Brewer Fanatic

Starlin Castro?

Brewer Fanatic Contributor

Just throwing a name out for discussion that won't cost the entire farm system:

2nd baseman (but played full time SS as recently as 2015) currently hitting .293/.340/.412. 28 years old (he's been around forever it seems), he is signed through 2020 (team option for last year). Plays ok defense.

"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

If the marlins would take a couple low level prospects and get the marlins to eat a couple million we should. I’d rather get him than Dozier. After this year it’s a 13m commitment for next year (including his buyout for 2020).

I like the idea. I thought the same thing while watching the game the other day. However, Miami can't possibly need to shed anymore salary, so they may ask for quite a bit. The revolving door 2nd and SS that its tough to get a guage on how is truly productive and how isn't. Villar's boneheaded baserunning today is kind of the last straw for me. He's gotta be a throw in in a trade. We can't afford his mistakes and inconsistent bat.

I guess if we were trading for him to play 2B, maybe. I don't want to see him at SS, though. He wasn't a good SS in his young years, and his range and instincts have only gone the other way since.

But he can hit, and this team sure does need guys that can hit.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor

Castro would get us through 2019 at 2B (I'm guessing the 2020 option of $16M would be bought out for $1M).

Makes roughly $11M this year and $12M in 2019 (plus the $1M buyout) - so he isn't cheap.

Solid player the last couple of years. Adequate defender at 2B, but nothing special. Not sure how he would do at SS. A couple of years ago he seemed to be getting worse there as he put on weight and bulk (he weighs 230 now - at least officially). So I'm not sure he'd work there.

He looks like a 2.0-.2.5 WAR type guy at 2B. Good average. Bit of power. Doesn't walk much. He doesn't put up big splits either, meaning he could go out there most of the time and not force the team to come up with a platoon. We could do worse.

If you're taking on salary, I wouldn't give much for him. In the end, he'd be a positive asset for the next year or so.

Archived