Brewer Fanatic

Brewers Claim Harvey (8/24) - Have Until 12:30 to Complete Trade

• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Any guesses on what it would take to acquire him? I doubt the Reds would just want salary relief.

It shouldn't take anything more than a roster filler-type marginal prospect. Someone like Derby maybe. It would be nice to be able to clear another guy who may stand a chance of being taken in the Rule 5.

If they do make this trade I would be really curious to see what they decide to do with the rotation. I don't see Peralta and Davies excelling in a bullpen role so maybe Guerra moves to long relief?

That would be my guess. Guerra has been solid in relief in the past, and having a guy who's stretched out in the pen would be a good thing.

Any guesses on what it would take to acquire him? I doubt the Reds would just want salary relief.

It shouldn't take anything more than a roster filler-type marginal prospect. Someone like Derby maybe. It would be nice to be able to clear another guy who may stand a chance of being taken in the Rule 5.

I hope so. He isn't having a great year. Yes, he probably has a higher ceiling than anything we have just due to his stuff, but not sure he is much of an improvement over what we currently have.

I hope so. He isn't having a great year. Yes, he probably has a higher ceiling than anything we have just due to his stuff, but not sure he is much of an improvement over what we currently have.

Because we are a couple minor injuries away from Aaron Wilkerson making meaningful playoff race starts.

Because we are a couple minor injuries away from Aaron Wilkerson making meaningful playoff race starts.

Yeah, but you are also talking about someone who is going to make a stink if he isn't starting. So we better have a clear plan going forward. Seems to me chemistry is an asset for this team. He ain't no Doc Medich.

I sure hope they don't give away Derby for him, that is too much. The Reds lost all leverage. It better be someone much further down the food chain and cash.

I’d be shocked if they claimed him and can’t get something to work out. He is a pure rental so not like the Reds care much about how it improves us. I’m confident we will give them the marginal prospect required if we went through the trouble of claiming him.

peralta wont make the playoff roster

This is seemingly out of left field, but ok.

Maybe he thinks Wily is still on the team?

"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

peralta wont make the playoff roster

This is seemingly out of left field, but ok.

Maybe he thinks Wily is still on the team?

Wily is actually putting up nice numbers out of KC's pen this season. Perhaps he is just predicting the Brewers will trade for Wily after Sept. 1, making Wily ineligible for the playoff roster. Gotta be it!

it should be noted that the 40-man roster is currently full. either a player with a major league contract will be traded for harvey, or the brewers will have to make a corresponding move.

Orf, Thompson, Hernandez could be DFAd. Even Lyles could be DFAd as we would be moving a starter into the pen.

Yeah, but you are also talking about someone who is going to make a stink if he isn't starting. So we better have a clear plan going forward. Seems to me chemistry is an asset for this team. He ain't no Doc Medich.

I sure hope they don't give away Derby for him, that is too much. The Reds lost all leverage. It better be someone much further down the food chain and cash.

I hardly think Harvey will be a problem no matter his role as long as he's pitching when he's stuck in that dump for the rest of the season otherwise vs pitching in pennant races.

Harvey hasn’t been good since 2015. What am I missing here? Praying for a DJ miracle?

Or trying to avoid Peralta and Guerra both in the rotation. I wouldn’t be too shocked if one averages an ERA well over 5 the rest of the way.

Harvey hasn’t been good since 2015. What am I missing here? Praying for a DJ miracle?

Or trying to avoid Peralta and Guerra both in the rotation. I wouldn’t be too shocked if one averages an ERA well over 5 the rest of the way.

I wouldn't be shocked if Harvey did too.

There's really no reason to assume that Harvey will outperform anyone in our existing rotation.

If you can add him, why not. He's throwing the ball harder again. He's not performed any better than our current group (which I guess is ultimately what matters) but his stuff can be better. The rosters expand in a few days. They could easily send a reliever down to accommodate his roster spot until then. They've been a bit unconventional with the position part of the roster this season so it wouldn't surprise me if they did some things different pitching-wise down the stretch. I could see them going to a 6 man rotation down the stretch or piggy-backing guys. Somehow they need to bridge the gap better to the late inning guys. We don't have the guy that can consistently pitch well deep into games.

If you can add him, why not. He's throwing the ball harder again. He's not performed any better than our current group (which I guess is ultimately what matters) but his stuff can be better. The rosters expand in a few days. They could easily send a reliever down to accommodate his roster spot until then. They've been a bit unconventional with the position part of the roster this season so it wouldn't surprise me if they did some things different pitching-wise down the stretch. I could see them going to a 6 man rotation down the stretch or piggy-backing guys. Somehow they need to bridge the gap better to the late inning guys. We don't have the guy that can consistently pitch well deep into games.

Late to the party here, but what if they see him as a hybrid long man... a piggyback of sorts for when a starter clearly doesn't have it, you bring in our pseudo pen / starter, Matt Harvey? That sort of usage would be good, because it's somebody who can pick up innings, and possibly effectively!

Late to the party here, but what if they see him as a hybrid long man... a piggyback of sorts for when a starter clearly doesn't have it, you bring in our pseudo pen / starter, Matt Harvey? That sort of usage would be good, because it's somebody who can pick up innings, and possibly effectively!

My thinking exactly. If he can eat a few innings to save a bullpen arm for when we need it, that may turn out to be significant.

Archived