Brewer Fanatic

Brewers Claim Harvey (8/24) - Have Until 12:30 to Complete Trade

Harvey has been much better in CIN than in NYM. That's saying something, considering the size of the stadiums.

1. Do you buy his resurgence?

2. What type of prospect(s) would it take to get him?

For my money,

1. Yes

2. Ponce or Diplan

• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 3 weeks later...
Trading for him and Wheeler would be somewhat funny considering how many wanted deGrom and Thor.
"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

Harvey would be a depressing get for the crew. I’d rather see Burnes start.
"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

Harvey has been much better in CIN than in NYM. That's saying something, considering the size of the stadiums.

1. Do you buy his resurgence?

2. What type of prospect(s) would it take to get him?

For my money,

1. Yes

2. Ponce or Diplan

I wouldn't want Matt Harvey unless, they took a lotto tix. This guy is not good enough for the risk he poses to clubhouse chemistry.

I don't really understand the reports of interest in Harvey, unless Stearns really does look into *every* possibility. Even with his "resurgence" with the Reds, he only has 3 quality starts in 13 games. If we could stash him in the minors for depth or convert him to a relief role, maybe he'd be useful, but you know he's just going to throw a fit if we did either of those things. Obviously he's a guy with a ton of talent and maybe the staff sees something they think they can fix, but he seems more like a Spring Training invite type of player at this point than someone you want to mess with going into a playoff push, especially with the chemistry concerns. No thanks.

Not sure I'd give them much of anything considering the Reds got Harvey for Mesoraco, a 30 year old with an expiring contract (that they're paying half on), and we seem to be the only team involved. A starter who might get you through 5 innings is just another body. Yes, we could use another one of those, but the value is low.

NL Ranks:

Bullpen's ERA = 3rd

Starter's ERA = 5th

Offense - runs per game = 11th

More bats please.

I doubt Stearns is sitting in his office going, “Okay we are getting a bat or a starter.”

He would get both if the prices were right. If the offensive improvements aren’t worth the prices it won’t happen. He would love to add offense just as much as all of us.

Not sure I'd give them much of anything considering the Reds got Harvey for Mesoraco, a 30 year old with an expiring contract (that they're paying half on), and we seem to be the only team involved. A starter who might get you through 5 innings is just another body. Yes, we could use another one of those, but the value is low.

I’m with you most of the way on this, but the Brewers are definitely not the only team involved.

Harvey’s only interesting if the price is low, and then I’d wish we’d gotten someone who covered more innings.

We all have to remember that our rotation depth was awful last September, leading us to start relievers in games. It's starting to head that way with injuries popping up (Suter-out, Guerra-DL recently, Nelson-probably not back, Davies-probably not back, Peralta-innings limit probably, Burnes-reliever) and our backups at AAA are largely unproven. Harvey would be a low risk, high reward find. If not him, a rental with experience...

I think they are much better equipped to handle rotation injuries this season (or bouncing a guy out of the rotation for poor performance). They can talk about Burnes being used strictly as a reliever, but that can easily be abandoned if the need was there. With Jeffresss, Hader, Knebel, Soria, Williams, Albers, etc...Burnes is really just a luxury for the pen and not an absolute necessity. If Woodruff could start key games down the stretch in 2017, I don't see any reason why he couldn't do it this year.

A Harvey acquisition just seems like a waste of resources IMO.

The Brewers want a strong bullpen. It’s painfully obvious by the way they used Hader, making Burnes start his MLB career as a reliever, and now spending assets for a good reliever rental.

I’d say the chances of Burnes going to the rotation are close to zero. They will do everything in there power to keep him in the pen. That’s why they want to get a starter in my opinion. Preserve solid rotation depth that won’t require an filling into their pen guys. And of course finding another stable trustworthy option. Believe it or not Burnes is unproven and sticking him in the rotation is quite risky.

Right now we are trotting our Miley and Peralta. One guy won’t last to the end of the season and the other is pretty risky to count on.

The guy on Twitter that broke the moose trade says brewers believe they are in the lead for Harvey

Sigh. I don’t want to be in the lead for Harvey. He just doesn’t move the needle for me. Although with DJ you never know what he can get out of a guy with ‘stuff’.

I'm not interested either. I normally think clubhouse chemistry and leadership are cliches, but this team is obviously a very high-functioning, healthy working environment and I don't want that clown around. He's not really pitching any better than an average 5 anyway.

Well just read he was hitting 98 mph yesterday, clubhouse issues aside it seems like a low cost gamble that could really payoff. I am sure the reds would be happy just getting a decent prospect for a guy they just picked up. He is going to be a free agent so should be motivated. I don't know, depending on what they give up I think I could come around to liking it.

Harvey is probably the best rental still on the market. The guys with control come with a premium. Now that the pen has been bolstered, they need 5-6 quality innings. Harvey is capable of that. Let's them limit innings for Peralta too..

He’s not even pitching well lately. Why go this route?

Archived