Brewer Fanatic

Manny Machado (Part 2)

• Replies 519
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Brewer Fanatic Contributor

The Orioles have a lot of these national guys on the payroll!

This is much ado about nothing. Appears that it just took Nightengale's latest tweet saying Brewers and Phillies were still involved, and eliminated them. Idiocy with a chaser of large market bias.

The Baltimore Orioles, barring a last minute snag, will trade All-Star shortstop Manny Machado to the Los Angeles Dodgers on Wednesday, according to a baseball official with direct knowledge of the deal.

The official spoke to USA TODAY Sports on the condition of anonymity because the trade has not been finalized.

The Milwaukee Brewers and Philadelphia Phillies are still in discussions with the Orioles.

Still anybody's game.

exactly. breaking news!! NOTHING NEW!

Heyman just tweeted that Dodgers offer does in fact include Yusniel Diaz. Not sure the Brewers would be able to top that without giving up Hiura or Burnes.

He's #4 in a Dodgers' system similarly ranked to the Brewers. Probably a comparable prospect to Phillips and Ray. Would either of those guys be off limits in a Machado deal?

We need to put some of these prospects in perspective. The grass is not always greener in someone else's system. Diaz is not even close to Hiura's value as a prospect in my opinion.

I'm not familiar enough on the scouting level other than the ratings on Fangraphs (Hiura has a better future value, but I think the report was done before the season started), that said, Diaz has caught Hiura in AA batting production at basically the same age. He also plays a more important position and is apparently a good defensive player.

So it's possible that he could be close to Hiura's value.

The Baltimore Orioles, barring a last minute snag, will trade All-Star shortstop Manny Machado to the Los Angeles Dodgers on Wednesday, according to a baseball official with direct knowledge of the deal.

The official spoke to USA TODAY Sports on the condition of anonymity because the trade has not been finalized.

The Milwaukee Brewers and Philadelphia Phillies are still in discussions with the Orioles.

Still anybody's game.

There is no way the Orioles would say something like this. Why would they say they plan to trade him tomorrow but other teams are still in play? It's smoke and mirrors trying to get teams to up their offer. Let's just get this over with its getting ridiculous.

Heyman just tweeted that Dodgers offer does in fact include Yusniel Diaz. Not sure the Brewers would be able to top that without giving up Hiura or Burnes.

He's #4 in a Dodgers' system similarly ranked to the Brewers. Probably a comparable prospect to Phillips and Ray. Would either of those guys be off limits in a Machado deal?

We need to put some of these prospects in perspective. The grass is not always greener in someone else's system. Diaz is not even close to Hiura's value as a prospect in my opinion.

I'm not familiar enough on the scouting level other than the ratings on Fangraphs (Hiura has a better future value, but I think the report was done before the season started), that said, Diaz has caught Hiura in AA batting production at basically the same age. He also plays a more important position and is apparently a good defensive player.

So it's possible that he could be close to Hiura's value.

Not to mention his two HRs in the Futures game against the minor leagues best pitching prospects.

Would you consider yourself hyper-competitive if you are ticked your team didn't make a trade that you are not even sure you wanted them to make? Asking for a friend.
but it's not like every guy suddenly forgot every piece of advice he gave

Would you consider yourself hyper-competitive if you are ticked your team didn't make a trade that you are not even sure you wanted them to make? Asking for a friend.

I'm the same way. Although, I am conductor of the Saladino hype train. I would much rather take a Dozier rental at 2B for much cheaper than a Machado.

I'm the same way. Although, I am conductor of the Saladino hype train. I would much rather take a Dozier rental at 2B for much cheaper than a Machado.

Yeah but I'm not convinced Dozier comes all that much cheaper.

Dozier will likely cost a fraction of what it costs to trade for MM.

I think we've both contributed to the hype on here. Can we be co-conductors?

Cool. I don't think I buy that narrative. Still a lot of teams looking for infield help and he isn't that much of step down offensively from Machado. Supply and demand.

Nightengale and Heyman just don’t strike me as being the places where one finds valid and plausible trade information. They seem to be each other’s echo chamber.

When Olney and Rosenthal report it, then I’ll perk up my ears.

C'mon DS, just do whatever to get it done..

huh?

This seems like a dangerous statement...

Yeah, no. How about DS show the discipline he has always shown and do the exact opposite of that.

Nightengale and Heyman just don’t strike me as being the places where one finds valid and plausible trade information. They seem to be each other’s echo chamber.

When Olney and Rosenthal report it, then I’ll perk up my ears.

I think Olney is there. But yeah, Nightingale was promoting the Phillies as a done deal just yesterday.

I envision this ending a lot like the Darvish fiasco last off season.

Lots of hype, lots of wishful thinking, and in the end, the prize goes to the big market team, and we were only used to drive up the price.

This is why it is much more important for us to develop our own guys, so we don't have to enter these losing battles with the free spending, big market clubs. Trading "our own guys" such as Burnes or Peralta just doesn't make any sense. Control these guys for 5 or 6 years, or Manny for 2.5 months? It's a no brainer.

I flip flop back and forth on the Machado deal, however, I remain stubborn on one detail. I do not, under any circumstance want to trade Hiura, Burnes, or Peralta for a rental. I'd rather stand pat and try to hit up a lesser acquisition if that is what it takes to get Manny.

"I'm sick of runnin' from these wimps!" Ajax - The WARRIORS

Dodgers can offer more because it would put them in the driver's seat to sign him long term after this season, pretty simple.

Dodgers can offer more because they have more and can afford to buy whatever they don't have more of.

I envision this ending a lot like the Darvish fiasco last off season.

Lots of hype, lots of wishful thinking, and in the end, the prize goes to the big market team.

This is why it is much more important for us to develop our own guys, so we don't have to enter these losing battles with the free spending, big market clubs. Trading "our own guys" such as Burnes or Peralta just doesn't make any sense. Control these guys for 5 or 6 years, or Manny for 2.5 months? It's a no brainer.

I flip flop back and forth on the Machado deal, however, I remain stubborn on one detail. I do not, under any circumstance want to trade Hiura, Burnes, or Peralta for a rental. I'd rather stand pat and try to hit up a lesser acquisition if that is what it takes to get Manny.

100% agree and as we step down the talent ladder to the next option(s) that list of players I wouldn't touch gets bigger.

Sadly, I think the ship has sailed. I do think that there was a time that we were leading and that we even could have had a close agreement. But I'm sure Stearns was not going to give up Corbin or Freddy and that's what made the deal turn against us. Wasn't the first K-Rod deal announced just after the all-star game?

99/100 is a fraction. 3/2 is also a fraction. What's your fraction in this case? 1/2? 2/3?

Archived