Brewer Fanatic

Middle Infielders on the Market [Latest: Asdrúbal Cabrera linked to Brewers]

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well last winter we learned Santana didn’t have much trade interest (and probably nowhere near the value his production would hint at). Considering his power stroke disappeared (like some teams feared) and now sits at AAA I am betting this proposed deal is not anywhere near what the Royals would want from us.

I actually would not be surprised if this is what the Brewers were offering in the winter to get Merrifield. Merrifield is a better player at a more premium position so a few prospects to even out the deal. Royals would have gotten a productive MLB player that is younger than Merrifield.

This deal now? No way Royals are taking that.

Community Moderator

I suppose it'd come down to whether the Royals are willing to bet on regular AB's/change of scenery/relative youth leading to a rebound for Santana, which isn't all that crazy. We'd certainly be selling low on Santana, but we'd also be dealing from a surplus position to fill a major hole.

I don't think it's impossible to think that they would be interested.

A Brewers fan site and Royals fan site came together on this dealfor Merrifield:

Brewers get: Merrifield

Royals get: Erceg/Santana/Derby

I could live with that I think.

Would suck to lose Erceg, but I think this is a solid deal for both sides. Royals get two nice pieces (provided Santana power shows again) and a wildcard in Bubba Derby. Brewers get multiple years of control of a Zobrist like player. I think a lot of Brewers fans underrate how good Whit is.

Well last winter we learned Santana didn’t have much trade interest (and probably nowhere near the value his production would hint at). Considering his power stroke disappeared (like some teams feared) and now sits at AAA I am betting this proposed deal is not anywhere near what the Royals would want from us.

I actually would not be surprised if this is what the Brewers were offering in the winter to get Merrifield. Merrifield is a better player at a more premium position so a few prospects to even out the deal. Royals would have gotten a productive MLB player that is younger than Merrifield.

I really like Whit, but you also have to remember he's already 29. I think it's not out of the question the Royals ponder that deal hard to get a jump on their rebuild.

I suppose it'd come down to whether the Royals are willing to bet on regular AB's/change of scenery/relative youth leading to a rebound for Santana, which isn't all that crazy. We'd certainly be selling low on Santana, but we'd also be dealing from a surplus position to fill a major hole.

Obviously would hinge on their thoughts of Santana. Teams didn’t like him during the winter and now he has some bad months under his belt. The fact we liked Whit in the winter and were looking to trade Santana tells me such a deal involving the deal was already not agreed upon. I find it unlikely not after Whit continues to be good and Santana is in AAA can’t bode well.

Not impossible, but seems unlikely. We tried all winter to get MLB talent for Santana. I think we hold onto him at this point.

Obviously would hinge on their thoughts of Santana. Teams didn’t like him during the winter and now he has some bad months under his belt. The fact we liked Whit in the winter and were looking to trade Santana tells me such a deal involving the deal was already not agreed upon. I find it unlikely not after Whit continues to be good and Santana is in AAA can’t bode well.

Not impossible, but seems unlikely. We tried all winter to get MLB talent for Santana. I think we hold onto him at this point.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor
A Brewers fan site and Royals fan site came together on this dealfor Merrifield:

Brewers get: Merrifield

Royals get: Erceg/Santana/Derby

I could live with that I think.

Pretty even deal. Selling low on Santana, but who knows if he's ever going to right himself? Sucks giving up Erceg, as the system doesn't have many good 3B prospects. I'd consider Santana and Derby expendable given the depth at those spots.

I would guess that just every GM would place pretty minimal value on Santana at this point. Look at what the Brewers are doing, another start for Hernan Perez at a corner outfield spot and another start hitting 5th in the lineup. Perez is hitting .246/.273/.385/.658. And Santana rots in the minors (where he is being out-OPS'ed by Arcia currently). Santana doesn't have the look of a player that other teams would be interest in acquiring.

I have to give Erceg a little credit, at least he finally got that seasonal OBP above .300. But as a minor leaguer, in over 1150 plate appearances, his slash line is .272/.325/.428/.754 as a corner infielder. No way should he be getting any consideration as a top 200 prospect at this point. If he doesn't step it up at the plate, I don't think it would be unreasonable to drop him from a "top 10 organizational prospect" to "role player prospect" at the end of the year. I haven't given up on him, but he's not someone I'd place much value on if making a trade. The guy has underachieved at the plate for a solid 1.5 years now.

Scouting reports I read on Bubba Derby still indicate his upside is a long-relief guy. He has to be considered a fringe-prospect and nothing more.

If I'm the Royals GM, a proposal of Merrifield for Erceg/Santana/Derby is an easy, easy pass.

I'm honestly interested in basically none of them given current ability and price. Maybe one of the shortstops.

That was my immediate reaction as well. When you look at guys like Miller and Saladino, or a guy like Sogard last year, sometimes it's a total fluke but sometimes you have to wonder if they didn't just have a great off-season of training or something like that. In other words, just cross your fingers and hope there's a reason it's happening and therefore it could last a few months.

I still prefer Villar as well. Positive value on the basepaths despite the gaffes, very good range at 2b, getting the hang of the position, hits from both sides... what's not to like compared to giving up assets for a probably sideways move at best?

Actually, I'd go for Starlin Castro, who I liked in the offseason (around the time the Marlins wanted to deal Yelich, I wanted the Crew to also try to get Castro in the deal).

Here's what I'm thinking:

Brewers get: SS/2B Starlin Castro, C J.T. Realmuto

Marlins get: OF Keon Broxton, SS Orlando Arcia, IF Jake Gatewood, RHP Aaron Wilkerson, RHP Luis Ortiz

Castro takes SS, and gets a +113 OPS there. Miller at 2B. Villar/Perez on the bench. Realmuto becomes primary catcher.

Actually, I'd go for Starlin Castro, who I liked in the offseason (around the time the Marlins wanted to deal Yelich, I wanted the Crew to also try to get Castro in the deal).

Here's what I'm thinking:

Brewers get: SS/2B Starlin Castro, C J.T. Realmuto

Marlins get: OF Keon Broxton, SS Orlando Arcia, IF Jake Gatewood, RHP Aaron Wilkerson, RHP Luis Ortiz

Castro takes SS, and gets a +113 OPS there. Miller at 2B. Villar/Perez on the bench. Realmuto becomes primary catcher.

Why would the Marlins even consider a Castro/ Realmuto trade for those players? Realmuto alone will cost as much, if not more, than what Yelich did...

Castro has a huge salary, so maybe his price won't be too bad if his new owner takes his salary with him...

Attanasio has said he'd open the checkbook.

Castro for Arcia and Wilkerson would be a good move, upgrade SS through 2020, when Carmona/Turang will be knocking at the door.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor
Castro has a huge salary, so maybe his price won't be too bad if his new owner takes his salary with him...

Castro for Arcia and Wilkerson would be a good move, upgrade SS through 2020, when Carmona/Turang will be knocking at the door.

You are really beating the "Arcia is worth nothing" idea to death. I think you are very, very wrong.

I'm honestly interested in basically none of them given current ability and price. Maybe one of the shortstops.

That was my immediate reaction as well. When you look at guys like Miller and Saladino, or a guy like Sogard last year, sometimes it's a total fluke but sometimes you have to wonder if they didn't just have a great off-season of training or something like that. In other words, just cross your fingers and hope there's a reason it's happening and therefore it could last a few months.

I still prefer Villar as well. Positive value on the basepaths despite the gaffes, very good range at 2b, getting the hang of the position, hits from both sides... what's not to like compared to giving up assets for a probably sideways move at best?

At worst, Villar is a 2B/SS/3B/CF/PR off the bench. That versatility is a huge plus,and he has speed. He also has his average up some, but not the pop from 2016.

Castro at short intrigues me, as he has a +113 OPS+ right now. Arcia and Wilkerson should be enough to get him provided the Crew takes on the salary. The Marlins can hand over their 2019 international bonus slots, and a competitive balance pick to even it up.

Castro hasn't played shortstop since 2015 and he was not very good (he was a little below average) at it prior to that.

Castro is probably as good or better defensively than Machado.
"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

• 2 weeks later...
Community Moderator

Reportedly another middle infielder the Brewers are believed to be checking on is Asdrúbal Cabrera.

From Mark Feinsand:

Familia not the only Mets player drawing interest; source says multiple teams have inquired about Asdrubal Cabrera, though no deal is imminent. Brewers and D-backs believed to be among potential suitors.

Cabrera hasn’t played SS at all this year, but between 2016 & 2017 he started a 180 games at Shortstop. He is a switch hitter that could play 2B and 3B as well. It appears he has been very good offensively this year as a left handed batter.

Not just “at Night” anymore.

I'm all in on Astrubal Cabrera. The price should be low, as he's been unhappy there for a long time and everyone knows it. A solid veteran with good baseball left in him. You can send them Villar to avoid using good prospects. If we're not going to play Villar and it's obvious we won't, might as well make use of him.

Reportedly another middle infielder the Brewers are believed to be checking on is Asdrúbal Cabrera.

From Mark Feinsand:

Familia not the only Mets player drawing interest; source says multiple teams have inquired about Asdrubal Cabrera, though no deal is imminent. Brewers and D-backs believed to be among potential suitors.

Cabrera hasn’t played SS at all this year, but between 2016 & 2017 he started a 180 games at Shortstop. He is a switch hitter that could play 2B and 3B as well. It appears he has been very good offensively this year as a left handed batter.

He been quite vocal about hating being dragged around the diamond. If we don't want a malcontent, he's a shortstop

Archived