Brewer Fanatic

2018 Trade Deadline Prediction Thread

The problem is his price won’t be change of scenery, it will be TOR level and he isn’t that sort of player.

Do we really know that, though? His price will likely be lower now that it hypothetically was before the season. Either the price will be affordable in a team's eyes, or TB won't find a buyer. I don't see this as the time Stearns suddenly decides to throw caution to the wind.

I think we do. He is a 29 year old with a live arm who is signed pending team options through 2021. That profile is never cheap. The Rays turned down some big packages prior to 2018. What makes anyone think we can get him for a meaningful discount now?

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

No, that's true but my point is the price is probably going to be high.

Also, I know every team has their own individual rankings but the ones public to us are at least a pretty good starting point to get close, I think. I wouldn't imagine any of them have Keston Hiura outside of their top 3 and Cameron Roegner in their top 5.

I am going to predict that the Brewers will ship out some players with an eye toward the 40 man roster this December and Rule 5 considerations. To that end, Machado and Britton, both as rentals, may work both ways if we give Baltimore volume and we address the logjam for the 40 man.

I could see guys like Woodruff, Santana, Davies or Suter, Ray or Stokes, et al as part of outbound packages.

The guys who are not 40 man problems, I'd rather keep. For example, the Brewers have done a great job landing impressive college pitchers with raw ability who are soaring through the system, when you look at Woodruff, Burnes, and Zack Brown being the last. As part of that mix, Woodruff makes sense to move whereas Brown makes sense to keep.

Stokes has consistently been better than Ray, but both may have some value.

Since we have suddenly been more strategic (and successful) with the draft, we've got more nice premium prospects as the "next wave." Hiura, Lutz, Turang, Jean Carmona, perhaps Gray and Biello, Feliciano, Peyton Henry, Carlos Rodriguez, Je'Von Ward, Larry Ernesto et al.

Even after we are done making deals, I think we will still have a solid system that will provide juice to a surging major league team that should be here for the long haul. The problem with our last window (say it lasted a decade, e.g., 2005-2014), we hardly ever added some fresh juice to the roster. The bad drafting and poor management of the draft was the culprit. I do not think that's happening for the next window.

You go nowhere when you force the front 4-5 guys to be the entire offense most of the time - the Brewers simply must add hitting - simply must.

Get Machado if you can, Mr Stearns, and if you can't, get Dozier the next day - while you're at it, get them both.

I think the brewers need a bat to add into this bottom part of the lineup. The brewers manager must also figure a way to better figure out the Pen

Did you think this after last night when we scored a bunch of runs and the pen shut down the game? Or is this just a knee-jerk reaction because today didn't go well...

Brewer Fanatic Contributor
I don't know why the Brewers(or anyone for that matter) aren't going hard after Blake Snell?? He's be a perfect fit in the Crew's rotation.

Likely because he is 25, has multiple years of control and is a stud. Those are the types of guys you build around, not trade off. I highly doubt that he is available, even for a king's ransom.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor
I think the brewers need a bat to add into this bottom part of the lineup. The brewers manager must also figure a way to better figure out the Pen

Did you think this after last night when we scored a bunch of runs and the pen shut down the game? Or is this just a knee-jerk reaction because today didn't go well...

LOL +1

Reading some of the comments last night, you'd think the Brewers just lost Game 7 of the NLCS to the Cubs because of a Kyle Schwarber walk-off HR. But no, it was the rubber match of a three-game series against the Marlins. In July. A few grips are needed.

You go nowhere when you force the front 4-5 guys to be the entire offense most of the time - the Brewers simply must add hitting - simply must.

Get Machado if you can, Mr Stearns, and if you can't, get Dozier the next day - while you're at it, get them both.

Yeah, once we got past Aguilar in the lineup last night, it was like going into the deep, dark abyss. Just one big black hole in our lineup, and I had zero confidence that any of them were going to come through with a hit. If Manny is a longshot (or if the asking price is just too much), let's move onto some of the other middle infield targets - and try to get two of them. If we can get Whit from the Royals and Escobar from the Twins, I think I'd be very happy with that haul. Although, Merrifield really only makes sense if you plan to move Hiura for a TOR arm - which I still think is a big need as well before the deadline (just not sure if there's really one out there that's available?).

Yeah, once we got past Aguilar in the lineup last night, it was like going into the deep, dark abyss. Just one big black hole in our lineup, and I had zero confidence that any of them were going to come through with a hit. If Manny is a longshot (or if the asking price is just too much), let's move onto some of the other middle infield targets - and try to get two of them. If we can get Whit from the Royals and Escobar from the Twins, I think I'd be very happy with that haul. Although, Merrifield really only makes sense if you plan to move Hiura for a TOR arm - which I still think is a big need as well before the deadline (just not sure if there's really one out there that's available?).

LOL +1

Reading some of the comments last night, you'd think the Brewers just lost Game 7 of the NLCS to the Cubs because of a Kyle Schwarber walk-off HR. But no, it was the rubber match of a three-game series against the Marlins. In July. A few grips are needed.

I agree the over reactions last night were something, but that doesn't invalidate the point that this team needs another bat.

but it's not like every guy suddenly forgot every piece of advice he gave

I don't agree with the pen usage part but yeah, I thought they needed another bat long before last night.

I agree the over reactions last night were something, but that doesn't invalidate the point that this team needs another bat.

Agree 100%. There are certainly plenty of guys in-house that need to step up, but an outside bat could/would do wonders I think.

They have to lengthen the lineup somehow. I think maybe Nottingham can do that some at the catcher spot but they need to give him a bunch of starts to prove it. Not just every other day. One more impact bat would really make this lineup scary.

I know I am in the minority here but my prediction/hope is that they stay the course. I don’t want the Brewers to go all in until they know for sure this team is ready to compete in the post season. After tonight the Brewers will be something like 19-18 since June 1st (6 week sample). After the break they have home series against the Dodgers and Nationals before headed out west to play the Giants and Dodgers again. Those first 4 series will tell us a lot. If they continue to trend down towards .500, keep the prospects and maybe sell high on a few guys like Thames, Chacin and Guerra. All three of these guys are north of 30, having solid seasons and have favorable short term contracts.

Attanasio panics and gives Stearns the order, "do whatever you have to do to get Machado."

Brewers get:

IF-Manny Machado

Orioles get:

RHP-Corbin Burnes

RHP-Brandon Woodruff

RHP-Jon Perrin

IF-Tucker Neuhaus (as a PTBNL)

Attanasio panics and gives Stearns the order, "do whatever you have to do to get Machado."

Brewers get:

IF-Manny Machado

Orioles get:

RHP-Corbin Burnes

RHP-Brandon Woodruff

RHP-Jon Perrin

IF-Tucker Neuhaus (as a PTBNL)

Attanasio needs to stay out of it.

Didn't realize until now now much some of our favorite targets have fallen off.

Hamels: 4.36 ERA, 5.04 FIP...yuck.

Happ is stili doing okay but up to a 4.29 ERA. He's pretty overrated.

Salvador Perez is awful at the plate. With a .259 OBP you could argue he's not even an upgrade over Pina.

Such a bummer that three potential sell pieces are now on the DL so close to the deadline (Thames, Guerra and Villar). I was really hoping the Brewers could sell off some pieces and add to their lower levels of the system. This would help ease the burden with making another major off season trade.

Such a bummer that three potential sell pieces are now on the DL so close to the deadline (Thames, Guerra and Villar). I was really hoping the Brewers could sell off some pieces and add to their lower levels of the system. This would help ease the burden with making another major off season trade.

Villar has basically zero surplus value, and i can't imagine they would trade Guerra now.

I know Thames is a popular trade name thrown out here for us, but I would guess the Brewers look at him that way a lot less than we do. Trading a .900 OPS bat for lower level prospects is probably not the best thing for the offense right now.

These guys could all be potential offseason sell candidates but very likely none would be moved before this deadline anyway.

Villar has basically zero surplus value, and i can't imagine they would trade Guerra now.

I know Thames is a popular trade name thrown out here for us, but I would guess the Brewers look at him that way a lot less than we do. Trading a .900 OPS bat for lower level prospects is probably not the best thing for the offense right now.

These guys could all be potential offseason sell candidates but very likely none would be moved before this deadline anyway.

I agree it most likely won’t happen and I also know that I am in the minority for not going all in for this year. It was my hope even though realistically teams will indeed go all in when given any opportunity to do so. For me, I would use the rest of this season to try and right the ship for Santana and Arcia. Get Nelson and Davies back with the idea of building them back up in prep to lead the rotation next year. Sell of some attractive deadline pieces such as Thames, Guerra and Chacin (more so to open spots for others). Finish building the rotation, yet controlling innings this season for Peralta, Burnes and Woodruff. With this the Brewers could be in a spot to trade some of their remaining AAA and any of their great AA assets to go after controllable players (the likes of Realmuto or Thor) this off season. This could lead to a serious 3-4 year run of division titles... Again, this is just my hope and opinion.

Archived