Brewer Fanatic

If they miss out on Machado

This may be covered somewhere and if it has to be merged with the Machado topic, so be it. Seemed like it deserved its own thread though.

IF they miss out on Machado, what is a realistic play? It doesn't seem like you get this involved for someone of that caliber only to stand pat if you don't get him. Does the focus switch to pitching? Is it someone like Dozier or Escobar? Is there a name nobody is talking about that's a possibility. I am genuinely curious.

Also, working the night shift at work tonight and I have postseason/final week highlights from 2008 and 2011 going on my phone non-stop...

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If the Brewers indeed view middle infield as a big need, missing out on Machado shouldn't change anything, you simply move on to your next target. Who that is depends on a few things.

One is how you balance this year vs the future, and that also depends on how the team views Arcia, Hiura, Dubon. And to a lesser extent someone like Hager or Moore. If you believe in those guys, and that they'll be solid contributors next year already, then acquring a rental makes the most sense. Escobar seems like an excellent candidate in that sense, as he can both play SS (Even if he isn't great there), 3B and even some 2B. If 2B only is good enough, then Dozier is an option.

A more long-term move could be on the cards even if you do like someone like Hiura a lot, assuming it's a versatile player. And I think the Brewers might be looking at this, with the reported interest in Derek Dietrich and Whit Merrifield. I personally believe Merrifield would be an excellent acquisition. He's probably not quite the 124 OPS+ player he's been this year, but he doesn't need to be. The batted ball profile and plate discipline suggest that he can maintain a level not far below that. He'll have 4 years of team control remaining after this year, and most crucially he can also play 3rd, LF and RF (And has even played CF).

So he'd play most days at 2B, but would also eliminate the need to ever start Perez in RF. If Hiura is up next year it'd be a bit more of a crunch, but that's assuming no other moves are made. If Aguilar is for real then someone like Merrifield makes more sense on the roster than Thames. As would he make more sense than Aguilar if he hadn't had this big breakout.

So yeah, it wouldn't surprise me if priority #1 right now is Machado. #2 is Merrifield/Dietrich if the price is right. If not then #3 is a rental liek Dozier or Escobar. Who you target would depend on whether it has to be a SS or if 2B only players are enough at this point. That last part could also be affected by an upgrade at C: If you get a good bat there, then that makes it more palatable to have less than stellar offense at SS but instead good defense there (Whether that's Saladino or Arcia).

If they miss out on Machado, I would focus on whatever upgrade gives us the most bang for the buck and that to me is clearly Realmuto. Going from Pina to him is a much bigger boost than Villar to Dozier or Miller/Saladino to Escobar. He's also not just a rental. I know it would cost a ton to get him, but we have Cain, Yelich, Shaw, Aguilar, etc for another few years at their prime, may as well go for it now and try to get a front line starter via free agency in the offseason.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor

If the Crew doesn't get Machado, I think you'll see some more minor moves made. I doubt we go nuts. Instead, it'll be small, measured trades to shore up weak areas.

As people have noted, we have a number of guys in the minors that could get lost in the off season. Best flip some of those assets now.

SS - Jose Iglesias from Detroit would work. .260ish hitter, minimal power, excellent fielder. Free agent at the end of the year. Won't cost much. While he doesn't move the dial as a hitter, he provides exceptional defense and a consistent bat. The team would appreciate the day-to-day professionalism and consistency of the guy.

2B - Asdrubal Cabrera from the Mets would fit nicely here. Good bat, adequate in the field, switch hitter. Hitting .281, 17 HR. Free agent at the end of the year, so won't cost too much. Very consistent player who would really solidify a position that's been a revolving door.

Brian Dozier is another guy who has been mentioned - but his 2018 has been a bit of a struggle. The power is still there - 16 HR - but the .230 BA is weak - although his low BAIP is a low .251 - meaning he's probably been suffering from some bad luck. The guy is a solid defender, and even if he comes in and hits .250-.260 with power, it's a big plus. Also a free agent at the end of the season, so he won't cost that much.

C - Tough area to upgrade without over paying huge for someone like Realmuto. Look for a smaller upgrade to replace Kratz. Tucker Barnhart from Cincy and AJ Ellis with SD are two guys that come to mind. Veterans who are having solid seasons. Both good defenders. Both free agents at the end of the year (I think). While their bats are middling, they represent an upgrade to Kratz.

Starting Pitching - Toughest area as pitching always costs the most. Unless there's a major injury, I'm guessing the team rides out Chacin, Anderson, Peralta, Guerra and Suter/Miley - and hope Davies and perhaps Nelson can provide some help later. Not real sexy.

Relief Pitching - Wouldn't be surprised if we added another arm like last year when we got Swarzak. The Crew goes through relievers at a high rate, but a Hader, Knebel, Barnes, Jeffress, T. Williams, Jennings, and Albers isn't a bad core. Corbin Burnes could be a nice addition as well. However, another solid veteran would be welcome for depth. As an example, Joakim Soria is having a good year with the White Sox. Again, target guys that won't cost that much - usually guys who are FAs at the end of the season.

In the end, whether we get Machado or not, I wouldn't be surprised if the club makes a bunch of moves. The middle IF has been wildly inconsistent this year, as has catcher. They'll make modest upgrades at each, then catcher, and maybe an arm or two. But I doubt we make any huge splashes (outside of Machado). It will be smaller upgrades that don't tax the farm system - upgrades that will, hopefully, have some positive, rippling effects throughout the club.

Merrifield and Realmuto will cost a lot more than Machado.

I don't think Merrifield will cost significantly more than Machado if at all. He'd be a significant upgrade and have control to boot. If they get Machado, then Saladino/Miller rotate at 2B. If they get Merrifield, then Saladino/Miller rotate at SS. Either way they add a significant bat.

So my plan B is Merrifield with Dozier (who's getting hot recently) a close 2nd.

So he'd play most days at 2B, but would also eliminate the need to ever start Perez in RF.

I can't ever see that happening while Perez is still on the 25 man roster and Counsell is managing. Brewers have Cain, Yelich, Broxton, Santana, Phillips all healthy and on the 40 man roster and Perez is still getting outfield starts. Perez was getting outfield starts back when Braun was healthy. I think just about everybody thought that with the big outfield logjam that Perez (and Thames) wouldn't be seeing any time in the outfield this year, and yet Perez has started in the outfield a bunch of times. We just have to accept the following as Brewer fans: Craig Counsell just doesn't see Perez's career .255/.283/.388/.671 bat as being any type of significant negative. As long as Perez is on the 25 man roster, and Craig Counsell is managing the ballclub, Perez is probably going to get ~80 starts a year and a bunch of those are going to come at a corner outfield spot.

So he'd play most days at 2B, but would also eliminate the need to ever start Perez in RF.

I can't ever see that happening while Perez is still on the 25 man roster and Counsell is managing. Brewers have Cain, Yelich, Broxton, Santana, Phillips all healthy and on the 40 man roster and Perez is still getting outfield starts. Perez was getting outfield starts back when Braun was healthy. I think just about everybody thought that with the big outfield logjam that Perez (and Thames) wouldn't be seeing any time in the outfield this year, and yet Perez has started in the outfield a bunch of times. We just have to accept the following as Brewer fans: Craig Counsell just doesn't see Perez's career .255/.283/.388/.671 bat as being any type of significant negative. As long as Perez is on the 25 man roster, and Craig Counsell is managing the ballclub, Perez is probably going to get ~80 starts a year and a bunch of those are going to come at a corner outfield spot.

It is gross and infuriating. I’m annoyed by his crappy backup IF fetish

Not sure that's fair. Whenever Braun was healthy he was in the OF, not Perez. Before they gave up on Santana, he was in RF. Even Thames played OF over Perez until he hit the DL. There wasn't much choice lately, that's why Perez was out there.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor
If the Brewers plan to only make modest moves this trade deadline just like last year, I feel the Brewers will miss the playoffs yet again.

Agree. They'll get run over without at least one significant move.

I disagree. I think we have deficiencies at several spots that - if addressed as a whole - can have a significant effect on the team. As noted in the Stars and Scrubs post - viewtopic.php?f=63&t=37151 - we have players on the extremes and few in the middle. By addressing the entire package - as opposed to doing one big move - you can - hopefully - get the same effect (a better team).

I'm not opposed to a big move - I just don't think it will happen if we have to move significant assets. Machado will cost a lot - but probably not our best prospects. I think JA Happ is in the same boat as he's a free agent after the season. It just limits his value. But he'd be a nice add on - but still not cheap.

I think we'll make some moves - but I just don't know if they will be 'big' moves. I'm hoping we can land Machado (and others).

I would be willing to bet my life savings we are not catching the Cubs this year, regardless of the moves we make. I wouldn't make any major moves and let some of our prospects mature and get a year older. If the club manages to make the the playoffs with what we have, then great. We aren't getting to the world series this year, so why get rid of our prospects knowing this?

Dozier is a notorious, “second half player” - he has hit .321, with 3 homers in the last week. Yep, we want him.

Asdrubal Cabrera started the season hot, slumped through some nagging injuries, and has done just fine of late. He’s at .313 with 6 homers in the last month, is not getting much traction because of the sexier names, and is a rental - he’ll be the cheapest to acquire. If the Brewers get Machado, I want Cabrera too.

Merrifield and Realmuto will cost a lot more than Machado.

I don't think Merrifield will cost significantly more than Machado if at all. He'd be a significant upgrade and have control to boot. If they get Machado, then Saladino/Miller rotate at 2B. If they get Merrifield, then Saladino/Miller rotate at SS. Either way they add a significant bat.

So my plan B is Merrifield with Dozier (who's getting hot recently) a close 2nd.

Merrifield is 4+ WAR player with versatility and 4 years of control. That's a Yelich level deal.

Middle infield has been so utterly crappy this year, if they miss on Machado, just about anyone they acquire (other than the Saladino, Miller types) should be a significant upgrade.

Scooter and Segura might be available blue

I like the idea of Iglesias as a cheap steady option; good glove, not a lot of bat, but predictable at least assuming he's healthy. I tend to agree with Reilly that Stearns is not going to part with our best prospects for a rental, but I am ready to be surprised.

If the Brewers plan to only make modest moves this trade deadline just like last year, I feel the Brewers will miss the playoffs yet again.

Agree. They'll get run over without at least one significant move.

I'm good with that. Stay the course and don't overreact to anything. Significant moves put you over the top, they don't catch you up.

but it's not like every guy suddenly forgot every piece of advice he gave

I'd see what Kansas City wants for Whit Merrifield. In fact, I'd even be inclined to go that route instead of Machado. Burning through some prospects to clear out slots on next year's 40-man roster makes sense for a rental player. Doing so to pick up a player with multiple years of control is even better.

Merrifield could become the starting 2B for the rest of 2018. He'd also be a fine addition to the top of the lineup or a run producer lower in the order. Adding his average and ability to get extra base hits would be fine to put at #5 or #6 in the lineup.

I'm even more interested in the ability of having Merrifield on the roster for multiple seasons. He could supply the bridge to Hiura at 2B. Or he could essentially become the "replacement" for Braun in LF. With Santana looking lost as a batter this year and an unsure bet that Phillips will develop into a starter, Merrifield could end up patrolling the OF for a few years. I don't see any of the AAA/AA prospects knocking down the door to be called up in 2019, maybe even 2020.

Would the cost be high? Likely. But it's better to use some of the prospects we have as currency instead of losing them to the Rule 5 draft.

This may be covered somewhere and if it has to be merged with the Machado topic, so be it. Seemed like it deserved its own thread though.

IF they miss out on Machado, what is a realistic play? It doesn't seem like you get this involved for someone of that caliber only to stand pat if you don't get him. Does the focus switch to pitching? Is it someone like Dozier or Escobar? Is there a name nobody is talking about that's a possibility. I am genuinely curious.

Also, working the night shift at work tonight and I have postseason/final week highlights from 2008 and 2011 going on my phone non-stop...

brewers are going to secure Escobar and dozier from minny. And a quality starter.

Archived