Brewer Fanatic

Brewers Claim Harvey (8/24) - Have Until 12:30 to Complete Trade

• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply
100% would take Woodruff over Davies right now. Davies has shown me nothing this whole year to give me confidence. Woodruff Atleast has some upside and has pitched decent all year. Plus, he looks 10 years younger without the beard.

Zach Davies is exactly 3 days older than Brandon Woodruff. I don't see how Woodruff has upside and Davies doesn't. Plus Davies has had a lot more MLB success than Woodruff.

For the record, I like them both, and I believe both have a future in the Brewers' rotation.

Because he throws 99 and could still be figuring it out now whereas Davies had a ceiling and hit it already (plus throw in control and arbitration costs for baseball that are relevant). Think of it similar to NBA draft talk of high floor vs high ceiling. Davies is the safer choice with the higher floor based on what he's done already but he's probably more or less capped out at what he is. Woodruff due to being able to throw 99 has a chance to be more than that so a higher ceiling, but he also might never make it all so a lower floor. Or think of it as Jimmy Nelson at age 26ish when he came up vs Davies now.

Because he throws 99 and could still be figuring it out now whereas Davies had a ceiling and hit it already (plus throw in control and arbitration costs for baseball that are relevant). Think of it similar to NBA draft talk of high floor vs high ceiling. Davies is the safer choice with the higher floor based on what he's done already but he's probably more or less capped out at what he is. Woodruff due to being able to throw 99 has a chance to be more than that so a higher ceiling, but he also might never make it all so a lower floor. Or think of it as Jimmy Nelson at age 26ish when he came up vs Davies now.

I don't disagree with any of this. I wholeheartedly agree that Woodruff has more upside than Davies. His stuff is absolutely filthy. ThisIsMyCrew was indicating, at least to me, that Woodruff has upside while Davies doesn't. That's what I think is categorically incorrect. If The 2017 version of Davies is his ceiling, I'd take that as the #3 in my rotation any day. But it's important to remember that Davies is only 25 as well, and hasn't even reached his theoretical peak yet. In my mind, consistency can mean upside as well.

Davies is easily written off by Brewer fans and I get it, but it is very foolish to do. He may be a huge August/September addition if he’s right.

Nelson

Anderson

Davies

Chacin

Peralta

Burnes

Woodruff

Guerra

Thompson

That’s a lot of arms to find five worthy in 2019.

"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

Davies is easily written off by Brewer fans and I get it, but it is very foolish to do. He may be a huge August/September addition if he’s right.

Nelson

Anderson

Davies

Chacin

Peralta

Burnes

Woodruff

Guerra

Thompson

I don't want to start contention, but part of me in the back of my mind wonders if Josh Hader may be stretched out as a starter at some point as well. If they are following the "Chris Sale Schedule", this would be the offseason to do it. Love having him in the pen, but the idea of having a young, dominant lefty in he rotation for the next several years is certainly intriguing.

Nelson

Anderson

Davies

Chacin

Peralta

Burnes

Woodruff

Guerra

Thompson

I don't want to start contention, but part of me in the back of my mind wonders if Josh Hader may be stretched out as a starter at some point as well. If they are following the "Chris Sale Schedule", this would be the offseason to do it. Love having him in the pen, but the idea of having a young, dominant lefty in he rotation for the next several years is certainly intriguing.

Yeah, I didn’t even mention him because I want him in the rotation but don’t want to even get my hopes up for it. But yes, agreed with your post.

"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

Nelson

Anderson

Davies

Chacin

Peralta

Burnes

Woodruff

Guerra

Thompson

Honest question, who the flip is Thompson?

I don't disagree with any of this. I wholeheartedly agree that Woodruff has more upside than Davies. His stuff is absolutely filthy. ThisIsMyCrew was indicating, at least to me, that Woodruff has upside while Davies doesn't. That's what I think is categorically incorrect. If The 2017 version of Davies is his ceiling, I'd take that as the #3 in my rotation any day. But it's important to remember that Davies is only 25 as well, and hasn't even reached his theoretical peak yet. In my mind, consistency can mean upside as well.

I was more or less just looking at this year alone. Woodruff has been healthy, Davies not so much. I didn’t clarify well. I honestly didn’t realize they were the same age as it feels Davies has been with us for 5 years already. But good call out on that.

Nelson

Anderson

Davies

Chacin

Peralta

Burnes

Woodruff

Guerra

Thompson

Honest question, who the flip is Thompson?

Jake Thompson. He probably isn’t too serious of a candidate but he has a high ceiling and was a 2nd round pick and is 25 I believe.

Bob Nightengale tweeted that "rival execs" think Brewers make most sense to claim Harvey. Have until Friday before gametime to find out if deal worked out. I'd take him for cash considerations or total minor league roster filler.

Who gets removed from the rotation if Harvey is acquired? Not Chacin or Anderson. Hard to remove Peralta after yesterday’s 7 shutout innings. Miley has done well enough to make another few starts. Is it Guerra, who has a mix of bad performance and bad luck recently?

It's Guerra or Peralta. They've both been shaky for awhile now and Peralta I'm sure is coming up in dangerous inning territory. Plus you have Davies at some point so both guys could be out eventually if this were to happen.

Pointing out the obvious, being the claiming team is just the first step unless the Reds just let him go, which after hanging onto him at the previous deadline seems unlikely. Claiming Harvey and successfully working out a trade are totally different steps. Hard to guess the likelihood of the latter, but demoting Davies makes me wonder if/what any potentially corresponding move will be (given that Davies was on the DL).

Pointing out the obvious, being the claiming team is just the first step unless the Reds just let him go, which after hanging onto him at the previous deadline seems unlikely. Claiming Harvey and successfully working out a trade are totally different steps. Hard to guess the likelihood of the latter, but demoting Davies makes me wonder if/what any potentially corresponding move will be (given that Davies was on the DL).

Yes, if they actually did claim Harvey then they would still need to work out a trade agreement before acquiring him. If that were to happen it would be announced today.

Not just “at Night” anymore.

Archived