Brewer Fanatic

2018 Brewers All Stars - Franchise Record 5: Hader, Cain, Yelich, Aguilar, Jeffress

Aguilar, Belt, Carpenter, Muncy and Trea Turner in the NL final vote. Gotta get Jesus in there.

Yikes, a bunch of big markets. I’d love to be proven wrong (will do my part), but I predict 3rd place finish.

I know everyone wants Aguilar to make it, but jeez why act like the other options are all trash? Personally it should be Muncy or Aguilar just because I feel the AS game is more about featuring offensive talent and not defense. That’s probably a wrong way to look at it, but for reserves that’s what I like to see. That being said most of these guys have higher WARs than Aguilar. ABs all equal most are likely comparable.

I don’t know much about the others, but Aguilar has been so huge for the Brewers and had so many big moments. That with the stats should have gotten him there. Sucks if it doesn’t.

Belt was having a really good season until he got hurt in early June, hasn't been quite the same since his return but still has a .890 OPS

Trea Turner is legit, numbers not as big but he's a SS and steals are a big part of his game. .785 OPS.

Matt Carpenter I first thought meh batting .256, but that .865 OPS is nothing to sneeze at.

So yeah these guys are all deserving. I think it's a race between Aguilar and Muncy too but who knows which fan base will be motivated most.

"Counsell is stupid, Hader not used right, Bradley shouldn't have been in the lineup...Brewers win!!" - FVBrewerFan - 6/3/21

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Belt was having a really good season until he got hurt in early June, hasn't been quite the same since his return but still has a .890 OPS

Trea Turner is legit, numbers not as big but he's a SS and steals are a big part of his game. .785 OPS.

Matt Carpenter I first thought meh batting .256, but that .865 OPS is nothing to sneeze at.

So yeah these guys are all deserving. I think it's a race between Aguilar and Muncy too but who knows which fan base will be motivated most.

Don't forget the home field angle with Trea Turner & the position flexibility he would bring if voted in...

I think Jeffress was hurt by 2 teams lone representative being a relief pitcher. Vazquez arguably deserved it, but hand didn't. He's good, but he wouldn't be an allstar if he played for the cubs or dodgers or brewers or any team with multiple selections. Jansen and Hader were fairly obviously ahead of Jeffress, Dolittle was a bit more questionable.

Aguilar I don't get to be honest. I'm a bit surprised Yelich got in over him on the player vote...I personally don't think Yelich should be an allstar. Here's hoping Aguilar gets voted up, I read something where LA beat writers think Muncy is head and shoulders above the other 4...yeah he might not even be the 2nd best player on that list...

Here is the link for the Final Fan Vote. It's very easy to cast your vote and even easier to re-vote...

https://www.mlb.com/all-star/final-vote

How many times do they let you vote? I've been going for 10 minutes and they haven't stopped me yet and said I've reached the max.

In past years 25 per day, but I’m way over 25 and it hasn’t stopped me.

I guess leading the league in HR, SLG and OPS is not good enough for the all star team. Makes sense

It’s possible that voters didn’t know about Aguilar’s stats because he doesn’t have the plate appearances to qualify for the batting average, SLG, or OPS titles - which makes it more incredible that he leads the league in home runs and is fourth in MLB in RBIs.

What is worse? At least Ags will have a chance? Last chance vote. Jeffress has no chance unless sum NL pitcher sits out. The man has been the best NL relief pitcher. All year. Except maybe Hader.
T-rain.

People and media say year after year that fans shouldn't pick All Star position starters (which I disagree with), yet the managers and players vote in Joey Votto from the last place Reds? Evidence that bias and favoritism is human and not limited to fans.

I think I read earlier this morning that the players voted on the pitchers and relievers back in mid-June so this might be why Votto got voted in instead.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor
Do they give updated standings for this anytime before it ends Wednesday?

I believe they do if memory serves correctly.

"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

Yea if you're objective there's no way Goldy and Votto should be in over Jesus. I know they're usually great consistent players but both in generally down years for their standards this year. And as said Goldy was truly awful for the first two months.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor
I doubt many of the MLB guys bother looking at stats before they vote.
"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

Chris Archer certainly does and believes others should as well:

User in-game thread post in 1st inning of 3rd game of the 2022 season: "This team stinks"

Chris Archer certainly does and believes others should as well:

Verlanders response is exactly what some are saying:

Also, because we vote waaay too early. Could easily punch in our votes on an iPad a couple days before instead of the old school envelope weeks before.
"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

People and media say year after year that fans shouldn't pick All Star position starters (which I disagree with), yet the managers and players vote in Joey Votto from the last place Reds? Evidence that bias and favoritism is human and not limited to fans.

I think I read earlier this morning that the players voted on the pitchers and relievers back in mid-June so this might be why Votto got voted in instead.

Yep. They voted sometime around the middle of June, when Aguilar was sitting right around a .900 OPS.

From June 19th to July 9th, he's put up a .357/.413/.886 (!!!)/1.298 line with 11 HRs.

So, yeah, he's been pretty big since the players voted :)

"I wasted so much time in my life hating Juventus or A.C. Milan that I should have spent hating the Cardinals." ~kalle8

Eh, 1b is loaded in the NL. Other guys have more WAR and pa's and much better defense and a longer track record. It's all relative. Aguilar can't play LF and Yelich is one of the best outfielders in the NL. That's why he's in and that's as it should be.

Personally I'd rather everyone on the Brewers take the weekend off and get some rest, especially with all the games they've played lately. And I think Turner is a great candidate honestly.

Yea if you're objective there's no way Goldy and Votto should be in over Jesus. I know they're usually great consistent players but both in generally down years for their standards this year. And as said Goldy was truly awful for the first two months.

Votto finished second in the MVP race last year and Goldy finished third. Reputation gets you much farther, I guess.

https://www.mlb.com/news/marlins-giancarlo-stanton-wins-nl-mvp-award/c-262051396

Archived