Brewer Fanatic

Cardinals fire Mike Matheny

Brewer Fanatic Contributor
The timing of this is interesting. Story breaking of bad blood between Matheny and Dexter Fowler, and Bud Norris and others basically being a dick.... hazing Jordan Hicks, and Matheny not only allowing it but endorsing it, and now he's fired. I get that they're not good this year, but these stories coming to light confirm what we all already knew about Matheny the manager, he's a Grade A butthole. You can be a butthole if you're a winner. Once the wins stop coming...... that's another story.

Just saw this posted in the random notes area. Matheny essentially encouraged Bud Norris' bullying, and acted as Matheny's snitch. Weird stuff.

https://deadspin.com/extremely-cardinals-report-mike-matheny-respects-bud-n-1827528307

Yup.

It's 2018. This stuff is not okay. Apparently we didn't learn ANYTHING from the Richie Incognito saga. Bud Norris should be suspended for a month and mlb should make a statement saying "this is not going to be tolerated"

I know, I know "this happens on every team!!!"

That doesn't make it ok. It's stupid as hell. There is no need for hazing and bullying. If you think bullying people makes you a good teammate, you're wrong. You're probably also an idiot.

Interesting the hitting coaches got canned as well in that we also have been scuffling with the bat. If the Cardinals start hitting again and get back in contention it just serves as evidence Darnell Coles is the main reason for this putrid offense and he should be shown the door.

The Deadspin article is worthless because one can't trust any of the information in it due to the juvenile way it's written. It's sub-bulletin board level "journalism." "dunderheadedness" " Designated Veteran A******" "bunch of goobers" The language indicates there is no objective reporting going on here whatsoever. It might as well be The Onion.

I would agree that it's inappropriate if the Cardinals are engaging in excessive frat boy like pranks and language that has gone way over the edge. But if some players are continually late for work and showing a sub-par work ethic, and other players are all over their case because of it, that's something I really don't have a problem with.

This is the first season that I can ever remember where I've looked at that Cardinal team and didn't think they were at least as good as Milwaukee ON PAPER. How much that had to do with Matheny...I guess we will now find out. There just isn't that one big bat in the lineup that scares you. Matt Carpenter is a fine player, and probably should be considered an under-rated offensive player, but he's probably their best bat but really isn't an "intimidator" when he's at the plate. Their bullpen seems to be stocked with a lot of "real average" guys too. It was pretty much essential that guys like Greg Holland and Luke Gregerson come in, pitch well in established role and lay the foundation for the rest of the players but both of those pitchers have performed poorly. Unless they make some real headline acquisition at the deadline, I'd be very disappointed if the Brewers were behind the Cardinals at the end of the year because, despite the Cardinals advantage in the starting rotation, I think the Brewers have a better team.

I was reading some commentary in the Post-Dispatch and the writers there also seemed to be very critical of the Cardinal's defense. Looking at total errors can be very misleading, but the fact that the Cardinals are dead last in MLB with 77 errors is pretty convincing that their defense hasn't been good (MLB median is 54). Interestingly enough, DRS has the Cardinals at a +15 which is 11th best in MLB and the UZR/150 is -1.7 which ranks them 20th, so the numbers are all over the board. Cardinal writers are obviously not impressed, and I'd trust them over anybody when it comes to the important eyeball test.

Just saw this posted in the random notes area. Matheny essentially encouraged Bud Norris' bullying, and acted as Matheny's snitch. Weird stuff.

https://deadspin.com/extremely-cardinals-report-mike-matheny-respects-bud-n-1827528307

I didn't read The Athletic article. What kind of bullying are we talking about here?

"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

Also, how will Chris Carpenter explain this to his son?

(this will never get old and not funny to me)

"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

I didn't read The Athletic article. What kind of bullying are we talking about here?

The Athletic has a paywall. I was going to go in and read it myself, but I'm a cheap old skinflint.

I keep in mind that Bud Norris is also the guy that said The players don't appreciate "foreign players" coming into the game and showing emotion and having fun.

“I think it’s a culture shock,” Norris said, regarding foreign players. “This is America’s game. This is America’s pastime, and over the last 10–15 years we’ve seen a very big world influence in this game, which we as a union and as players appreciate. We’re opening this game to everyone that can play. However, if you’re going to come into our country and make our American dollars, you need to respect a game that has been here for over a hundred years, and I think sometimes that can be misconstrued. There are some players that have antics, that have done things over the years that we don’t necessarily agree with.

“I understand you want to say it’s a cultural thing or an upbringing thing. But by the time you get to the big leagues, you better have a pretty good understanding of what this league is and how long it’s been around.”

I have absolutely no doubt that this is a guy who can ride a rookie or young guy all season long to the point that the rookie said the wrong (or right thing...... depends on your point of view) to a reporter or a person who said something to a reporter.

I like that he thinks it's over the last 10-15 years that the game has suddenly become multicultural, like they've suddenly 'allowed' it to happen. Roberto Clemente probably rolled over in his grave.

The Deadspin article is worthless because one can't trust any of the information in it due to the juvenile way it's written. It's sub-bulletin board level "journalism." "dunderheadedness" " Designated Veteran A******" "bunch of goobers" The language indicates there is no objective reporting going on here whatsoever. It might as well be The Onion.

That's exactly why I don't read Deadspin. Ever.

I long ago decided to skip websites that engage in juvenile rumor-mongering littered with potty language.

Last night I said on my forum that last night's loss was another nail in the Matheny coffin. He's got a guy in Dexter Fowler that's playing such bad baseball...just hard to believe he's still suiting up. Here's what happened:

Runners on 2nd and 3rd, no outs. Hard grounder to 3rd and Fowler gets caught about 4 feet off the bag. Instead of continuing to home to start a rundown so the other runners can advance he runs back to 3B immediatly, goes out of the baseline, gets called out and without having to make a tag the 3Bman throws to 1st to double up the hitter, Pham.

It was a jaw dropping thing to watch. It was truly sickening. More proof that the rich SOB's on this team really don't give a damn.

I don't blame Matheny for being the worst manager I've seen since Ken Boyer...I blame the GM that hired and supported his sorry ass these long six years. He still has his job. That's too bad for so-called Cardinal nation.

Dead, I know it's early, but any speculation on who the Cards might go after? Who is your preference?
I would bet money that they keep this Shildt guy. GM Mozelic would never bring in a man with his own baseball mind. The man's too insecure.

EDIT: In answer to your second question (my preference) of the men available I would like Ozzie Guillen. Too bad he's Latino.

Last night I said on my forum that last night's loss was another nail in the Matheny coffin. He's got a guy in Dexter Fowler that's playing such bad baseball...just hard to believe he's still suiting up. Here's what happened:

Runners on 2nd and 3rd, no outs. Hard grounder to 3rd and Fowler gets caught about 4 feet off the bag. Instead of continuing to home to start a rundown so the other runners can advance he runs back to 3B immediatly, goes out of the baseline, gets called out and without having to make a tag the 3Bman throws to 1st to double up the hitter, Pham.

It was a jaw dropping thing to watch. It was truly sickening. More proof that the rich SOB's on this team really don't give a damn.

I don't blame Matheny for being the worst manager I've seen since Ken Boyer...I blame the GM that hired and supported his sorry ass these long six years. He still has his job. That's too bad for so-called Cardinal nation.

Not picking on you personally but this is the type of criticism that always baffles me. How are any of those things on Matheny? The player yes. The GM who brought him in yes. Hell the baserunning coach can even share the blame. The manager is about the last person in the team to blame for that.

There needs to be a King Thames version of the bible.

Dead, I know it's early, but any speculation on who the Cards might go after? Who is your preference?
I would bet money that they keep this Shildt guy. GM Mozelic would never bring in a man with his own baseball mind. The man's too insecure.

EDIT: In answer to your second question (my preference) of the men available I would like Ozzie Guillen. Too bad he's Latino.

So no chance at Joe Girardi??? As a baseball fan I would think he would be a very good addition if the Cards decided to pursue him.

If Buck Showalter is not kept in Baltimore after the season, he is another very good baseball mind out on the market.

I think John Farrell is a good addition to a mgmt group (either in FO or coaching staff) but was not a fan of him as a manager (in Toronto or Boston)..

Not picking on you personally but this is the type of criticism that always baffles me. How are any of those things on Matheny? The player yes. The GM who brought him in yes. Hell the baserunning coach can even share the blame. The manager is about the last person in the team to blame for that.

Reread my post. I don't blame Mike at all. Not HIS fault he was kept for near seven years with his horrid in-game managing.

And of course the players are also to blame for a myriad of on field gaffs too numerous to list.

So no chance at Joe Girardi??? As a baseball fan I would think he would be a very good addition if the Cards decided to pursue him.

If Buck Showalter is not kept in Baltimore after the season, he is another very good baseball mind out on the market.

I think John Farrell is a good addition to a mgmt group (either in FO or coaching staff) but was not a fan of him as a manager (in Toronto or Boston)..

Mo' won't hire ANY established Major League manager. PERIOD. But Girardi would be more than fine with me. Buck too.

Also, how will Chris Carpenter explain this to his son?

(this will never get old and not funny to me)

I’d almost guarantee carpenter bullies his son on a daily basis, after witnessing his pathetic demeanor on the field.

"Did I ever tell you how I became a Postman Abby? I don't know if you'd laugh or cry"-The Postman

Reread my post. I don't blame Mike at all. Not HIS fault he was kept for near seven years with his horrid in-game managing.

And of course the players are also to blame for a myriad of on field gaffs too numerous to list.

I did read your post. It was overly hyperbolic as witnesses by the worst manager since Ken Boyer comment and the example you chose to use as another nail in the coffin had nothing to do with Matheny. I get 90% of the fans of every team hates pretty much every in game decision the manager makes but come on. Cardinal fans are supposed to be more baseball savvy than that.

There needs to be a King Thames version of the bible.

I did read your post. It was overly hyperbolic as witnesses by the worst manager since Ken Boyer comment and the example you chose to use as another nail in the coffin had nothing to do with Matheny. I get 90% of the fans of every team hates pretty much every in game decision the manager makes but come on. Cardinal fans are supposed to be more baseball savvy than that.

FYI: Boyer was my HERO when I was a kid and I liked Matheny when he caught for the team. Neither had ANY business managing a team. Same goes for Joe Torre. Boyer and Torre got fired quick, but Mike just went on and on.

Seven damn years of waiting for his sorry butt to get the can would lead ANY fan to hyperbolley! :angry

Archived