Brewer Fanatic

Innings Limits

Jopal78

With Junior Guerra there probably isn't an innings limit given his age, but there will definitely be some pitching decisions to be made as some young arms start getting extended beyond the number of innings thrown last year. This could also suggest the need to add arms from outside the organization.

Freddy Peralta 2017 IP: 120 2018 IP: 93

Taylor Williams 2017 IP: 52 2018 IP: 36

Josh Hader 2017 IP: 100 2018 IP: 47

Additionally, some pitchers may might wear down as they pitch beyond their career highs in innings:

Jeremy Jeffress career high 68, currently 44

Dan Jennings career high 62, currently 45

We discussed this in other threads, but with the relief pitchers appearances are probably more relevant than innings pitched. Three outings of 2 innings each is better than 6 outings of 1 inning each, as a quick example.

But yes, it is a concern for me- especially Peralta. The last two times the Brewers made the playoffs they had at least one top pitcher who was out of gas in October, and I don't want to see that again. It's a fine line, because you have to get there first.

That said, they don't necessarily need someone from outside the organization as you said. Davies may be back, Woodruff is still around for now, and a few guys capable of a spot start. For the pen, there's even more options. But hey, if the deal is right no problem trading for an arm.

Not that I have overly optimistic expectations for the guy, but let's see what Miley potentially can provide - I believe he's starting one of the upcoming Pirate doubleheader games, and if he can give the Brewers 5-10 starts between now and September, he could be a good bridge guy to either spell Peralta or replace Suter.

One thing the Brewers currently have even despite injuries to Nelson and Davies are a pile of decent starting pitcher options. I'd love to see Albers make it back healthy and potentially acquiring another late inning pen arm to keep them as fresh as possible. Of course, if a quality starter can be had for a palatable price, go get 'em...but IMO it would need to be a no-doubt upgrade to justify making that move instead of continuing to work with available in-house options.

Archived