Brewer Fanatic

Garrett Richards

Community Moderator

The Angels aren’t going to make the playoffs this season. Oft-injured starting pitcher Garrett Richards is going to be a free agent after the season. He is currently back in the Angels rotation following a recent DL stint.

Richards is seemingly an enormous injury risk, but when healthy he is a true top-of-the-rotation pitcher (in my opinion). With the news that Jimmy Nelson won’t likely be back until September (if at all), I think Garrett Richards could make sense as a Brewers trade target that would slot into the top of the rotation for the stretch run and playoffs. Let’s put it this way, if the Brewers end up in the Wild Card playoff game would Garrett Richards be a better starting option than any pitchers currently in the Brewers rotation?

I don’t know what it would take to acquire Richards, but I imagine his injury history will cool off his trade value some.

Not just “at Night” anymore.

Community Moderator
Wouldn't he be a depth add?

No, he would be closer to a high risk, high reward top of the rotation starter. I think Garrett Richards is actually the exact opposite of an innings eating depth rotation piece. He has the ability to dominate at times, but has unfortunately had injuries rob him of much of the past two seasons (2016 & 2017) during his prime.

Not just “at Night” anymore.

Verified Member

I have a feeling he's going to be overpriced. Angels are going to act like he's the guy who had an ace season in 2014 rather than the guy who is coming off yet another injury and has a 3.94 FIP this year.

Would love to have him though, obviously.

This is a guy I think we should target. A bit of a risk but this guy could be a great starter for us down the stretch. I'd think we could package Santana or Phillips, Supak and a lottery ticket. He's been hurt and is a rental so he should not cost too much.

Man, that Angel offense is just brutal after Trout and Ohtani. Calhoun 480 OPS (yes that's his OPS) is making Arcia look like an all star. Looks like they could use an OF.

Archived