Brewer Fanatic

2018 Trade Deadline Prediction Thread

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Brewer Fanatic Contributor
Since we're in the season of wild speculation, I'll put this here .... Zack Brown's spot is being skipped in AA.

I'm sure if you asked them, the Brewers would say it is simply innings count-related. But Brown has definitely put himself on the map as a potential fast riser, so it wouldn't surprise me if he were drawing interest. It's guys like him that make me more confident about trading away guys like Burnes or Woodruff. The Brewers have more solid starting pitching depth in the system currently than I can ever remember.

Since we're in the season of wild speculation, I'll put this here .... Zack Brown's spot is being skipped in AA.

I was coming in here to say I have this weird feeling we're the runner up for Machado when some other team goes over the top to get him, but this post made me pause.

We had that second hand report of how high Stearns is on Brown. Hopefully they're just skipping a midseason start to keep his innings in check. On the other hand I could see Brown being used in a trade for a player with a few years of team control. If I'm buying in on Stearns fondness for Brown, I'm not seeing him go for Machado.

Since this is a prediction thread, I'll offer these...

- The Brewers are the runner-ups for Machado who is traded right after the AS game.

- The Brewers trade for JT Realmuto and send Woodruff, Brown, Erceg, and Nottingham to Miami

I would go with Machado and DeGrom, but have no faith that the Mets will be fair or logical. So..

Machado: Woodruff, Phillips

Realmuto: Hiura, Burnes, Nottingham, lottery tix org #35-40

Will Smith: Bickford, Susac. Okay no Susac so better kick in Stokes and KJ Harrison

Brewers:

Eduardo Escobar

Twins:

Gatewood

Supek

Brewers:

Wilson Ramos

Rays:

Grisham

Houser

I don't see the Escobar coming that cheaply. But I wish.

Don't know anything about Rays/Ramos - but I don't think Grisham counts for much and Houser probably isn't valued that highly right now either. I kind of think Houser will be an important pen guy next year.

Houser is a good pen guy who can go multiple innings, which is right up the Rays ally. They are collecting all these 2 to 4 inning type relievers and I think Houser fits that dogma.

Escobar is a FA after this year and is a pure rental, I thought that was a fair price.

Escobar is a FA after this year and is a pure rental, I thought that was a fair price.

Maybe teams will think fluke, and he is closer to how he produced in 2017. But, if we got this cheap, I would rather do this than Machado and use the assets to get another front line player. Brewers would also have a chance to resign Escobar.

They tried really hard to get a starter, up to offering Darvish a $100M contract.

Seems like they were waiting to pull the trigger on a move or two depending on the teams performance and what holes needed to be filled.

2 pitchers and 2 outfielders for Machado, take your pick.

Any other rental 1 plus 1

Jorge Lopez

Brandon Woodruff

Luis Ortiz

Adrian Houser

Cody Ponce

Marcos Diplan

Trey Supak

Brett Phillips

Tyrone Taylor

Trent Clark

Troy Stokes Jr

Corey Ray

A Brewers scout is in attendance at Tigers-Rays in St. Pete tonight, where Francisco Liriano and Chris Archer were the starters.

Archer trade is finally coming to fruition.

A Brewers scout is in attendance at Tigers-Rays in St. Pete tonight, where Francisco Liriano and Chris Archer were the starters.

He was great after a slow start before getting hurt. Affordable contract for the next several years. Durable and not old. Great stuff.

Where do I sign up? He's the perfect Brewers target, regardless of what some posters think ;)

Archer's ERA and WHIP have gone up the past 3 seasons. His HR per 9 innings has also gone up each year during that time. His strike-outs per 9 innings also trending down.

Too many red flags on this guy to give up what he is going to require.

pass.

"I'm sick of runnin' from these wimps!" Ajax - The WARRIORS

Archer's ERA and WHIP have gone up the past 3 seasons. His HR per 9 innings has also gone up each year during that time. His strike-outs per 9 innings also trending down.

pass.

Agreed.

"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

Community Moderator

Batting clean-up for the Rays, catcher Wilson Ramos went 2-for-5 with a home run in that game. His season line over 299 plate appearances is now .291 BA / .341 OBP / .471 SLG (.812 OPS) with a 126 wRC+.

Not just “at Night” anymore.

pass.

Agreed.

Disagree, but respect your guys' opinion. Personally, I think Archer is a perfect "change of scenery" candidate that could thrive in a playoff race. I get the red flags, and my hope would be that those would make the cost come down to an affordable level. Actually, those red flags may be the only reason a guy like Archer, in his physical prime and still under several years of affordable control, would theoretically be available.

The problem is his price won’t be change of scenery, it will be TOR level and he isn’t that sort of player.

Do we really know that, though? His price will likely be lower now that it hypothetically was before the season. Either the price will be affordable in a team's eyes, or TB won't find a buyer. I don't see this as the time Stearns suddenly decides to throw caution to the wind.

The problem is his price won’t be change of scenery, it will be TOR level and he isn’t that sort of player.

No one knows what the price is until a deal is made. The rumored price has all been speculation. I mean, we can make educated guesses, but at the end of the day, that's all they are ... guesses.

I'd argue that, given Archer's track record and the current state of the Brewers' pitching staff, he'd be at the top of their rotation. Does that make him a TOR starter? That is debatable.

It may turn out that Archer will be the top non-rental starter available at the deadline. Or he may not even be available. It's all rumors and misdirection at this point.

Do we really know that, though? His price will likely be lower now that it hypothetically was before the season. Either the price will be affordable in a team's eyes, or TB won't find a buyer. I don't see this as the time Stearns suddenly decides to throw caution to the wind.

I also just don't see a team that turned down 3 top 50 prospects for Archer pre-2017 shipping him out at a big discount a year and a half later with still a lot of control left.

I also just don't see a team that turned down 3 top 50 prospects for Archer pre-2017 shipping him out at a big discount a year and a half later with still a lot of control left.

Tucker, Martes and Paulino were all Top 50 guys at the time according to Baseball America, but not necessarily according to the Tampa Bay Rays.

Archived