Brewer Fanatic

Manny Machado (Part 2)

Dodgers can offer more because it would put them in the driver's seat to sign him long term after this season, pretty simple.

Dodgers can offer more because they have more and can afford to buy whatever they don't have more of.

Actually on the surface they are not going to be able to take on all Manny's contract without dumping salary elsewhere because they want to stay under the luxury tax. Will be interested to see how they work this in.

• Replies 519
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Dodgers can offer more because it would put them in the driver's seat to sign him long term after this season, pretty simple.

Dodgers can offer more because they have more and can afford to buy whatever they don't have more of.

Actually on the surface they are not going to be able to take on all Manny's contract without dumping salary elsewhere because they want to stay under the luxury tax. Will be interested to see how they work this in.

Sounds like Forsythe going back to make the money work. That is in addition to May and Diaz plus two more in their top 30. that is a petty decent haul if true and certainly more than a lot of folks thought.

but it's not like every guy suddenly forgot every piece of advice he gave

Yeah but I'm not convinced Dozier comes all that much cheaper.

Dozier will likely cost a fraction of what it costs to trade for MM.

Cool. I don't think I buy that narrative. Still a lot of teams looking for infield help and he isn't that much of step down offensively from Machado. Supply and demand.

Castro, Gennett, Cabrera to name a couple. Many teams with that need have flexibility to shift guys around the infield to accomodate a player.

Dozier isn't playing well and is 2b only. MM can play SS or 3B. Dozier isn't even close to MM.

The last thing this reeling team needs is to head into the post All Star break part of the schedule having to face a Dodger team not only without Machado in the Brewer lineup but with him in a Dodger uniform. If the Phillies got him, no problem, but Brewers play the Dodgers 7 out of their next 14 games. Losing him to the Dodgers might end their season unless DS comes up with something big as a alternative.

DS apparently lacks stones just as he did last year.

Dozier isn't playing well and is 2b only. MM can play SS or 3B. Dozier isn't even close to MM.

[sarcasm]Plus, Dozier plays in one of the central divisions, so none of the writers or Yankees or dodgers or Phillies have ever heard of him.[/sarcasm]

Castro, Gennett, Cabrera to name a couple. Many teams with that need have flexibility to shift guys around the infield to accomodate a player.

Dozier is better than all of them and I believe he has been hitting like his old self of late. I think Manny goes for more than you were predicting and I think Dozier does too.

The last thing this reeling team needs is to head into the post All Star break part of the schedule having to face a Dodger team not only without Machado in the Brewer lineup but with him in a Dodger uniform. If the Phillies got him, no problem, but Brewers play the Dodgers 7 out of their next 14 games. Losing him to the Dodgers might end their season unless DS comes up with something big as a alternative.

DS apparently lacks stones just as he did last year.

This whole thing....just.... :laughing

So the Brewer equivalent looks like Lutz, Diplan, Carmona and Supak. Maybe I'm a little heavy there but that looks close. I don't know who the MLB player would have to be to offset the salary but maybe Thames?

Dozier is better than all of them and I believe he has been hitting like his old self of late. I think Manny goes for more than you were predicting and I think Dozier does too.

Manny is an elite talent, there was no good precedent for what he'd get. Dozier is different, he's marginally better than the guys I mentioned at best. I would actually argue Gennett right now is better than Dozier.

Manny is an elite talent, there was no good precedent for what he'd get. Dozier is different, he's marginally better than the guys I mentioned at best. I would actually argue Gennett right now is better than Dozier.

Whether there was a precedent or not you were pretty clear and firm on both this board and the Oriole board about what you thought Manny would bring. If current reports are even close, you underestimated. I suspect you are underestimating the market for Dozier as well. Time will tell in the end.

Outside of Altuve and maybe Baez, Gennett might be the premier 2B in the game right now. (with a nod to Albies as well)

:(

"I'm sick of runnin' from these wimps!" Ajax - The WARRIORS

Brewer Fanatic Contributor
Heyman just tweeted that Dodgers offer does in fact include Yusniel Diaz. Not sure the Brewers would be able to top that without giving up Hiura or Burnes.

He's #4 in a Dodgers' system similarly ranked to the Brewers. Probably a comparable prospect to Phillips and Ray. Would either of those guys be off limits in a Machado deal?

We need to put some of these prospects in perspective. The grass is not always greener in someone else's system. Diaz is not even close to Hiura's value as a prospect in my opinion.

Diaz is a currently #84 on the MLB Pipeline. He was pre-season #73 with Baseball Prospectus, #87 Fangraphs. Don't know BA. He's having a good season at AA - hitting .314 with more walks than strikeouts. Phillips and Ray aren't Top 100 guys at this time, so they don't really compare. Now if you combine them -- that's getting interesting. That's why I felt a Ortiz/Phillips package was viable.

That the Dodgers are supposedly willing to give more prospect capital to the Orioles in exchange for salary is a factor as well. The Brewers have the ability to take on salary - the Dodgers don't necessarily have that luxury. It hurts us that the O's are willing to take back money for a better package.

Oh well, we shall see. Still nothing decided.

Of course the Cubs have already finished their season series against the Dodgers and we haven't even started and play them 7 times yet. Because, of course.

You can be sure that Stearns is very aware of this as well.

Outside of Altuve and maybe Baez, Gennett might be the premier 2B in the game right now. (with a nod to Albies as well)

:(

I refuse to accept that as factual......ever!

New Tweet:

There's between a 1-99% chance that the deal is close, or maybe close. Teams have offered players. Maybe they haven't though. The deal will be complete by Friday's games. Unless it's not, then it won't. This situation is fluid and can change in the next 48 seconds based on the next know it all putting up information that he's guessing on. Stay tuned. The front runner is currently a team in major league baseball. Maybe not though. Might be a darkhorse team.

Got this from a guy who is a dude who knows this one guy.

This is my new favorite post in the Machado discussion. Well done.

Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

Brewers are 7-9 since Arcia went down to AAA on July 1. Maybe he is the spark plug and energy guy they missed. Team looked to be enjoying themselves more.

I always forget which factors in more in the WAR formula- spark plug or gritty veteran?

Archived