Brewer Fanatic

Eligible for the Rule 5 Draft - Fall 2018

I'm betting someone snags Olczak. At worst, they give him a long look in spring training. A non-playoff team can afford to let him take some lumps.

I can't fathom the Crew not protecting him. Let Cedeno/Jennings go to free up the spot, but this was just poor roster management.

Does it still qualify as poor roster management now that Olczak wasn't selected or is it possible Stearns & company just had the market accurately gauged all along?

I think it was an unnecessary risk that thankfully didn't come back to bite the Crew.

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Brewer Fanatic Contributor
I think it was an unnecessary risk that thankfully didn't come back to bite the Crew.

But maybe it still will. Maybe he won't ever amount to anything and he will waste a roster spot.

This will be an annual problem for the Brewers for quite a while. We have a lot of C+ types that we will risk exposing in the draft because we don't have enough 40 man spots.

I'm sure we will lose some ok players at times, but most of the time Rule 5 players don't amount to much.

Wouldn’t call it unnecessary risk at all. Those guys up stairs are way more informed than any of us arm chair GMs. If DS though he was worthy of a 40 man spot & needed to be protected.... he would have been. Fact that no team took a flier on him goes to show, that no team thought he was ready and worthy of spot at this point. Don’t handstring yourself with 40 man roster if you don’t need to. Olczak could be a good RP but right now he isn’t knocking on enough or has starred enough to need that spot

Proud member since 2003 (geez ha I was 14 then)

FORMERLY BrewCrewWS2008 and YoungGeezy don't even remember other names used

Wouldn’t call it unnecessary risk at all. Those guys up stairs are way more informed than any of us arm chair GMs. If DS though he was worthy of a 40 man spot & needed to be protected.... he would have been. Fact that no team took a flier on him goes to show, that no team thought he was ready and worthy of spot at this point. Don’t handstring yourself with 40 man roster if you don’t need to. Olczak could be a good RP but right now he isn’t knocking on enough or has starred enough to need that spot

This is why I like Tyrone Taylor so much. The front office seems to value his talents a little more than this board does.

Archived