Machado

.314/.383/.573

21 2Bs

23 HRs

63 RBI

163 OPS+

154 wRC+

-20 DRS

Both Escobar and Machado would be pure rentals so this makes it easier to compare. It is quite obvious that Machado is a much better hitter but Escobar is having a great season as well. Both are below average fielders but Machado is pretty terrible at SS (I believe the worst in the league). Since defense is such a huge part of the Brewers success, is the difference between Machado and Escobar's offensive production worth the higher cost (prospects) and worse defense?

Curious what you all think...

If the cost is drastically less I'm fine with Escobar. Of course the pedigree is more there for Machado to keep this or something close to it up and he's just a better hitter. But there is also a good chance of some regression from Machado in the 2nd half as he's never hit anything close to this before in his career. Scanning their relievers for someone to package with Escobar and Zach Duke is staring me in the face as well.

The problem with Escobar is that he's in a month long slump and isn't showing any signs of getting out of it. He's also a "switch hitter" but his splits suggest he should be platooned against LHP. The good thing is that he's crushing RHP on the year which he would face the majority of the time.

I view him as a slightly better Brad Miller.

@WiscoSportsNut

Wouldn't it be better to compare ROS projections from Zips or Steamer than YTD stats? I would assume Machado has a significant edge there.

ZiPS ROS has Machado finishing out the year with 2.6 WAR and a .870 OPS.

ZiPS ROS has Escobar finishing out the year with 1.0 WAR and a .778 OPS.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived