Brewer Fanatic

Manny Machado (Part 2)

Brewers are 7-9 since Arcia went down to AAA on July 1. Maybe he is the spark plug and energy guy they missed. Team looked to be enjoying themselves more.

I always forget which factors in more in the WAR formula- spark plug or gritty veteran?

Uh, grit.....duh!

but it's not like every guy suddenly forgot every piece of advice he gave

• Replies 519
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Jon Heyman

Heyman: Sources: top OF prospect yusniel diaz is indeed in the Dodgers’ Machado offer currently on table

This tweet from earlier this morning... Why call Diaz the Dodgers' top OF prospect. Isn't it widely agreed that Verdugo is their top OF prospect?

Calling something what it isn't smacks of some Oriole smokescreen.

Wheres HH19 when you need em

I'll help out. Here you go:

- Brewers love Machado and have made a very good offer. The names tossed around include Phillips, Ortiz, Burnes, Lutz, Woodruff, Arcia, Bando, T. Williams, Houser, Peralta, Ray, Erceg, Dubon, Gatewood, Brown, Nottingham, Stokes, Carmona, Medeiros, Ponce and a few others. That's just a preliminary list - I'm guessing some other guys have been talked about. 50% chance we get something done.

- Brewers won't include top prospects such as Hiura - but you never know if that will change.

- Brewers don't want to increase their offer any more except for if they have to. It's coin flip that we increase the offer.

- Phillies have made a good proposal. Brewers might have to increase their offer to beat, but maybe not. It's toss up that we don't have to increase the offer.

- Yankees made an offer but not good enough - 50% chance that could change.

- Dodgers had a proposal but it was rejected. 50/50 they may come back and try again.

- Between 2 and 29 other teams have inquired on Machado.

- O's will wait until after the all-star break to announce trade. But that may change if they feel they can get more by waiting. Odds are about even that things get wrapped up this week.

- Orioles have been scouting Brewer players. 50% chance the Orioles scout Brewer players and eat peanuts at the same time.

- Mark A wants to go 'all in' but Stearns does not. If a deal is done, that means Mark A won the battle. If not, then Stearns did. Even money that Stearns wins this one, but you never know.

- Come back later tonight and I will scramble all these things up, re-word slightly, and add some random percentage points.

Of course, I'm leaving and never coming back if anyone questions me. Never means about 50%.

Any thinking man can see that you have inside sources, and I'd like to subscribe to your newsletter.

Well done, both of you. I see what you did there Peavey.

Jon Heyman
Heyman: Sources: top OF prospect yusniel diaz is indeed in the Dodgers’ Machado offer currently on table

This tweet from earlier this morning... Why call Diaz the Dodgers' top OF prospect. Isn't it widely agreed that Verdugo is their top OF prospect?

Calling something what it isn't smacks of some Oriole smokescreen.

I think it just means outfielder who happens to be a top prospect. It doesn't mean "their top outfield prospect."

Brewers are 7-9 since Arcia went down to AAA on July 1. Maybe he is the spark plug and energy guy they missed. Team looked to be enjoying themselves more.

No. This is just him being lackadaisical and not caring about his play.

"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor
Safe to say this is over, I think. LAD got him.

So much misinformation out there, who in the heck knows? Last night it was a done deal for the Phillies. A couple days ago it was the Yankees. The only thing safe to say is that it won't be done until the physicals are signed off on and MLB approves the deal.

He’s a Dodger. It made the most sense for quite some time. Why the Dodgers didn’t pull the trigger a lot earlier is beyond me.
"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

I just have a feeling that the Brewers have the best offer and did the entire time, but the Orioles kept releasing “updates” to try to get Stearns to up his offer.

I don't know why the Orioles would need to release updates? All they have to do is say "David, this is what the Dodgers are offering, can you beat that?" There's really no purpose for them to be so cryptic about it.

He’s a Dodger. It made the most sense for quite some time. Why the Dodgers didn’t pull the trigger a lot earlier is beyond me.

How do we know they didn't? They may have put a strong offer out there from the beginning. I mean, we can't take much from what has/ has not been reported.

How do we know they didn't? They may have put a strong offer out there from the beginning. I mean, we can't take much from what has/ has not been reported.

I suppose we don’t but if they did than what the heck have the Orioles been doing because the price should/would have been better a month ago.

I just have a feeling that the Brewers have the best offer and did the entire time, but the Orioles kept releasing “updates” to try to get Stearns to up his offer.

I don't know why the Orioles would need to release updates? All they have to do is say "David, this is what the Dodgers are offering, can you beat that?" There's really no purpose for them to be so cryptic about it.

I think being cryptic serves a purpose. If you don't know exactly what the others are offering, you're motivated to come with your best offer. It's a lot like buying a house where there are multiple offers. Except here, the Orioles could also leak things to the press that are exaggerated or untrue. I have no idea if they did that, but I can see where there could be a lot of gamesmanship.

You may be right, I guess I just picture the whole process to be more straightforward. One of many things it would be fascinating to see behind the curtain of a GM's office. Just from the bits and pieces I've read over the years, it sounds more like "these are the guys I want." Other team counters, and so on. But again, you may be right, and I guess it's likely some front offices play games more than others.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor
The song Head Games by Foreigner was based in part on the behind the scenes machinations of the 1978 Rawly Eastwick trade.
"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

Community Moderator
The song Head Games by Foreigner was based in part on the behind the scenes machinations of the 1978 Rawly Eastwick trade.

I love this.

And also, of course now the Orioles decide they’re into International prospects.

Not just “at Night” anymore.

There's this from last night:

MLB.com's Jon Morosi reports that the Phillies are currently the "most likely destination" for Manny Machado.

Morosi says the Phillies are willing to include pitching prospect Adonis Medina -- who is ranked by MLB.com as the No. 2 player in their system -- in a deal for Machado, which looks to have catapulted them into the lead for the infielder's services. Jon Heyman of Fancred, among others, has reported that the Orioles are close to trading their star, although Machado will be representing Baltimore during Tuesday's All-Star Game. The Dodgers and Brewers are looking like the two other clubs most hot on Machado's trail, although it appears they might have some catching up to do.

Source: Jon Morosi on Twitter

Jul 16 - 11:15 PM

Then there is this from this morning:

Jon Heyman of FanCred reports that the Dodgers "appear to be the leading contender" in trade talks for Orioles shortstop Manny Machado.

This comes hours after Jon Morosi of MLB.com wrote that the Phillies were currently the "most likely destination" for Machado after the club expressed a willingness to include pitching prospect Adonis Medina in a potential deal. With that in mind, Heyman writes that the situation is "fluid" and that the Phillies, Brewers, and Diamondbacks could still have an outside chance. Prospects Dustin May and Gavin Lux are among the names linked in trade talks between the Dodgers and Orioles. If acquired by Los Angeles, Machado would take over at shortstop while Chris Taylor would move back to the outfield. Machado is set to represent the Orioles in Tuesday's All-Star Game, but it sounds like he could be in a different uniform later this week.

Source: Jon Heyman on Twitter

Jul 17 - 8:49 AM

And this, also from this morning:

Buster Olney of ESPN reports that the Orioles have the structure of a Manny Machado trade in place and are going through the "medicals/paperwork portion of the transaction."

Olney adds that the Dodgers "have been very invested" in pursuing Machado, in addition to the Phillies and other teams, but that a deal is not finished yet. Either way, multiple reports indicate that Machado will begin the second half with a new team. It’s very possible that a deal is essentially done and the Orioles would prefer to have him play Tuesday’s All-Star Game representing the team before an official announcement is made. In other words, there should be clarity very soon.

Source: Buster Olney on Twitter

Jul 17 - 11:04 AM

I don't think anyone knows for sure what the hell is going on until it's an actual done deal. I think we are out of it at this point though...

"I'm sick of runnin' from these wimps!" Ajax - The WARRIORS

You may be right, I guess I just picture the whole process to be more straightforward. One of many things it would be fascinating to see behind the curtain of a GM's office. Just from the bits and pieces I've read over the years, it sounds more like "these are the guys I want." Other team counters, and so on. But again, you may be right, and I guess it's likely some front offices play games more than others.

My feeling as well. I think the whole front office purposely leaked valid/exaggerated/false information to the media to create a sense of urgency by the other teams just seams like something dreamed up on fan boards. There's only 30 MLB GMs and I have to believe that for the most part they know each other somewhat well or at least have an open direct line of communication if they want. Not saying there's not some gamesmanship that goes on but the extent that it gets brought up and discussed seems a bit much to me. But really, I have no idea. Maybe somebody who's worked closely to a MLB front office can chime in.

I don't think anyone knows for sure what the hell is going on until it's an actual done deal. I think we are out of it at this point though...

I think the only known thing at this point is that Machado will be traded tomorrow. Seems like the Dodgers are in the lead, but Philly seems to be pretty motivated to get him (may be their only chance of signing him in the future). I have doubts that Stearns will be offering the top package, but like you said; who knows.

I think the only known thing at this point is that Machado will be traded tomorrow. Seems like the Dodgers are in the lead, but Philly seems to be pretty motivated to get him (may be their only chance of signing him in the future). I have doubts that Stearns will be offering the top package, but like you said; who knows.

I personally hope the Brewers are out. I like MM, but not at the prices reported.

It's like none of you have ever seen Moneyball or Draft Day. That is how trades happen.

I love this.

And also, of course now the Orioles decide they’re into International prospects.

And "Urgent" is about this one time Larry Sorenson had to pee really bad.

Archived