Brewer Fanatic

Stearns for Syndergaard

You guys are underrating what Stearns has done here, IMO. He took a rebuilding team with a lousy farm over and turned it into a contender almost overnight with only one losing season as GM all the while turning the farm around as well. That's a little more valuable than one ace. Think of all the under the radar moves like Guerra and Jeffress that maybe someone other than Stearns misses.

Thor obviously gives us the better shot for this year. Beyond that, hopefully you strike gold at GM again.

This is a really silly question, but to answer it, I would for sure trade Stearns for Syndergaard. He's a hell of a pitcher when he's healthy. I think Stearns has done a good job for the most part, but he basically put 3 guys in front of Jesus coming into the season and hasn't done a darn thing to shore up the SP. I would certainly hope there's a list of GM candidates that would be equally as qualified to take over if Stearns was ever to leave, and I think it would be worth dipping into that pool to acquire someone like Thor.

I don't think Stearns is irreplacable. But you are criticizing him for things I disagree with. .

Aguilar hadn't shown this type of power and average to date. I don't know how much is Counsell, but I don't think anybody was too shocked that Braun and Thames received time at 1B, until Aguilar got his chance. If anything, I think Stearns should be credited in seeing that Aguilar needed to be kept on the 25 man roster and not traded just to clear a spot because we had too many 1B.

Saying he hasn't shored up the starting pitching, when our staff has generally been pretty good and 75% of the free agents that were highly touted have been pretty bad - is a stretch. Chacin has been one of the very best signings of the offseason. I don't know if you will see a trade for a starting pitcher now either, as our staff is pretty decent (have to figure get down to two of Peralta/Miley/Suter and Davies truly healthy), so why trade for a guy that isn't a real upgrade? And there are not any real upgrades available (Mets) (Happ and Archer have not been good lately).

This is a really silly question, but to answer it, I would for sure trade Stearns for Syndergaard. He's a hell of a pitcher when he's healthy. I think Stearns has done a good job for the most part, but he basically put 3 guys in front of Jesus coming into the season and hasn't done a darn thing to shore up the SP. I would certainly hope there's a list of GM candidates that would be equally as qualified to take over if Stearns was ever to leave, and I think it would be worth dipping into that pool to acquire someone like Thor.

I don't think Stearns is irreplacable. But you are criticizing him for things I disagree with. .

Aguilar hadn't shown this type of power and average to date. I don't know how much is Counsell, but I don't think anybody was too shocked that Braun and Thames received time at 1B, until Aguilar got his chance. If anything, I think Stearns should be credited in seeing that Aguilar needed to be kept on the 25 man roster and not traded just to clear a spot because we had too many 1B.

Saying he hasn't shored up the starting pitching, when our staff has generally been pretty good and 75% of the free agents that were highly touted have been pretty bad - is a stretch. Chacin has been one of the very best signings of the offseason. I don't know if you will see a trade for a starting pitcher now either, as our staff is pretty decent (have to figure get down to two of Peralta/Miley/Suter and Davies truly healthy), so why trade for a guy that isn't a real upgrade? And there are not any real upgrades available (Mets) (Happ and Archer have not been good lately).

Yeah I agree with this. Finding a way to somehow criticize Stearns for Aguilar seems quite odd to me. You'd think he'd get huge kudos for getting a player like that for free.

This is ridiculous.

So as a journalist, Heyman gets assigned to write an article about potential GM Candidates for the Mets to replace Sandy Alderson.

So he writes an article speculating 8 GMs that "may" be candidates. He doesn't check the GMs current contracts or anything but just speculates potential targets.

Non-journalist dude at "Brew Crew Ball" writes an "article" repeating this rumor that Stearns is a candidate for the Mets opening to drum up traffic for his blog.

Brewerfan freaks out...

Fun stuff.

Same thing he did yesterday with the "Burnes in trade package for Machado" Bowden tweet. Wash, rinse, repeat.

I called him on it yesterday, and a poster named iKezims defended the heck out of it. I'm assuming iKezims is Mr. Ford.

Lol, I am not Brad Ford. My Twitter handle is the same as my username.

I am going to defend journalism in whole over defending Brad. I don't know Brad. His work is good and he is still using his time and resources and is usually pretty solid.

Has he had a few click-baity articles lately? Sure. But are some users here going over the top to knit-pick him? Yes.

This is the age of #FakeNews, but you literally can't just call everything FakeNews because a few words are out of place.

I don't know if this is Brad's only job, but the fact that this is a SB Nation syndicate, then I can assure you he likely makes very little.

Though you guys might not always agree with his articles and work, we should still be appreciative in a sense that someone is using their time to put out a product. He has four new articles up, all are good, but no one here is talking about that. It is RUMOR season people. If you are assessing a journalist by how he posts rumors, then you really have deeper rooted anger for media than a Brewers blogger.

This is the age of #FakeNews, but you literally can't just call everything FakeNews because a few words are out of place.

You can if the "few words out of place" literally makes the "news" completely fake. Which is what he did. He did the equivalent of changing "there are asteroids in space" to "an asteroid is headed towards Earth." There is a huge gap between "the Brewers have discussed certain players", which is a pretty insignificant statement, and "the Brewers have offered certain players", which is a very significant statement. It was pretty bad and irresponsible.

You can if the "few words out of place" literally makes the "news" completely fake. Which is what he did. He did the equivalent of changing "there are asteroids in space" to "an asteroid is headed towards Earth." There is a huge gap between "the Brewers have discussed certain players", which is a pretty insignificant statement, and "the Brewers have offered certain players", which is a very significant statement. It was pretty bad and irresponsible.

"Posted to: BREWERS RUMORS AND SPECULATION"

"Report: Brewers offer for Machado includes Corbin Burnes" -- It was the report, albeit from Bowden

"Jon Morosi: Brewers engaging in trade talks with Twins" -- Sourced in the title

"Report: David Stearns could be a candidate for the Mets GM Opening" -- Was the report, says the word could

The dude has 20 posts to his writing repertoire. He has solid prospect posts daily. I am just saying instead of being angry pitchfork men and actually calling someone out, by name, on a message board, saying they are doing a horrible job, take a step back and if you truly want to offer them criticism do it in a fair way. We all want the same thing. Dude is a Brewers fan providing us content. Is this board that spoiled that we don't see it that way that we are all on the same team? Or do we need elitism inside the fanhood?

Also, I know this is not what this forum is for and I think this post has already went off the rails, I've lurked here since 2012. I respect this place, but seldom post. But I honestly just think you guys are treating him unfairly. Line between critiques and something more.

Well, at some point Stearns is going to leave. GMs rarely retire from their one and only job as a GM. Either they get fired or resign and move to another market. Stearns is what? 26? 27? Ok, he just looks that young.

But the point is, I can't imagine that being the GM of the Milwaukee Brewers will be David Stearns last job. And considering he is successful, I would guess that larger market teams are going to come sniffing around. So much like a player approaching free agency the question for ownership is, "Do you attempt to get something for him before his contract ends or do you take the chance of resigning him?" And then from there are the questions about his value and timelines. The difference is that with a GM, you can't just trade him. He has to want to go someplace. Hopefully, if Stearns has an interest in the NY Mets job than owner and GM will have a conversation about it.

I don't think there has ever been a trade of a player for the releasing of a GM from a contract to sign with the player's former team but I don't believe there is anything that precludes this from happening. And the case of David Stearns may be the perfect first example.

Guys -

I know Brad, he's a good guy. Yes those posts were a bit click-baity, but for the most part he puts out great minor league content including player interviews and daily minor league recaps. And he's also doing all of that for free.

He knows a lot about the Brewers' farm system. I trade notes on him regarding different prospects all of the time. He's not some hack.

The personal attacks earlier in the thread were completely off base. Those would have been unacceptable had they been directed at someone who posts on this site, and I'd like to think we could extend the same courtesy to others in the Brewers' fan community.

Now that everyone has had their say, the dragging needs to stop. If you want to start a topic on the state of web-based journalism and can manage to keep it out of the political sphere, feel free to start a thread on the off-topic board. Thanks.

Not sure if the reports are legit or not but it wouldn’t shock me to see him leave. He is proving to the league to be one of the best. He probably has a dream job like we all do. If that comes knocking, I’m sure he will think long and hard about taking it. I mean, who wouldn’t?
"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

Not sure if the reports are legit or not but it wouldn’t shock me to see him leave. He is proving to the league to be one of the best. He probably has a dream job like we all do. If that comes knocking, I’m sure he will think long and hard about taking it. I mean, who wouldn’t?

Not trying to be snarky, but maybe his dream job is being the GM of a team that wins its first ever World Series.

Not trying to be snarky, but maybe his dream job is being the GM of a team that wins its first ever World Series.

His dream job is probably to make the most possible money. Actually I pretty much assure it as so.

That being said he should never leave for more money unless we are stupid. GMs don’t make a lot. Not sure how it is these days, but most make under $2mil. The ones that made more it wasn’t much more than that.

After money it really depends. If things are going well here I doubt he leaves unless he does have a dream situation (location, market size).

Yeah, he very well could want to be a part of Milwaukee winning their first WS but it’s probably more believable that he would want his best shot at winning them and that’s probably not in Milwaukee.
"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

Brewers get:

Noah Syndergaard

Mets get:

Keston Hiura

Corbin Burnes

Corey Ray

Giannis Antetokounmpo

Controlling interest in Harley Davidson

[Extremely Dr. Evil Voice] One Billion Dollars

Miller Park's roof

Beer (all)

Who says no

The Mets because they would find something wrong with the roofs right hip.

[sarcasm]Would Stearns and Melvin be enough?[/sarcasm]

I totally had forgotten for like a year now that Doug Melvin is actually still employed by the Milwaukee Brewers until I saw this post. What the heck is his job again?

[sarcasm]Would Stearns and Melvin be enough?[/sarcasm]

I totally had forgotten for like a year now that Doug Melvin is actually still employed by the Milwaukee Brewers until I saw this post. What the heck is his job again?

Probably show up for half a day, drink coffee, and then spend the afternoon golfing.

Archived