Brewer Fanatic

What to expect coming out of the break

brewmann04
  • Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply
If this ESPN link is to be trusted, the Brewers are dead center in Team Age:

http://www.espn.com/mlb/stats/rosters

Interesting. If that is current 25-man, it wouldn't include Peralta at 21, nor Braun at 34, though I suspect the two would pretty much cancel each other out.

In any event, with all the talent coming up through the minors, the average age of this team should only be getting younger over the next few years.

In view of some 40 man roster issues for this December, I expect us to move some affected guys. Regardless of Machado, I am expecting a move for the bullpen along the lines of Swarzak last year. There are two pen spots that seem troubling. I suppose you could keep someone like Lopez who can eat up innings when behind but not be used in pressure situations. But, regardless, we need another guy for leveraged situations, to take some stress off of Jeffress, Williams, Hader, Knebel and even Burnes.

As the ever pessimistic, debbie downer Brewer fan I expect them to hang three or four games behind the Cubs for a few weeks. Just close enough to feel like they could overtake them with a good week, yet far enough away that they never will and then around late August completely tank and miss a wild card spot. And all of this will happen whether Stearns makes any significant moves or not.

I highly doubt that the Brewers plan to move Hader back to the rotation.

Also you can't really compare the NBA to MLB, especially when talking playoff opportunities.

You highly doubt it? Ok, I don't. Either way I don't care, because my post was about what I want them to do, not a prediction of what they will do.

I can compare the NBA to MLB in context, which I did. The Brewers have been acting like the Bucks, and I'll stand by that.

I would stay the course with the rebuild and slowly keep adding our prospects to the big league roster. We aren't ready to overtake the Cubs by a longshot, why mortgage the future when we still have a ways to go? I would make a couple smaller moves for a bullpen arm and maybe a bat (not Machado) and see if the team can at least earn a wild card berth as presently constructed.

This is not a young team...

What do you consider young? 9 members of the current 25-man roster are age 26 or younger, and another 9 are either 27 or 28 years old. Outside of 38-year-old Kratz, no one else is over 32

The key guys are in their prime now. The mythical 4-5 year window isn’t valid with this roster and actually with most any roster. This is the time to make the playoffs. As someone already mentioned a rotation of Anderson, Chacin, and Guerra is not a rebuilding rotation, it’s a rotation where they are about as good as they are ever going to be.

As the ever pessimistic, debbie downer Brewer fan I expect them to hang three or four games behind the Cubs for a few weeks. Just close enough to feel like they could overtake them with a good week, yet far enough away that they never will and then around late August completely tank and miss a wild card spot. And all of this will happen whether Stearns makes any significant moves or not.

Well I’m right there with you but they are in prime WC position and their weaknesses are obvious and fixable. Stearns raised the white flag last year and I just don’t see him doing that this year when we are 12 games over 500 and leading the WC chase.

We lost out on the playoffs by a single game and a Machado or even a Dozier type would certainly be worth one game in 2.5 months.

As someone already mentioned a rotation of Anderson, Chacin, and Guerra is not a rebuilding rotation, it’s a rotation where they are about as good as they are ever going to be.

You believe that rotation is about as good as they are ever going to be? I'll take my chances with Hader, Burnes, Peralta, and Woodruff. Then Ortiz, Brown, and Medeiros on the way. If they still need a Chacin type to sprinkle in at some point, that's fine.

The mythical 4-5 year window isn’t valid with this roster and actually with most any roster.

I agree there's no mythical 4-5 year window. If they stick to a true rebuild they could have a 10-12 year window, who knows.

The key guys are in their prime now.

Who are the key guys right now? I'd consider the key guys at present (the likely core to stick around for a while) to be Burnes, Hader, Williams, Nottingham, Shaw, Peralta, Cain, Aguilar, and Yelich. Out of that list, only Shaw, Cain, and Aguilar are what I would consider to be in their 'prime' age (28-32). There are also other prospects coming up that should supplement that list in the next year or so (Hiura, Dubon, Houser), and others that could arrive in a couple seasons (Ortiz, Medeiros, Ray). Woodruff and Phillips have a chance of sticking it out as well.

I agree there's no mythical 4-5 year window. If they stick to a true rebuild they could have a 10-12 year window, who knows.

Stearns has always maintained that it was his goal to have the Brewers be a perennial contender, year in, year out. I fully expect it to be more than just a 5-year window.

As someone already mentioned a rotation of Anderson, Chacin, and Guerra is not a rebuilding rotation, it’s a rotation where they are about as good as they are ever going to be.

You believe that rotation is about as good as they are ever going to be? I'll take my chances with Hader, Burnes, Peralta, and Woodruff. Then Ortiz, Brown, and Medeiros on the way. If they still need a Chacin type to sprinkle in at some point, that's fine.

The mythical 4-5 year window isn’t valid with this roster and actually with most any roster.

I said those three are as good as they are going to be. The list of pitching prospects you meantioned are just that. Prospects. The performers who are responsible for the current record are for the most part not young.

If the next wave is what we hope fine but that's difficult to count on. What we do know for sure is our current roster is firmly in the playoff chase and they need help.

• 1- Cain
    2- Yelich
    3- Machado
    4- Jesus
    5- Realmuto
    6- Shaw
    7- Braun
    8- Pitcher
    9- Dozier

I believe "Pitcher" is actually spelled "deGrom".

HA! and that is not to be in blue. That was just plain funny!

"I'm sick of runnin' from these wimps!" Ajax - The WARRIORS

I would stay the course with the rebuild and slowly keep adding our prospects to the big league roster. We aren't ready to overtake the Cubs by a longshot, why mortgage the future when we still have a ways to go? I would make a couple smaller moves for a bullpen arm and maybe a bat (not Machado) and see if the team can at least earn a wild card berth as presently constructed.

As I said in another post, why not now. What makes you think that the Brewers will be in a better competitive position next year or the year after versus this year. The Cubs' lineup is better man for man and is not likely to see any deterioration for at least two or three years at the earliest (their core lineup is all 28 or younger) and they will "buy" pitching in the off season until they grow some of their own.

The Brewers should take advantage of the off years from Rizzo and Bryant and the injury to Darvish and the ineffectiveness of Chatwood to strike while the iron is hot.

As I said in another post, why not now. What makes you think that the Brewers will be in a better competitive position next year or the year after versus this year. The Cubs' lineup is better man for man and is not likely to see any deterioration for at least two or three years at the earliest (their core lineup is all 28 or younger) and they will "buy" pitching in the off season until they grow some of their own.

The Brewers should take advantage of the off years from Rizzo and Bryant and the injury to Darvish and the ineffectiveness of Chatwood to strike while the iron is hot.

Is it a pretty safe assumption that Kershaw is pitching on Friday?

It is unfortunate we will be facing a team such as this this weekend. It will be pretty damn dreadful if we continue to lose 3 more in a row... :(

Counsell now has an even tougher job to not let this Hader stuff effect the team and to keep Hader focused and not let it effect his pitching. This is beginning to really feel like the beginning of a long second half of the season. It will be very interesting to see how fans react to this.
"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

I think we should expect a Hader suspension. Either by the Brewers or by MLB. Those tweets, while old, were up on his Twitter feed for anyone to find. Whether he is or was a racist doesn't matter. He brought embarrassment to himself, the team and MLB on the biggest night of the regular season.

Archived