Brewer Fanatic

Eligible for Minor League Free Agency - Fall 2018

Brewer Fanatic Staff

Here's a list of the Brewers' players eligible for minor league free agency this fall.

Alphabetical within current level.

COLORADO SPRINGS:

RHP Alec Asher (Signed minor league deal with Colorado 1/26, released 3/14)

C Jett Bandy (Signed minor league deal with Texas 11/7)

C Christian Bethancourt (Signed to play in Korea 12/12)

IF Andres Blanco (Signed minor league deal including big league camp invite with Atlanta 12/7)

UT Emilio Bonifacio (Signed minor league deal including big league camp invite with Tampa Bay 1/29

RHP Michael Brady

RHP Hiram Burgos (Released on 10/2, joining the Brewers' coaching ranks)

OF Clint Coulter

RHP Erik Davis

RHP Tim Dillard (Signed minor league deal including big league camp invite with Texas 12/17)

RHP Paolo Espino (Signed minor league deal with Washington 1/15)

UT Nick Franklin (Signed minor league deal including big league camp invite with Pittsburgh 2/7)

IF Jake Hager (Re-signed by Brewers to a minor league deal with a big league camp invite on 10/29)

RHP Ariel Hernandez (Signed minor league deal including big league camp invite with Texas 12/19)

C Dustin Houle (Signed minor league deal with New York Mets 1/3)

OF Rymer Liriano (Signed minor league deal including big league camp invite with New York Mets 1/3)

IF Dylan Moore (Signed major league deal with Seattle 11/10)

IF Shane Opitz

LHP Nick Ramirez (Signed minor league deal with Detroit 12/18)

1B/OF Richie Shaffer

OF Tyrone Taylor (Added to Milwaukee's 40-man roster on 10/29)

RHP Jake Thompson (Signed to play in Korea 12/12)

LHP Mike Zagurski (Signed minor league deal with Chicago Cubs 12/19)

BILOXI:

RHP Jeff Ames (Signed minor league deal with Minnesota 1/15)

C Tyler Heineman (Signed minor league deal with Arizona 11/14)

IF Gabriel Noriega

RHP Jim Henderson (tucked on the 60-day DL; Brewers' effectively able to add coaching staff at Helena, where Henderson oversees the bullpen)

C Natanael Mejia (on the DL, but actually a coach on the co-op Brewers/Indians DSL squad)

CAROLINA:

RHP Victor Diaz

WISCONSIN:

IF Darren Seferina

IF Fidel Pena (on the 60-day DL, but in actuality, on the unofficial coaching staff)

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
Here's a list of the Brewers' players eligible for minor league free agency this fall.

Separately, the list of players within Brewers' control this fall who need to be considered for Rule 5 protection can be found here.

Alphabetical within current level.

COLORADO SPRINGS:

RHP Alec Asher

C Jett Bandy

C Christian Bethancourt

IF Andres Blanco

UT Emilio Bonifacio

RHP Michael Brady

RHP Hiram Burgos

OF Clint Coulter

RHP Erik Davis

RHP Tim Dillard

RHP Paolo Espino

UT Nick Franklin

IF Jake Hager

RHP Ariel Hernandez

C Dustin Houle

OF Rymer Liriano

IF Dylan Moore (initially thought Moore's years of eligibility from ATL would be inherited by Milwaukee, but apparently not)

IF Shane Opitz

LHP Nick Ramirez

1B/OF Richie Shaffer

OF Tyrone Taylor

RHP Jake Thompson

LHP Mike Zagurski

BILOXI:

RHP Jeff Ames

C Tyler Heineman

IF Gabriel Noriega

RHP Jim Henderson (tucked on the 60-day DL; Brewers' effectively able to add coaching staff at Helena, where Henderson oversees the bullpen)

C Natanael Mejia (on the DL, but actually a coach on the co-op Brewers/Indians DSL squad)

CAROLINA:

RHP Victor Diaz

WISCONSIN:

IF Darren Seferina

IF Fidel Pena (on the 60-day DL, but in actuality, on the unofficial coaching staff)

Here are the guys I'd like to see back:

RHP Alec Asher - He was solid as a swing guy, and provides decent depth

C Christian Bethancourt - Broke out at the plate this year, and is a good defender

UT Emilio Bonifacio - This guy was once a very useful MLB utility guy. Can't hurt to take a deeper look next year.

OF Clint Coulter - Hit pretty well in his AAA cup 'o coffee. Plus as a former 1st rounder, I want to see him succeed.

RHP Tim Dillard - At least keep him in the organization somehow. If he wants to pitch, let him pitch.

IF Jake Hager - Showed potential as a future MLB utility infielder

RHP Ariel Hernandez - Don't want to give up on that arm

C Dustin Houle - Can never have enough catching depth

OF Rymer Liriano - Talent is there, and surprisingly still young-ish

IF Dylan Moore - Another potential MLB utility infielder

LHP Nick Ramirez - Maybe this is the year Brooks Kieschnick, Ver. II gets a shot?

OF Tyrone Taylor - I would bet he gets added to the 40 man following the season

RHP Jake Thompson - Another power arm with a high round pedigree. If they can teach him control, he could be a solid pen addition.

RHP Jeff Ames - Ditto to the Thompson write-up

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
Nick Ramirez surely will get a look in Sept. I’d start DH’ing him more as well to get his bat back to speed

I felt the same. If he hasn't gotten a shot yet I don't see how he'll ever get one with Milwaukee. I'd love to keep him around but I don't know why he would re-sign here again.

I agree. He could go elsewhere and get a shot at the big leagues that Milwaukee does not seen to want do. Heck, Mike Zagurski got a shot last year and we saw what he has.

Nick Ramirez surely will get a look in Sept. I’d start DH’ing him more as well to get his bat back to speed

I felt the same. If he hasn't gotten a shot yet I don't see how he'll ever get one with Milwaukee. I'd love to keep him around but I don't know why he would re-sign here again.

I agree. He could go elsewhere and get a shot at the big leagues that Milwaukee does not seen to want do. Heck, Mike Zagurski got a shot last year and we saw what he has.

At AAA, Ramirez walked more than he struck out. Zagurski struck out 35% of batters. Zagurski getting his shot isn't really an indication that the Brewers were denying Ramirez an opportunity he earned and no one is signing Ramirez with the intent of him being MLB depth or a MLB camp option at this point. He may be worth a roster spot to see if he does better a 2nd time around.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
Brewer Fanatic Staff

Rymer Liriano (big league camp invite) and Dustin Houle sign minor league deals with the Mets. Initial post in this thread updated.

Good luck to each, especially Dustin, a Brewer since 2011 as a 17-year-old draft pick from north of the border.

Archived