Brewer Fanatic

If they miss out on Machado

Call up Arcia and Santana and let’s swing our way outta this mess. They’re both doing well in AAA.

I know this comes up time and time again - and for the record, I'm one that thinks that Santana and Arcia are good enough hitters no matter what and I'd be fine with it...but...Colorado Springs/PCL.

Oh I completely get it but they were sent down to figure it out. Good stats are at least an indicator something positive happening.

"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Call up Arcia and Santana and let’s swing our way outta this mess. They’re both doing well in AAA.

I know this comes up time and time again - and for the record, I'm one that thinks that Santana and Arcia are good enough hitters no matter what and I'd be fine with it...but...Colorado Springs/PCL.

Oh I completely get it but they were sent down to figure it out. Good stats are at least an indicator something positive happening.

Unfortunately it's impossible to know for the most part. But yeah, putting the bat on the ball and probably hitting it hard is at the very least is not a negative thing.

I may look insane in a few weeks or months, but I'm planting my flag that Saladino is our Whit Merrifield. Guys that don't seem like they'd ever profile to the batting line that they're putting up that figure it out in their late 20s due to hard contact rate.

I'd rather just roll with a rental and go to Hiura next year than give up a bunch for Merrifield. I'd also be fine with a Miller/Villar platoon at 2B.

I may look insane in a few weeks or months, but I'm planting my flag that Saladino is our Whit Merrifield.

I'd rather just roll with a rental and go to Hiura soon than give up a bunch for Merrifield, also. I'd also be fine with a Miller/Villar platoon at 2B.

I like Saladino, and think he will produce better than the SS position has brought without him there, but you think that's enough to move the needle to make a difference this year?

I would LOVE Hiura to have a shot at 2b and miller and villar as your backup/utility/ph's. But, even he has now struggled at AA some.

The only catcher that moves the needle for me is Realmuto and i dont know that he's available yet for what we would be able to/want to give up.

Almost feels like now that Machado is gone, there just isn't as much out there... that will make a difference.

Though Ray, Mederios, Brown for Whit , I think I would do...

I may look insane in a few weeks or months, but I'm planting my flag that Saladino is our Whit Merrifield.

I'd rather just roll with a rental and go to Hiura soon than give up a bunch for Merrifield, also. I'd also be fine with a Miller/Villar platoon at 2B.

I like Saladino, and think he will produce better than the SS position has brought without him there, but you think that's enough to move the needle to make a difference this year?

I would LOVE Hiura to have a shot at 2b and miller and villar as your backup/utility/ph's. But, even he has now struggled at AA some.

The only catcher that moves the needle for me is Realmuto and i dont know that he's available yet for what we would be able to/want to give up.

Almost feels like now that Machado is gone, there just isn't as much out there... that will make a difference.

I probably am going to talk myself out of any trade this year because I don't think any are going to move the needle enough...and the handful that do probably cost too much. So that is my frame of reference. I don't mind Merrifield and he's probably an upgrade, but I'm not sure I value the extra control enough to pay a bigger price.

Hard pass on that. We just aren't close enough to a World Series to make that type of move in my opinion. I think we need to give the rebuild process a bit more time.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor

Hard pass on that. We just aren't close enough to a World Series to make that type of move in my opinion. I think we need to give the rebuild process a bit more time.

LOL, I think Merrifield is controlled through 2022, so he would actually fit the "window" perfectly. He's the type of high contact table setter that this lineup could use right now. If he is acquired, it would free up Hiura to be used in a trade for a high end pitcher or catcher. At least I think that is the thought.

I would advocate for something of a "sellers light" approach at this point.

Yes. Sell off second and third tier prospects to better our team now and for the future.

"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

Yes. Sell off second and third tier prospects to better our team now and for the future.

I agree, but if you can get a can of worms for a Villar or a Broxton, do that too.

but it's not like every guy suddenly forgot every piece of advice he gave

If Merrifield is here as an extended answer at second base, somebody has to change positions, or Huira's best value shifts to the trade market.

I suppose the Brewers could see Merrifield as an outfielder after Huira comes up, but my guess would be a second big trade if the Brewers bring Merrifield in.

Huira as the headliner to get deGrom or Syndergaard .... fine with me. (DH for the NL anyone?)

I wouldn't worry about whether Merrifield blocks Huira. First that is not a problem until May/June of '19 at the earliest. Second, if needed either could be traded for a good return. Merrifield would still have 3 years of control in the winter of '19-'20.

I would make the Royals a one stop shop for our position player needs and get Perez too.

Merrifield & Perez for Ortiz, Ray, Mederios, Ponce, Notingham & Feliciano (if needed throw in Bickford/Kirby too). As the article states use the fact that the Royals timeframe is a few years away and the fact that the Brewers have an abundance of good not great prospects to get this done.

If Merrifield is here as an extended answer at second base, somebody has to change positions, or Huira's best value shifts to the trade market.

I suppose the Brewers could see Merrifield as an outfielder after Huira comes up, but my guess would be a second big trade if the Brewers bring Merrifield in.

Huira as the headliner to get deGrom or Syndergaard .... fine with me. (DH for the NL anyone?)

The bolded part was included in my thought back a few pages when floating the Merrifield option. Merrifield's offensive skills, defensive versatility, and contract control are why he should be at least a target to consider.

Merrifield would be the starting 2B for the rest of 2018. And if Hiura isn't quite ready for the bigs at any time in 2019, Merrifield gives you a starting 2B for that period.

Looking also at the next several seasons, only Cain and Yelich are locked-in outfield starters. Who's the third outfielder in 2019/2020/2021? There's Braun, when he's not on the DL or taking the needed days off. You've got the AAA options in Santana--who's down there trying to get his swing back--or Phillips--if you think he's ready for prime time. Maybe Ray gets things going enough for 2020/2021, assuming he's not traded. There are holes with all of these. Merrifield would help fill that gap.

I agree, but if you can get a can of worms for a Villar or a Broxton, do that too.

Yeah, if they’re not going to use Villar then trade him. If they go after Merrifield, he should be in the deal. Probably the same with Broxton. Give those guys an opportunity to play especially with very little to no pressure.

I can somewhat talk myself into Merrifield. The issue is that he is a little bit on the older side. This run of being a solid/good player could end quickly. His game is very dependent on hitting the ball very hard and stealing bases. Those skills could diminish in the next year or two.

You could still work Hiura in at some point in 2019 or 2020, probably. Merrifield may turn into the super-sub and hopefully we have the DH by then to offload Braun a bit.

The rebuild is over my friend. Our core is secured for the next 4 years or so and there is no guaranteed success next year. If you can make the playoffs, you can win the World Series. Simple as that.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor
Take whatever the Machado package was and offer it for Chris Archer, who is better than Machado anyways and not a rental.

The love affair everyone has with Archer boggles my mind.

Really? You don't understand how a durable cost-controlled starting pitcher with great stuff may be of interest? Even if some of his peripherals are trending in the wrong direction?

Archived