Brewer Fanatic

Middle Infielders on the Market [Latest: Asdrúbal Cabrera linked to Brewers]

Community Moderator

A recent Ken Rosenthal article at The Athletic speculated that there are going to be more middle infielders on the market this month than teams with a need for middle infield help. He lists the below players as either known to be available or likely available.

Second base: DJ LeMahieu, Brian Dozier, Scooter Gennett, Josh Harrison, Asdrúbal Cabrera, Starlin Castro.

Shortstop: Manny Machado, Eduardo Escobar, Jordy Mercer, Freddy Galvis, Adeiny Hechavarria, José Iglesias.

With Eric Sogard DFA’d and Orlando Arcia in the minors for the foreseeable future, is it possible that Tyler Saladino and Brad Miller are considered the answer at SS for the remainder of the season?

I have long assumed that Jed Lowrie was a no-brainer middle infield target for the Brewers, but with the A’s currently 9 games above .500 I am not convinced they are destined to be deadline sellers. I was also a little surprised Rosenthal didn’t include Whit Merrifield, but the majority of players he listed are much closer to the end of their team control.

If we assume Manny Machado is an unlikely option for the Brewers, what other middle infielders identified by Rosenthal as available would make sense as an upgrade for the Brewers? I assume the Brewers would prioritize a player that has the flexibility to play around the infield. It seems like someone that can play passable defense at shortstop would be valuable on this team, something I’m not convinced they can rely on Brad Miller to do with regularity.

Do any of these available players make sense at this point for the Brewers given the current roster?

The players that stood out to me were Asdrúbal Cabrera and Eduardo Escobar, but I don’t know if either offers a strong enough defensive profile to make sense. Curious which player(s) other prefer from Rosenthal’s list given where the middle infield situation currently stands?

Not just “at Night” anymore.

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If the Brewers acquire one infielder I hope it’s someone who has a recent track record of playing short stop.

I think Eduardo Escobar makes the most sense for them as far as rentals go. Even though he’s primarily been a 3b, he’s played a significant amount of short stop as well. He’s played a handful of innings at second base so the brewers likely would give him some innings there as well.

He’s a switch hitter with decent obp and good slugging. He’s hitting well from both sides this year which means he can play almost every day if needed.

He isn’t great defensively per the metrics, but the Brewers rotation isn’t really a ground ball heavy staff. They can afford to sacrifice defense a little bit on the infield and make defensive changes once they get to the bullpen with a lead. Like what we’ve seen with Miller so far.

He can also spell Shaw at third against lefties.

I’m not exactly sure what the acquisition cost will be but I’m guessing something like a top 6-10ish prospect or a couple in the 10-30ish range. Probably no one you’ll cry about giving up.

I'm honestly interested in basically none of them given current ability and price. Maybe one of the shortstops.

Miller is a better hitter than Lemahieu.

Dozier - if the price is low.

Scooter will cost too much

Harrison - nah

Asdrubal may break down I worry. I'd be interested for a low price.

Starlin if they give him away.

For the shortstops...maybe Jose Iglesias? The thing is, we probably want a defensive SS that isn't bad at offense. I'll just live with Saladino and sprinkle in Miller there with Arcia as the defensive guy later in the year potentially. Machado of course I'd love but he's too expensive.

I'd be fairly interested in Eduardo Escobar but the price will be an interesting discussion.

Thinking through the guys we have, I'm not entirely sure we'll target a middle infielder anymore. Right now our starters if healthy are Cain/Yelich/Braun/Aguilar/Villar/Saladino/Shaw/Pina on a given night. We'll probably roll 13 relievers more often than not. Our bench includes Perez/Miller/Thames/backup C. Arcia is in AAA working on his bat and is a depth option. There really isn't a spot for a backup middle infielder. For us to even bother trading for someone, we would have to determine that said person is a better option than one of our current guys. That narrows the list considerably and immediately. You are probably looking at Machado, Escobar, and Scooter as the only clear upgrades. Arguments can be made for a couple other guys, depending on what you are looking for specifically.

I'm open to exploring any of those guys. I doubt we trade for Scooter. Machado will probably be too expensive but we should at least check in on him. Escobar could be interesting, that's assuming the Twins move him.

Thinking through the guys we have, I'm not entirely sure we'll target a middle infielder anymore. Right now our starters if healthy are Cain/Yelich/Braun/Aguilar/Villar/Saladino/Shaw/Pina on a given night. We'll probably roll 13 relievers more often than not. Our bench includes Perez/Miller/Thames/backup C. Arcia is in AAA working on his bat and is a depth option. There really isn't a spot for a backup middle infielder. For us to even bother trading for someone, we would have to determine that said person is a better option than one of our current guys. That narrows the list considerably and immediately. You are probably looking at Machado, Escobar, and Scooter as the only clear upgrades. Arguments can be made for a couple other guys, depending on what you are looking for specifically.

I'm open to exploring any of those guys. I doubt we trade for Scooter. Machado will probably be too expensive but we should at least check in on him. Escobar could be interesting, that's assuming the Twins move him.

Pretty much where I'm at. It's not perfect, but we do have depth and can platoon in ways to try to mask matchup or defensive issues.

We can roll with our infielders if we upgrade our catching spot.
"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

I now currently like what we have up the middle. And unless its an Edwin Escobar or Manny who would be a CLEAR upgrade, I don't see the point because with what we have (including Arcia) we have a mix of power, speed (Villar), grit, glamor, and defense. Once all are healthy and we have OF'ers playing in the OF, I think our big need would be a top line catcher or starter. Not that a nice piece for cheap wouldn't be great, but what is the point of a move at this point unless its a SLAM DUNK kind of guy? I think that's where my mindset is now, and I bet DS is much the same. We have a good team, and have slowly started to trim the fat, and demoted those that need work. In difference to years past, they actually are making moves that make sense for once. Minus the Zagwicki or whatever his name is. THAT is a head scratcher for so many reasons!

Unless Miller is going to play the majority of the time at SS that position is still a black hole until proven otherwise. Saladino and Orf are likely both going to give garbage production. Villar/Miller isn’t too shabby for 2B, but that still leaves two problem child’s at SS/C way too often.

Unless Miller is going to play the majority of the time at SS that position is still a black hole until proven otherwise. Saladino and Orf are likely both going to give garbage production. Villar/Miller isn’t too shabby for 2B, but that still leaves two problem child’s at SS/C way too often.

It sounds like you'd be looking to replace Saladino then? That would probably be the most logical option if we traded for Machado or Escobar, I'm not sure on his option situation if we can send him down...but I believe we could.

It sounds like you'd be looking to replace Saladino then? That would probably be the most logical option if we traded for Machado or Escobar, I'm not sure on his option situation if we can send him down...but I believe we could.

Well assuming Orf/Saladino both stay when Cain gets back. Despite his exciting play the last week defensively I think Keon Broxton still goes down...but we will see. If your asking if I would keep Villar, yes.

I’m guessing they would replace Orf on the roster, but depends on what each shows between now and a trade actually happening.

I'd like to think that Saladino is the Brewers version of Chris Taylor where they saw a guy on another team and identified a mechanical adjustment to make him a better hitter. It's been reported that the Brewers did exactly this with Saladino - the White Sox coached him to get rid of his leg kick, but the Brewers brought it back, and he's not the .610 OPS hitter he was with the White Sox. I don't think he's the .996 OPS hitter that he currently is with the Brewers, but I don't think I see anyone else who is significantly better that wouldn't require a significant investment in trade, with the possible exception of Asdrubal Cabrera.

If Miller and Villar can platoon at 2B they can neutralize each other's weaknesses and the combined effort will be a plus offensive 2B. Defense... maybe not.

Saladino is the starting SS, Perez is the backup, Miller the emergency.

Miller/Villar platoon at 2B, Perez backs them up, Orf will likely go when Cain is back or if they need another bullpen arm.

6 weeks ago I was the biggest fan of sticking with Villar and giving him a solid month to sink or swim. Last 30 days = .203/.244/.338/.582. Time to pull the plug and move Miller to 2B which is an easy move considering his defensive deficiencies. Kind of bums me out because I really wanted to see Orf get a chance. SS still a glaring hole on this roster. Don't mind giving Saladino a chance but that track record with the White Sox is just too ugly to ignore (.231/.281/.330/.610 in 863 plate appearances). Of the options out there right now I probably like Iglesias best when the price-tag is factored in. He's only hit .259/.300/.359/.660 over the last two season. Obviously not pretty but it's considerably better than what Saladino did during his time with the White Sox and is obviously way better than the .204/.255/.298/.553 slash line that the Brewers have gotten out of the shortstop position. Iglesias is solid defensively, no issues there. If teamed together, hopefully one of Iglesias and Saladino would get hot offensively at the right time of the season.

Iglesias would probably be considered good for about 0.6 WAR over the rest of the season which would put his value at about 5.5 million, then subtract the approximate 3 million he's owed and the surplus value is only 2.5 million. Should only cost one fringe prospect and probably not a better one at that. Return is probably similar to what the Mets got for Neil Walker last year (Eric Hanhold).

All that said, I'm still not a big fan of Iglesias and would be waiting until the tail end of the month before making a move like this...just to see if anything else pops up.

6 weeks ago I was the biggest fan of sticking with Villar and giving him a solid month to sink or swim. Last 30 days = .203/.244/.338/.582. Time to pull the plug and move Miller to 2B which is an easy move considering his defensive deficiencies. Kind of bums me out because I really wanted to see Orf get a chance. SS still a glaring hole on this roster. Don't mind giving Saladino a chance but that track record with the White Sox is just too ugly to ignore (.231/.281/.330/.610 in 863 plate appearances). Of the options out there right now I probably like Iglesias best when the price-tag is factored in. He's only hit .259/.300/.359/.660 over the last two season. Obviously not pretty but it's considerably better than what Saladino did during his time with the White Sox and is obviously way better than the .204/.255/.298/.553 slash line that the Brewers have gotten out of the shortstop position. Iglesias is solid defensively, no issues there. If teamed together, hopefully one of Iglesias and Saladino would get hot offensively at the right time of the season.

Iglesias would probably be considered good for about 0.6 WAR over the rest of the season which would put his value at about 5.5 million, then subtract the approximate 3 million he's owed and the surplus value is only 2.5 million. Should only cost one fringe prospect and probably not a better one at that. Return is probably similar to what the Mets got for Neil Walker last year (Eric Hanhold).

All that said, I'm still not a big fan of Iglesias and would be waiting until the tail end of the month before making a move like this...just to see if anything else pops up.

You can hand 2B to Miller -- but Villar still should be his platoon partner (.912 OPS vs. RHP this year).

Either that or let Orf take Villar's roster spot if you're confident in Orf's ability to hit in the majors (I'm not). So just let Villar finish the season as the short-side platoon guy and pinch runner and assess again next year. Saladino/Arcia/Miller at SS at various stages, I guess.

I could still see a trade for a SS, though LouisEly does bring up a good point about Saladino. As he said, I'm not sure we have a Chris Taylor transformation, but in this short sample of games, when Saladino contacts the baseball, he crushes it. 51.4% hard hit % and 42.9% medium hit %. Of course that is extremely unsustainable and Saladino is in the low 20s % for hard hit % and mid 50s medium hit %, but I think this year's numbers are promising in that regard and may show that he's turned the corner to being an adequate hitter potentially. And his glove plays.

I may be foolish in thinking so but I believe Arcia will figure it out in Triple AAA, will be back in August and be the "deadline acquisition" for SS. To this end, I would focus on upgrading 2B and my target would be Brian Dozier (assuming his cost wouldn't be too prohibitive). The numbers indicate he is about league average on defense and, as has been mentioned elsewhere, is a second half hitter (.304/.394/.985 in 2017 & .291/.344/.990 in 2016). Acquire him and stick him in the leadoff spot for the second half and the lineup lengthens significantly:

Dozier-Yelich-Cain-Shaw-Aguilar-Thames/Braun

If Saladino/Arcia can just hit .250-.260, I like that offense immensely as they chase October.

Community Moderator
You can hand 2B to Miller -- but Villar still should be his platoon partner (.912 OPS vs. RHP this year).

I think you meant a .912 OPS vs. LHP. The point is a good one though, Villar and Miller would matchup well as a platoon at 2B.

Not just “at Night” anymore.

Not seeing many folks even talking about Escobar. I think he would be the big 'get' of the available options, that would be truly worth trading for anyhow. I am not familiar with his D though, but his bat has been very good this year. He has a realistic shot at 55-60 doubles this year while hitting 25-30 homers. Wonder what his cost would be.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor
Eduardo Escobar makes some sense given his positional flexibility (2B, SS, 3B, OF). He's got an 856 OPS this year. Pick him up and hope he stays hot. I don't think his defense is all that hot though.
"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

Not seeing many folks even talking about Escobar. I think he would be the big 'get' of the available options, that would be truly worth trading for anyhow. I am not familiar with his D though, but his bat has been very good this year. He has a realistic shot at 55-60 doubles this year while hitting 25-30 homers. Wonder what his cost would be.

Escobar would be my guy too. Doubles machine, can play all over the diamond which would come in handy should Shaw's wrist injury get any worse and cause him to miss more time. Escobar sliding over to 3rd to fill in instead of Hernan is a major offensive upgrade.

I wish the Brewers would give a big league look to Dylan Moore before making a trade. Not saying we shouldn’t ultimately make a move but I would wonder what they have in him. He has had a huge bounce back year.

I'd be interested to see what Escobar goes for. I'd guess a fair price would be about 10-12 million in surplus value, which would probably equate to a couple better "role-player" prospects.

IMO fair deals would be something like:

-Escobar for Zack Brown and Jake Gatewood

-Escobar for Trey Supak and Troy Stokes

Just have to wonder if Escobar is at the tail end of a hot streak. His slash line is .274/.331/.524/.856. From 2015-2017 his slash line was .251/.301/.415/.716. His month-to-month stats this year show some variance, but the worst full month was May and he posted a respectable .241/.305/.426/.731 that month. Defense at shortstop would easily be the biggest obstacle. -7 DRS in only 185 2/3 innings which is horrible and a -15.2 UZR/150 is also really bad.

Just have to wonder if Escobar is at the tail end of a hot streak. His slash line is .274/.331/.524/.856. From 2015-2017 his slash line was .251/.301/.415/.716. His month-to-month stats this year show some variance, but the worst full month was May and he posted a respectable .241/.305/.426/.731 that month
This is where I'm leery with Escobar. 2018 doesn't look like his career norms at all & he's in a bad slump right now. On top of that he's never logged a full workload of being a full-time starter for an entire season. He seems risky to me.
Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

Archived