Brewer Fanatic

2018 Trade Deadline Prediction Thread

Community Moderator

Today officially marks the Ten Year Anniversary of the 2008 CC Sabathia trade that ultimately led the Brewers to their first postseason appearance since 1982. Ten years later the Brewers are sitting on six straight years of missing the playoffs which is tied for the 5th longest current playoff drought across all of MLB.

Things are obviously looking promising this year as the team currently sits at 53-35. The team appears to have a talented enough core to be considered a legitimate pennant contender. While nothing may be able to compare to the impact of that Sabathia trade in 2008, I thought it would offer some fun to take a shot at predicting the 2018 trade deadline moves the Brewers will make.

Use this thread to post any trade predictions, as in moves you think the Brewers will make between now and July 31st. If you only want to predict the player(s) you think the Brewers will acquire prior to the deadline that is perfectly fine. If you want to take a stab at predicting what you think the Brewers will have to give up in prospect capital to acquire your predicted trade acquisition, that is encouraged as well. We will continue detailed discussion of the options in other threads, but use this thread to “place your bets”.

Not just “at Night” anymore.

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Here are a few trade ideas that I thought of. The Tigers one I am not sure where everyone would play but it would move Braun to a full time bench role which is a plus for me.

Brewers receive:

C AJ Ellis

Padres receive:

RHP Thomas Jankins and 1B: Ronnie Gideon

Brewers receive:

SS/3B Manny Machado

Orioles receive:

RHP Brandon Woodruff, RHP Corbin Burnes, and OF Corey Ray

Brewers receive:

SS Jose Iglesias and OF/3B Nick Castellanos

Tigers receive:

2B Jonathan Villar, OF Domingo Santana, RHP Marcos Diplan, 1B Jake Gatewood and RHP Jorge Lopez

Brewers receive:

LHP Luis Avilan

White Sox receive:

RHP Jorge Lopez

Brewers trade for one of, Stroman, DeGrom, Thor, Archer, Hamels, or Happ. Offer depends on what player the Brewers are getting.

This. I think we add one "high-end" starting pitcher.

Maybe also a catcher if the price is right....

Community Moderator

Trade Prediction: Brewers acquire Manny Machado from the Orioles in exchange for three players...

1) RHP Brandon Woodruff

2) Either RHP Luis Ortiz or RHP Marcos Diplan

3) Baltimore native Troy Stokes, Jr. (OF)

Trade Prediction: Brewers acquire SS Manny Machado from the Orioles in exchange for RHP Brandon Woodruff, RHP Luis Ortiz, and 3B Lucas Erceg.

I could also see OF Domingo Santana replacing one of Woodruff or Ortiz if the Orioles have a preference in one pitcher over the other and wanting Santana included.

Where is all this Machado to the Brewers optimism coming form? I just don't see it. I think perhaps we get an Ellis/Cervelli/Wilson type catcher but I think they like Pina more than folks on here think they should. My guess is that the Miller acquisition equals the Walker addition from last year. Then maybe a pen arm or two but I think most folks on here are going to be underwhelmed, much like last year.
but it's not like every guy suddenly forgot every piece of advice he gave

Community Moderator
Worth noting elsewhere that Woodruff was scratched despite not being involved in the multitude of roster moves this morning. Could be a minor injury, of course, but I'd bet that he's a lock to be involved in a deal if one happens soon.

Worth noting elsewhere that Woodruff was scratched despite not being involved in the multitude of roster moves this morning. Could be a minor injury, of course, but I'd bet that he's a lock to be involved in a deal if one happens soon.

This , with the Orioles ramping up the Machado sweepstakes ... makes me wonder if he is indeed part of the package. Or offer at least. They may not make the deal or meet ‘oriole asking price’ but there is at least a shot!

My guess is Woodruff, Diplan, Stokes or Santana for Machado - by mid day Tuesday.

A boy can dream right?

Realmuto to Brewers for Zack Brown , Corey Ray, Lucas Erceg, A level lottery ticket

Community Moderator

That is indeed an interesting move. Let the speculation begin!

Community Moderator

Adam McCalvy just sent this message via Twitter...

Brandon Woodruff’s last start on Monday was cut short, he hasn’t pitched since, and he was passed over for a promotion today. So I asked and was told there’s no injury — Brewers planned a break heading into this week’s Triple-A All-Star break in part to manage Woodruff’s innings.

Where is all this Machado to the Brewers optimism coming form? I just don't see it.

From this article... Orioles busy fielding offers from Dodgers, six other teams on Manny Machado

That doesn't say a whole lot except that maybe the Brewers are third in the pecking order of teams vying for the guy. I haven't read anything that would suggest anyone but he Dodgers as the clear favorite with the best deal on the table and the ability to significantly improve on that.

McCalvy asked, and Searns said it was planned to manage Woodruff's innings. I can't imagine Woodruff is on much of an innings limit, though.

This smells like smoke and mirrors to me ...

I mean, I HOPE, it’s only smoke and mirrors! I want an impact bat !! :)

McCalvy asked, and Searns said it was planned to manage Woodruff's innings. I can't imagine Woodruff is on much of an innings limit, though.

Sounds reasonable to me. He only threw 120 last year. He is already at 75 or so this year. If any part of the plan involves him being able to give the big league club innings later in the year they need to limit him some.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor

This smells like smoke and mirrors to me ...

I mean, I HOPE, it’s only smoke and mirrors! I want an impact bat !! :)

Yeah, I kind of smell smoke as well. Woodruff as part of the package for Realmuto wouldn't bother me at all. I get a sense of some fatigue regarding Woodruff as a prospect on this board, but I would think he still has very high value as a young power pitcher.

Archived