Brewer Fanatic

What to expect coming out of the break

brewmann04

Will DS make any moves ? or will he stand put.

what will CC learn from the first half and fix and make any adjustments.

what players will we see stepping up ?

what will the rotation look like coming out of the break and will their be any changes in the rotation or pen? Will Arcia or Santana make a second half return?

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I predict we will find out who machado goes to on Tuesday night, whether it's us or not, and Stearns will have added 2 players to the roster(outside the system) by friday.
Remember what Yoda said:

"Cubs lead to Cardinals. Cardinals lead to dislike. Dislike leads to hate. Hate leads to constipation."

I'm a Cub's fan, so value my comments as you will. With the slow start and injuries that Rizzo has had and Bryant's DL stints and Darvish's extended DL (not to mention Chatwood's ineffectiveness), the Brewers should go all in at the trade deadline (another bat or two - Machado? as well as a front of the rotation starting pitcher). This might be your best chance for the next few years.

There is no sense in waiting for the Cubs to get old, because they're younger than the Brewers at almost every position. The Brewers do have a couple of interesting prospects that are getting closer to Majors and they are likely to significantly improve at a few positions in the next couple of years, but those players don't figure to be better than what the Cubs already have.

Without a doubt, the Brewers have better pitching prospects (at least starting pitching prospects) closer to the majors than the Cubs do, but when all is said and done, pitchers break

It is there that the situation actually gets somewhat unfair, because the Cubs have the financial flexibility to "buy" pitching. They are paying Darvish and Chatwood around $35 M dollars this year and they are certainly not getting their money's worth, but they seem to be in first place going into the break. I made the point on the Cub's board that I normally post on that Cubs (like Boston, the Yankees and the Dodgers) have the financial latitude to make mistakes where the smaller market teams don't.

What they cannot do is "buy" pitching in season, which is why I suggest that the Brewers go for it now, because I doubt their (the Brewers) chances will improve over the next four or five years.

MR T Plush what your take on were Machado end up.

I’d go Brewers or Phillies.

1) Both have been rumored favorites for days now

2) Massive need for both teams

3) Both have the kind of prospects it will take

4) Both hungry to make the playoffs

Sometimes it just makes too much sense and it happens...this is one of those times. Dodgers might be a dark horse and not sure I buy into the Yankees interest.

If the Brewers can get it done without Burnes, Peralta, and Hiura I will predict them. I don’t think Stearns has panicked in the last couple days and I believe he wants that big splash if the price isn’t crazy.

I’ve got to be honest though, historically when we get tied to a player a bunch I feel like it never comes to fruition. Though that may have to do with that only happening with big ticket players and obviously you don’t get those players more often than not.

I agree it does seem like we linked alot but i also be happy if We don;t move any of those 3 BTW does CC pull Knebel out of the closer role

I’m probably not the only person wondering why we even have a “closer” so to speak. Just pitch these guys whenever it makes sense. Knebel has left a lot to be desired this year.

Hopefully Burnes can really solidify himself into a major role here quickly. That would fix a lot of the problems we face. Taylor Williams is also a guy who could play a big role in the second half.

I hope Knebel is moved out of his 9th inning duty where a manager suddenly refuses to remove said player until they blow up. We need to pull Knebel if he doesn’t have it.

I agree it does seem like we linked alot but i also be happy if We don;t move any of those 3 BTW does CC pull Knebel out of the closer role

I’m probably not the only person wondering why we even have a “closer” so to speak. Just pitch these guys whenever it makes sense. Knebel has left a lot to be desired this year.

I thought it was a blessing when Knebel was on the DL and we had Jeffress, Hader, Albers, and Jennings all in the 9th. How quickly Counsell forgot.

What do I expect? No idea. But here's what I would LIKE to see:

Nottingham get about 70% of the ABs at Catcher.

Get Arcia back at SS full time in the near future.

Platoon Santana/ Phillips roughly 50/50 in RF. DL Braun for the season. Try Tyrone Taylor out in September.

Give Hader, Peralta, and Burnes enough innings so they're ready to start full time next season.

Kick the tires on more relievers like Ramirez, QTC, Olzak, Griep, Perrin, Ponce, etc,

Trade guys like Thames, Pina, Perez, Villar, Miller, Saladino, Chacin, Anderson, Guerra if you can get fair value back for them.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor

They got through their "we're a crappy baseball team" stretch against the Pirates. I expect them to make a couple big moves, and come out firing at the end of the week. If Machado isn't a Brewer be the end of the week, I predict Dozier will be. I also think we'll see a significant starting pitching upgrade in the next couple weeks. I think upper management sees a team that, despite obvious flaws, is in the driver's seat for a playoff spot, and if they play their cards right, will be neck-and-neck with the Cubs through the end of the season.

I also think Williams may start seeing some of Knebel's save chances.

I don't want Stearns to do anything. Machado would be great but he won't come cheap. Do we really want to give Baltimore top prospects for a half a season rental?

The team is still in the driver's seat for a playoff spot. If Machado improves on the chance of that happening, yes. Without even really giving it a second thought.

Also, what do you consider "top prospects"? I keep seeing that thrown around, but it's pretty subjective.

I don't want Stearns to do anything. Machado would be great but he won't come cheap. Do we really want to give Baltimore top prospects for a half a season rental?

The team is still in the driver's seat for a playoff spot. If Machado improves on the chance of that happening, yes. Without even really giving it a second thought.

Also, what do you consider "top prospects"? I keep seeing that thrown around, but it's pretty subjective.

I am not as familiar with our minor league prospects as others. I'll leave this to others here who know more than I do.

If the Brewers can get it done without Burnes, Peralta, and Hiura I will predict them. I don’t think Stearns has panicked in the last couple days and I believe he wants that big splash if the price isn’t crazy.

You might as well kick in the Biloxi roster if you are going to trade those three for a rental. Yours isn't in blue, so mine isn't either.

FV's plan makes sense for a club in the midst of rebuilding but not for a contending team.

So the Brewers are...

I read that, and the only thing I thought was "perennially rebuilding".

They haven't been perennially rebuilding, that's the problem. They "went for it" several years at the end of Melvin's regime. They sort of went for it last year. But they certainly have not had a long stretch of rebuilding. I don't consider a rotation of Guerra, Anderson, and Chacin to be rebuilding.

If/when they have Hader, Burnes, Peralta, and possible Woodruff in the rotation, it's just the Bucks model of trying to be a decent team and hope to get lucky. Who knows, sometimes things come together more quickly than planned. Maybe that young rotation is really good right away. If they are, then I have no problem adding a bat at this time next year.

I'm patient. We've waited 50 years, so I don't really care if it take another two years to do this right.

You might as well kick in the Biloxi roster if you are going to trade those three for a rental. Yours isn't in blue, so mine isn't either.

I'm not following. He said get it done WITHOUT Burnes, Peralta and Hiura, meaning those three are not in play for a rental. Which makes very good sense.

I'm not following. He said get it done WITHOUT Burnes, Peralta and Hiura, meaning those three are not in play for a rental. Which makes very good sense.

Sorry misread. Went to delete and you had already replied.

This is not a young team and they are in the first WC position. They will make a big move to beef up the offense and likely another starter because you can’t count on any kind of Nelson effective return.

I highly doubt that the Brewers plan to move Hader back to the rotation.

Also you can't really compare the NBA to MLB, especially when talking playoff opportunities.

This is not a young team...

What do you consider young? 9 members of the current 25-man roster are age 26 or younger, and another 9 are either 27 or 28 years old. Outside of 38-year-old Kratz, no one else is over 32

Archived