Brewer Fanatic

2018 Brewers All Stars - Franchise Record 5: Hader, Cain, Yelich, Aguilar, Jeffress

Yea if you're objective there's no way Goldy and Votto should be in over Jesus. I know they're usually great consistent players but both in generally down years for their standards this year. And as said Goldy was truly awful for the first two months.

Votto finished second in the MVP race last year and Goldy finished third. Reputation gets you much farther, I guess.

https://www.mlb.com/news/marlins-giancarlo-stanton-wins-nl-mvp-award/c-262051396

Goldschmidt's stats stand up just fine, I'm not sure how anyone can say he doesn't belong based on past and current performance.

With Aguilar and Segura both leading the vote I take that as a very good sign Brewers fans are voting often. I know I have been, and Segura has been my AL vote.

"Counsell is stupid, Hader not used right, Bradley shouldn't have been in the lineup...Brewers win!!" - FVBrewerFan - 6/3/21

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Update - Aguilar and Segura in the lead. I responded by voting about 100 more times for Aguilar. Keep it rolling!

Need to pair up with an AL message board and agree to vote their guy if they vote Aguilar. Edit: I guess the Brewers already did this with the Twins.

If I am an agent, I am renting an Indian call center for two days and having their staff do nothing but enter all star votes. Can't cost that much.

Aguilar is going to win this. The funny thing is I wonder how many pile-on votes Segura is getting from Brewers fans who are there to get Aguilar in. I know that's what I did.

Me too.

Me three.

Yea if you're objective there's no way Goldy and Votto should be in over Jesus. I know they're usually great consistent players but both in generally down years for their standards this year. And as said Goldy was truly awful for the first two months.

Votto finished second in the MVP race last year and Goldy finished third. Reputation gets you much farther, I guess.

https://www.mlb.com/news/marlins-giancarlo-stanton-wins-nl-mvp-award/c-262051396

Fair point. As someone once said, in regards to fan voting one year, it's called the All-Star game, not the All-First-Half-of-the-Season game.

I'm still voting for Aguilar, though.

Aguilar is going to win this. The funny thing is I wonder how many pile-on votes Segura is getting from Brewers fans who are there to get Aguilar in. I know that's what I did.

Me too.

Yep lol.

Eh, 1b is loaded in the NL. Other guys have more WAR and pa's and much better defense and a longer track record. It's all relative. Aguilar can't play LF and Yelich is one of the best outfielders in the NL. That's why he's in and that's as it should be.

Personally I'd rather everyone on the Brewers take the weekend off and get some rest, especially with all the games they've played lately. And I think Turner is a great candidate honestly.

Which weekend do you want them to take off?

Community Moderator
Doolittle to DL, time to lobby for Jeffress!!

Yeah, have to assume Jeffress is among the next group of bullpen arms in line to get a spot. I wonder if they will announce the replacement for Doolittle today? Brewers could potentially start the day with three all-stars and finish it with five all-stars.

Not just “at Night” anymore.

Rare all your deserving guys make it on a team this good and so many candidates. Especially when outside of Cain and Hader no one was really a lock to make it.

I was a bit surprised seeing Yelich make it and originally didn’t think he deserved a nod, but upon inspection Fangraphs has him listed as the #5 OFer in the NL. So definitely a deserving guy.

Then again they have Schwarber as a positive value defendener....hmmm.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor
Eh, 1b is loaded in the NL. Other guys have more WAR and pa's and much better defense and a longer track record. It's all relative. Aguilar can't play LF and Yelich is one of the best outfielders in the NL. That's why he's in and that's as it should be.

Personally I'd rather everyone on the Brewers take the weekend off and get some rest, especially with all the games they've played lately. And I think Turner is a great candidate honestly.

I don't see any other reason for this post other than to trigger fans who are excited to see the team recognized for the great first half they are putting up. Boo!

Which weekend do you want them to take off?

I misspoke obviously. It's not a weekend in baseball, although it is the only "weekend" many of them actually get in the regular season unless they're hurt.

I think a few days with no activity is helpful for players and I'd be interested in seeing stats about performance in subsequent weeks. I have noticed that a lot of the players who just missed the game play better than the all stars but that's anecdotal.

I don't see any other reason for this post other than to trigger fans who are excited to see the team recognized for the great first half they are putting up. Boo!

The reason for the post is that all I care about is wins and I think the time off helps with that. They get the recognition anyway whether they participate or not. I think a few days without any travel or playing is good for players.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor

The reason for the post is that all I care about is wins and I think the time off helps with that. They get the recognition anyway whether they participate or not. I think a few days without any travel or playing is good for players.

I get that, and it does make some sense. This is a forum for Brewer fans, though. The majority of which feel that Jesus Aguilar deserves a spot on the All Star team. Throwing in a line about how Trea Turner deserves a spot over Aguilar is a pretty blatant attempt to poke the bear.

[sarcasm]Taking 4-5 days off is just a disaster for relief pitchers, no way they can be trusted to pitch after rust like that.[/sarcasm] So hopefully Jeffress makes it and gets an inning.

Seriously though, he better get in since he's legit been the best reliever in the NL this year.

Count me in

I did too, not just because Segura is a former Brewer, but he's having a heck of a year and deserves it. Have to think Aguilar is getting some votes from Seattle fans as well, with his all his competition being from big market teams. Sort of small market fans looking out for each other.

It's great that we're all excited about a 1st place team and winning and post season dreams. But these players are human beings, it's special and, for most players, rare to be named an All Star and spend time among your peers in a celebration of baseball. They deserve to have fun. And I don't mean just show up for the festivities and never get in the game. They play a couple innings, they're not all out there grinding 9 innings of intense competition.

"Counsell is stupid, Hader not used right, Bradley shouldn't have been in the lineup...Brewers win!!" - FVBrewerFan - 6/3/21

I get that, and it does make some sense. This is a forum for Brewer fans, though. The majority of which feel that Jesus Aguilar deserves a spot on the All Star team. Throwing in a line about how Trea Turner deserves a spot over Aguilar is a pretty blatant attempt to poke the bear.

I didn't actually say that but he's an excellent candidate. It's all about supply and demand. What Turner is doing at SS is every bit as special as what Aguilar is doing at 1b, just like Cain is so valuable. Unfortunately great value on defense and base-running is still not recognized as often as it should be. You can't go wrong with either one of them but they're neck and neck in value as far as I'm concerned. I'd be totally cool with Aguilar missing the cut and playing with a chip on his shoulder for a couple more months.

There's no question Segura will win the AL spot due to Brewers fans voting for Aguilar, but good for him because he deserves it anyhow.

Jesus & Segura still in the lead.

1B @JAguilarMKE of the @Brewers and SS @Jeansegura02 of the @Mariners continue to lead the 2018 @CampingWorld All-Star #FinalVote. Only 5 hours left to vote! Vote now at https://atmlb.com/2sI3IUj

Archived