Brewer Fanatic

Suter to the DL; Wilkerson starting tomorrow

Milwaukee Brewers

@Brewers

LHP Brent Suter has been placed on the 10-day disabled list with left forearm tightness, retroactive to July 3. RHP Aaron Wilkerson has been recalled from Triple-A @skysox and will start tomorrow against Atlanta.

Just saw this too, why not Woodruff? I'm guessing the days don't line up or something but if they'd known this was possible could have started planning a few days ago for it

That would be the most logical guess. I would imagine Woodruff and Burnes would be called up before Wilkerson if it wasn't such short-term notice.

Just saw this too, why not Woodruff? I'm guessing the days don't line up or something but if they'd known this was possible could have started planning a few days ago for it

Woodruff would actually line up perfectly as he pitched 4 innings on 7/2, would be normal rest for him. Wilkerson last pitched 6/26. Maybe they simply think Wilkerson is the better pitcher right now, but agreed it is surprising.

Woodruff would actually line up perfectly as he pitched 4 innings on 7/2, would be normal rest for him. Wilkerson last pitched 6/26. Maybe they simply think Wilkerson is the better pitcher right now, but agreed it is surprising.

Wow, very surprised then. I'd like to see Woodruff get a few starts. He was fine his last time up, think he went 4 or 5 innings scoreless or at least ok. Fastball getting in the 96-99 range too. Wilkerson last game got just lit up. Besides recent games though, one is a legit prospect and the other is just filler. I'd prefer getting the legit prospect a run.

Community Moderator

Just pure speculation and probably a long shot, but maybe Woodruff is one of the players currently being discussed in on-going trade discussions.

Not just “at Night” anymore.

From the "silver lining" dept, Suter's injury is only muscular. Doc told him UCL is fine. Muscle tightened up on him on a pitch in the 1st inning of his latest start. He said it's minor but could get worse easily if they push it. He's disappointed to have to hit the DL though.

Just pure speculation and probably a long shot, but maybe Woodruff is one of the players currently being discussed in on-going trade discussions.

This would certainly make a lot of sense. If Woodruff is moved though, it better be for something significant.

Piggybacking off this - if Woodruff is traded, and I'd actually be shocked if him and Phillips aren't, with Peralta already up and Burnes shifting to the pen this would then bump Wilkerson up the food chain as next in line for spot starts...he's been throwing really well in AAA too, which I'm sure was a factor.

Verified Member
It's also possible they are having Woodruff work on something in AAA at the moment and would rather given Wilkerson a spot start or two to reward him for his 2.08 ERA at AAA this season.

Pitching is pitching. Why would it matter if it is at the MLB or AAA level? Doesn’t make sense to me to be honest.

Regarding Burnes I don’t think he is a rotation option anymore. He was moved to the bullpen and I don’t see them changing that unless our starters start dropping to injuries like flies diving onto poop.

Community Moderator

Pitching is pitching. Why would it matter if it is at the MLB or AAA level? Doesn’t make sense to me to be honest.

Regarding Burnes I don’t think he is a rotation option anymore. He was moved to the bullpen and I don’t see them changing that unless our starters start dropping to injuries like flies diving onto poop.

I prefaced with it being an unlikely reason, but if there was a high likelihood a player was going to be traded in the very near future I could see a team in a division/playoff race preferring to leave that player at Triple-A instead of calling him up just to turn around and potentially trade him out of the MLB clubhouse in the coming days. Also, the stakes for scratching a pitcher from a Triple-A start are much lower than possibly having to do so leading up to a start at the MLB level. Again, a long shot, but also not an impossible scenario either.

I guess the opposite approach is what the Angels did with Jean Segura before trading him to the Brewers, but that was also his MLB debut and he isn’t a pitcher, so also a different case.

Not just “at Night” anymore.

My guess is Woodruff will pitch 1 game of the doubleheader in Pittsburgh

Is this an option for Miley by this time ?

Could be. Would give him one more rehab start, and the next start would align with that series.

My guess is Woodruff will pitch 1 game of the doubleheader in Pittsburgh

My guess is Wilkerson starts today, then returns to CS and they bring back Lopez as an extra bullpen arm. Suter returns to start opener vs. Pirates on Thursday replacing Lopez on the roster. If he's not ready, then Miley is an option. Woodruff comes up as the 26th man on Saturday to start one of the games of the DH.

all optioned pitchers have been down at least 10 days except for adrian houser and aaron wilkerson. the only way either of those two could be recalled is to replace a player on the disabled list.

houser will meet the requisite 10 days after wilkerson's start. with nine games in eight days after wilkerson's start, better to take advantage of the exception allowed in recalling a recently optioned player and keep houser, alec asher, jorge lopez and brandon woodruff available at any time for the colorado springs-milwaukee shuttle.

even if wilkerson pitches a gem today, it's likely that he's optioned after the game for a fresh reliever--who is then optioned for either asher or woodruff (possibly houser, or wade miley as others have suggested) to open the series thursday in pittsburgh.

I think they went with Wilkerson to bring up some bullpen help after the game. Drop Wilkerson and Zagurski and bring up Houser and Lopez with QTC/Ramirez being a darkhorse callup. Also think Peralta gets the Zach Davies treatment after his next start with the ASG coming up and he is optioned with Woodruff taking his place.

Why do Brewers keep calling up Wilkerson? How much more does he need to prove that he is a garbage mlb pitcher? How is Woodruff or even Burns not a better option? Hopefully DFA is near

Proud member since 2003 (geez ha I was 14 then)

FORMERLY BrewCrewWS2008 and YoungGeezy don't even remember other names used

Brewer Fanatic Contributor
Why do Brewers keep calling up Wilkerson? How much more does he need to prove that he is a garbage mlb pitcher? How is Woodruff or even Burns not a better option? Hopefully DFA is near

Making that determination off of one relief outing this year, are ya? Wilkerson looked good in his MLB time last year, so it surely wasn't that. Not real sure where that feeling is coming from, other than that he is older than most AAA pitchers.

Jumped gun a little early after awful outing other day & bad 1st inning. Last year he had the good 7 inning outing Oct. 1, clean 1 inning Sept. 15, and 2.1 4 hit 3 run outing after that.

I do feel there are pitchers who should be ahead of him on pecking order.

Proud member since 2003 (geez ha I was 14 then)

FORMERLY BrewCrewWS2008 and YoungGeezy don't even remember other names used

Brewer Fanatic Contributor
Jumped gun a little early after awful outing other day & bad 1st inning. Last year he had the good 7 inning outing Oct. 1, clean 1 inning Sept. 15, and 2.1 4 hit 3 run outing after that.

He was just fine today. I'm a Woodruff fan too, and would love to see him up as a regular member of the rotation. I'm sure there is a reason why they went with Wilkerson instead of Woodruff, though. Matchups perhaps? In any case, Wilkerson did exactly what he was supposed to today. Not his fault the bats have taken the day off.

He was just fine today. I'm a Woodruff fan too, and would love to see him up as a regular member of the rotation. I'm sure there is a reason why they went with Wilkerson instead of Woodruff, though. Matchups perhaps? In any case, Wilkerson did exactly what he was supposed to today. Not his fault the bats have taken the day off.

I think it was Wilkerson and not Woodruff because they were looking ahead to the doubleheader in Pittsburgh. Whoever pitched today will likely be sent down to make room for Cain tomorrow and wouldn't be eligible to be called back up for next week.

Archived