Brewer Fanatic

If they miss out on Machado

Take whatever the Machado package was and offer it for Chris Archer, who is better than Machado anyways and not a rental.

The love affair everyone has with Archer boggles my mind.

Really? You don't understand how a durable cost-controlled starting pitcher with great stuff may be of interest? Even if some of his peripherals are trending in the wrong direction?

Is Archer a vast upgrade over what we currently have? I'd say he's got higher upside and could be a bit better than some of the guys in our rotation, but why not just grab some cheap relievers and play the bullpen game the rest of the year? We don't really need "cost-controlled" pitching (he won't be that cheap anymore) anymore with the depth we have.

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Brewer Fanatic Contributor

Is Archer a vast upgrade over what we currently have? I'd say he's got higher upside and could be a bit better than some of the guys in our rotation, but why not just grab some cheap relievers and play the bullpen game the rest of the year? We don't really need "cost-controlled" pitching (he won't be that cheap anymore) anymore with the depth we have.

I just don't think continuing to play the "bullpen game" is sustainable. We saw it last week. The pen was gassed, and we were left shorthanded there due to a bunch of short starts in a row. Now perhaps if some of our starters come back, we can perhaps shift Peralta and Suter to bullpen roles. I just think having a starter that can provide a consistent 6+ innings nearly every time out would be a huge help.

I just don't think continuing to play the "bullpen game" is sustainable. We saw it last week. The pen was gassed, and we were left shorthanded there due to a bunch of short starts in a row. Now perhaps if some of our starters come back, we can perhaps shift Peralta and Suter to bullpen roles. I just think having a starter that can provide a consistent 6+ innings nearly every time out would be a huge help.

The pen can get gassed here and there, but we're almost to September where it won't be an issue. It also shouldn't be in the playoffs.

You do need some longer starts from starters, but the Brewers were fine until last week. You can have Chacin go 7 innings when you're winning 8-2 in the 6th. In general, they found ways to string the bullpen along. 15 games in 14 days or whatever it was can tax any team.

Welcome to baseball in 2018. This is a smart strategy. If the Brewers had Kluber or deGrom they'd be a bit better than they are, but they're making the best of what they have and I don't think Archer is an upgrade. Give me 5 innings of Chacin and 2 innings of Burnes and that's just as good as Archer.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor

The pen can get gassed here and there, but we're almost to September where it won't be an issue. It also shouldn't be in the playoffs.

You do need some longer starts from starters, but the Brewers were fine until last week. You can have Chacin go 7 innings when you're winning 8-2 in the 6th. In general, they found ways to string the bullpen along. 15 games in 14 days or whatever it was can tax any team.

Welcome to baseball in 2018. This is a smart strategy. If the Brewers had Kluber or deGrom they'd be a bit better than they are, but they're making the best of what they have and I don't think Archer is an upgrade. Give me 5 innings of Chacin and 2 innings of Burnes and that's just as good as Archer.

I'd much rather have Burnes pitch the 8th after a 7-inning Archer start, because Hader is unavailable due to going 3 innings in Guerra's short start two days earlier.

I'd much rather have Burnes pitch the 8th after a 7-inning Archer start, because Hader is unavailable due to going 3 innings in Guerra's short start two days earlier.

Burnes? You mean the guy that dons a Rays jersey because he was dealt for Archer?

Archived