stick with the organization and turn out to be very good players. I won’t shed a tear over losing out on Machado, but that doesn’t mean I won’t also daydream about what might have been.

Another observation, losing out on Quintana last season and Machado this season goes to show the increased importance of having success in scouting and signing impact International prospects. For the Brewers to have sustained success over the next 5-7 years it will be very important that they hit on a handful of International prospects along the way.

Not just “at Night” anymore.

If the Dodgers rumor is to be believed it's a heckl of a package. Two top 100's plus.

I stopped paying attention but heard about Diaz. What's the supposed package at this point...

Diaz, Rios, May, Jackson or Kremer

"No stones" Stearns is my new nickname for DS....Impact bats like Manny don't come along real often, and when they do, you HAVE to go for it. If it means including Burnes, so be it. So many of you slobber all over Burnes like he's the next Max Scherzer(hopefully he will). Hell, we don't even know if he will ever even become a solid major league starter, let alone a TOR arm. I mean how many home grown TOR arms have the Brewers had through the years?? Ben Sheets, Teddy Higuera, and the list stops there, at least in recent history. Remember, Jeff D'amico, how he was a "can't miss"?? Or Manny Para, Nick Nuegebauer, all these guys that plenty thought would be a TOR arm, how did that turn out??

Sure, DS will probably make a move or two(i'd argue he has to if for no other reason then to alleviate the 40 man crunch), but they will likely be smaller type moves, like Swarzak, Neil Walker type moves. That's disappointing.

Just lovely. Now have finished second for Quintana, Gray and Machado in less than a year. To the three biggest markets in the country too. I know Gray hasn't been good in NY, but who knows what would've happened here. Getting so frustrating,

Community Moderator
Nightingale tweets

The Milwaukee #Brewers' offer was considered the second-strongest by #Orioles officials before opting for #Dodgers⁠ ⁠ package for Manny Machado.

Brewers reportedly had the second best offer on Quintana last year (supposedly the best offer until the Cubs swooped in very late) and now allegedly the second strongest offer for Machado. I would love to someday know the exact players the Brewers offered up in both deals.

Not just “at Night” anymore.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor
"No stones" Stearns is my new nickname for DS....Impact bats like Manny don't come along real often, and when they do, you HAVE to go for it. If it means including Burnes, so be it. So many of you slobber all over Burnes like he's the next Max Scherzer(hopefully he will). Hell, we don't even know if he will ever even become a solid major league starter, let alone a TOR arm. I mean how many home grown TOR arms have the Brewers had through the years?? Ben Sheets, Teddy Higuera, and the list stops there, at least in recent history. Remember, Jeff D'amico, how he was a "can't miss"?? Or Manny Para, Nick Nuegebauer, all these guys that plenty thought would be a TOR arm, how did that turn out??

What do those guys have to do with Stearns?

"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

Sure, DS will probably make a move or two(i'd argue he has to if for no other reason then to alleviate the 40 man crunch), but they will likely be smaller type moves, like Swarzak, Neil Walker type moves. That's disappointing.

Stearns will be right many more times than you. You may regret this temper tantrum.

"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

Just stop.

Most of your post seems to support holding on to Burnes. As you played out, it's not easy finding TOR arms. So probably not a bad idea to hold on to the ones who could be?

Bob Nightengale - "The Milwaukee #Brewers' offer was considered the second-strongest by #Orioles officials before opting for #Dodgers package for Manny Machado."

Curious to see what the Dodgers gave up. Maybe we could have beat it, maybe not. Could just be a matter of the Orioles liking the Dodgers prospects more than ours. Don't think we will ever know exactly what the offer was that Stearns made but I am sure he had his value and wasn't willing to go over. On to plan B.

Go Brewers.

This will go down as one of the best moves Stearns never made.

This team is not quite championship quality yet. A Machado rental doesn't close that gap. Come October, we would most likely be:

-Watching the Cubs play

-Wondering who will give Manny $200mm

-Wondering how the prospects we gave up could help us close the gap in 2019

The problem never was that Manny isn't a great player. It's that he was the diving board and we haven't built the pool yet.

Archived