Brewer Fanatic

Link Report for Wednesday 7/11 - Biloxi Brunch

And That

http://www.brewerfan.net/images/store/dailylinkreport.jpg

Organizational Scoreboard including starting pitcher info, game times, MiLB TV links, and box scores

Dominican Summer League Scoreboard (includes DSL Brewers/Indians game)

Links for affiliate audio

Media notes, standings, and sortable stat pages

The entire local TV Timber Rattlers broadcast schedule

Must-follows for you on Twitter -- In addition to the affiliate Twitter accounts, please follow:

@BrewersFarm

@BrewCrewBlue

Believe me, the way they supplement any coverage and links we might be able to provide is invaluable.

Ray's 2nd home run gives him the Southern League lead with 15.

Saw most of Ortiz' outing. Slider was nasty as ever but in a recurring theme, he's been having trouble locating his FB for good strikes. He left a number of them over the plate in the first inning and got hit hard. He seems to be stuck in the middle about where he wants to establish his FB. In the past, it's been lower in the zone, but it seems like he wants to establish higher like Supak does. Unfortunately, he's regularly not getting them high enough. (If that's what he's even going for). Which is a shame, because when his fastball is on, it compliments his slider perfectly.

Hiura's timing seems off. He was late on a number of pitches he's usually not late on.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor
Checking out some Southern League stats and noticed that Monte Harrison has 142 K's. That's a lot.
"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

All of Ray's numbers are amazing except for that 27% K rate. If that k rate was around 20%, he would be up there with Keston hype IMO. 43 XBHs and 13% BB rate is incredibly encouraging.

Speaking of Keston hype, would be nice to see him snap out of this soon. Oof.

All of Ray's numbers are amazing except for that 27% K rate. If that k rate was around 20%, he would be up there with Keston hype IMO. 43 XBHs and 13% BB rate is incredibly encouraging.

Ray's K% has come down from 31.0% last year to 27.2% this year. Clearly still not good, but moving in the right direction. Rome wasn't built in a day.

Should also be noted that Ray's BB% has risen from 9.5% last year to 11.4% this year. ISO is also up from .129 to .213. When K% is going down while BB% and ISO are going up, good things are happening.

Final: Biloxi 8, Jackson 3

It's a Hat Trick! Ray Goes Yard Three Times in Win

Brewers #6 Prospect Becomes Third Shucker in Franchise History to Belt Three

By Spencer Siegel / Biloxi Shuckers

cut.jpg

(Michael Krebs)

Biloxi Box Score

Corey Ray says BOOM. Biloxi's CF hit three HRs on Wednesday, leading the Shuckers to a 8-3 win over Jackson. Lucas Erceg added an HR, and Troy Stokes, Jr. had a hit and three walks.

On the mound, Luis Ortiz, Cody Ponce and Brad Kuntz had their shares of ups and downs, but they did enough to secure the win. Ponce's seven strikeouts in 4.1 innings were impressive.

Batting

Corey Ray: 3-5, 3 HR, 4 RBI

Troy Stokes, Jr.: 1-2, 3BB, SB

Lucas Erceg: 1-4, HR

Tyler Heineman: 1-2, 2B, 2BB

Luis Aviles, Jr.: 1-3, BB

Pitching

Luis Ortiz: 3.0 IP, 5 hits, 1 ER, 0BB, 2K

Cody Ponce: 4.1 IP, 3 hits, 0 ER, 3BB, 7K, Win

Brad Kuntz: 1.2 IP, 3 hits, 1 ER, 0BB, 2K

Notes

Corey Ray now leads the Southern League in HRs with 16. Jake Gatewood is second with 14, while Troy Stokes, Jr. is not far behind with 13.

Biloxi Game Log

Shuckers took the lead in the 3rd inning with HRs from Ray and Erceg.

Biloxi Bottom of the 3rd

Corey Ray homers (15) on a line drive to right center field.

Troy Stokes Jr. walks.

With Keston Hiura batting, Troy Stokes Jr. steals (15) 2nd base.

Keston Hiura grounds out, second baseman Domingo Leyba to first baseman Josh Prince. Troy Stokes Jr. to 3rd.

Jake Gatewood out on a sacrifice fly to center fielder Ben DeLuzio. Troy Stokes Jr. scores.

Lucas Erceg homers (8) on a fly ball to right center field.

Pitching Change: Bud Jeter replaces Ryan Atkinson, batting 9th.

Tyler Heineman grounds out, second baseman Domingo Leyba to first baseman Josh Prince.

Nice to see Ponce with a solid outing today. It would be great to see him reestablish himself as a solid rotation prospect.

Sort of. 94 pitches to get through 4.1 innings.

Not encouraging to see Ortiz only go 49 pitches.

Nice to see Ponce with a solid outing today. It would be great to see him reestablish himself as a solid rotation prospect.

Sort of. 94 pitches to get through 4.1 innings.

Ortiz is probably about due for another non-pitching injury that prevents him from pitching for another month or so. To be frank, he has been a disappointment during his time with the Brewers. Despite his obvious talent, he's treading water at a time when true MLB-caliber starters need to take a significant next step.

I think the general consensus on Ray was that of a "B" prospect before the season. I sure hope we don't trade him as a secondary piece. How good is he in the outfield?
"Did I ever tell you how I became a Postman Abby? I don't know if you'd laugh or cry"-The Postman

How good is he in the outfield?

My gut says he's average. He didn't play CF in college, so he's still a work in progress at the position. At this point, with his speed he can make up for many things. I've heard some criticism of his angles going after some balls - that sort of thing. Most things I've read say that he's definitely improved since turning pro - which is to be expected with experience.

I'm going most of this off reading other reports - so perhaps others who have seen him play can give you a better feel.

Final: DSL Phillies White 4, DSL Brewers 1 (Game One)

The Brewers managed just one run on four hits as they dropped game one of their doubleheader by a score of 4-1. Santiago Elizondo got the start and was charged with the loss after pitching five innings and giving up two runs. Leony Rosario worked an inning of relief and surrendered a pair of unearned runs. Second baseman Victor Vargas led the offense, going 2-for-2 with a double and a run scored while Larry Ernesto and Juan Frias each added a base hit.

Box Score / Game Log

Final: DSL Phillies White 1, DSL Brewers 0 (Game Two)

Things went from bad to worse in game two, as was mentioned earlier, The Brewers were no-hit and fell to the Phillies, 1-0. Wilmy De Jesus started and suffered the loss, despite allowing just one run while scattering four hits over five innings. Abner Uribe worked the final two scoreless frames, giving up only one hit. There obviously wasn't much offense to speak of with Larry Ernesto and Alwinson Valdez each drawing a base on balls.

Box Score / Game Log

Despite the outcome on the field, the Brewers did get a little bit of good news, as a pair of farmhands were named to the Dominican Summer League All-Star team. Outfielders Carlos Rodriguez and Bryan Connell (Co-op Brewers) were selected to the National League team while Victor Estevez was named to the NL coaching staff as well.

Community Moderator

He is pitching in the Futures Game on Sunday. While he’ll likely only pitch one inning in that contest, I wonder if they limited his pitches today knowing he is going to be pitching again on three days rest?

Not just “at Night” anymore.

Archived