Brewer Fanatic

Eric Sogard Designated for Assignment, Tyler Saladino reinstated from DL.

djoctagone
Sogard DFA, Villar leading off.... Sad news. More wise middle infield decisions apparently.

Sogard needed to hit, granted, and he needed to impress, but his at bats were not regular or often.. not even 100. I liked his solid contact, ability to work an at bat, and solid d. His skill set was unique to our K/power/questionable defensive players. I thought he made a solid backup and pinch hitter, still. He had his own injury issues not so long ago and I thought he had something left now healthy. Just wasn't impressing enough this year when given limited at bats. Glad Orf is getting a shot, though, and hopes are high that we can have a better unit there second half.

Sad to see a couple of brewerfan.net posters' celebrations of a Brewer likely getting cut and losing a job.... class acts. Even I wouldn't hope that for these posters. Great for these human beings to lose their jobs? Uncalled for by any Brewers fan.

#1 - Saladino is a better hitter and defender than Sogard. Saladino makes Sogard pointless.

#2 - No one is celebrating Sogard the human losing his job.

#3 - He is getting a $2.3 million dollar severance. He'll be okay. You make it sound like his factory got shut down and he's got to come home and figure out how to make the next mortgage payment.

#2 + #3... he isn't losing his job. He's free to accept an assignment to AAA like he did the last time he was DFA'd. And if he plays well he could earn his way back to the 25-man.

And the first time he was sent away, he didn’t even earn his spot back. It happened y default.

"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

Sogard DFA, Villar leading off.... Sad news. More wise middle infield decisions apparently.

Sogard needed to hit, granted, and he needed to impress, but his at bats were not regular or often.. not even 100. I liked his solid contact, ability to work an at bat, and solid d. His skill set was unique to our K/power/questionable defensive players. I thought he made a solid backup and pinch hitter, still. He had his own injury issues not so long ago and I thought he had something left now healthy. Just wasn't impressing enough this year when given limited at bats. Glad Orf is getting a shot, though, and hopes are high that we can have a better unit there second half.

Sad to see a couple of brewerfan.net posters' celebrations of a Brewer likely getting cut and losing a job.... class acts. Even I wouldn't hope that for these posters. Great for these human beings to lose their jobs? Uncalled for by any Brewers fan.

#1 - Saladino is a better hitter and defender than Sogard. Saladino makes Sogard pointless.

#2 - No one is celebrating Sogard the human losing his job.

#3 - He is getting a $2.3 million dollar severance. He'll be okay. You make it sound like his factory got shut down and he's got to come home and figure out how to make the next mortgage payment.

#2 + #3... he isn't losing his job. He's free to accept an assignment to AAA like he did the last time he was DFA'd. And if he plays well he could earn his way back to the 25-man.

Optioned last time....

Sad to see a couple of brewerfan.net posters' celebrations of a Brewer likely getting cut and losing a job.... class acts.

Sogard has made nearly $7 million in his career. I would hope that you wouldn't hope for a poster here to lose their job considering a tiny, tiny percentage of posters here would make that amount of money if they worked 50 years.

Sogard needed to hit, granted, and he needed to impress, but his at bats were not regular or often.. not even 100

At bats tend to get pretty limited when you're hitting an extremely empty sub-0.150 with the opportunities you're given. And he had 113 ABs this year - that's greater than 100.

I liked his solid contact, ability to work an at bat, and solid d. His skill set was unique to our K/power/questionable defensive players.

Don't the Brewers currently have the highest rated defense in all of baseball? I can't imagine how far they'll plummet without a weak-armed, limited-range backup infielder to gobble everything up out there...and Villar sees more pitches per plate appearance

Sogard needed to hit, granted, and he needed to impress, but his at bats were not regular or often.. not even 100

At bats tend to get pretty limited when you're hitting an extremely empty sub-0.150 with the opportunities you're given. And he had 113 ABs this year - that's greater than 100.

I liked his solid contact, ability to work an at bat, and solid d. His skill set was unique to our K/power/questionable defensive players.

Don't the Brewers currently have the highest rated defense in all of baseball? I can't imagine how far they'll plummet without a weak-armed, limited-range backup infielder to gobble everything up out there...and Villar sees more pitches per plate appearance

Plot twist... RickH is actually Eric Sogard.

:rolleyes womp. womp.

He was a negative player for the Brewers and got paid handsomely for it. It is his own doing that he’s no longer a Brewer by not performing.

I still liked Sogard on the team for reasons mentioned for the last week.... hoping he could have had a few more opportunities this season, but I understand the uphill battle for guys like him and the nature of the game to produce lately.

I was glad/relieved when Yost got fired in 2008. I still believe that they don't get in the playoffs without the switch at manager. Yet, there was something human there that said not to celebrate it. He was a player for the team. He was the manager for almost 6 years.

I have wanted Villar gone since 2016 for different reason mentioned, as well. Yet to joy in the day it happens.... ehh, I hope to be more excited for what they have.

:rolleyes womp. womp.

He was a negative player for the Brewers and got paid handsomely for it. It is his own doing that he’s no longer a Brewer by not performing.

I still liked Sogard on the team for reasons mentioned for the last week.... hoping he could have had a few more opportunities this season, but I understand the uphill battle for guys like him and the nature of the game to produce lately.

I was glad/relieved when Yost got fired in 2008. I still believe that they don't get in the playoffs without the switch at manager. Yet, there was something human there that said not to celebrate it. He was a player for the team. He was the manager for almost 6 years.

I have wanted Villar gone since 2016 for different reason mentioned, as well. Yet to joy in the day it happens.... ehh, I hope to be more excited for what they have.

Sound advice says to just show grace or say nothing lest it happen to you. Your Christmas in July remark is strong par for the course, though.

Get over yourself. You’re only ticked off because you decided to die on this hill. They’re baseball players who are rewarded more in their short careers than 95% of other humans. Congrats to them for having the skill set to play this awesome game but I’ll be damned if I don’t shed a tear for a guy making millions even though they suck at what they’re doing currently. I want the Brewers to win. Sogard doesn’t cut it. We have better options. The rest of your posting is to try to drag others down because they’re happy the Brewers finally made the right call. I didn’t hear you coming to Boone Logan’s defense...

"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

Plot twist... RickH is actually Eric Sogard.

I don't think Eric Sogard himself is this salty about his situation TBH. He's going to be fine.

"Counsell is stupid, Hader not used right, Bradley shouldn't have been in the lineup...Brewers win!!" - FVBrewerFan - 6/3/21

Sogard 97 ABs... that's less than 100. Comes out to a little more than 1 a game.

I take last year's stats into account for all players, not just Sogard, especially when we aren't at the break yet. He had more walks than Ks in 2017, had an above avg LD last year and this year, and his OBP of .397 in 2017 was impressive, hot streak withstanding.

CC subbed Sogard often for defensive purposes.

Villar's lack of making good contact skews those P/PA numbers.

Optioned last time....

Is he not free to accept the assignment to AAA?

He is, if the Brewers chose to assign him there and don't simply release him.

It’s not out of the question that he ends up in Colorado Springs, works out his hitting kinks, and returns to Milwaukee in September as a late-inning, left-handed, get on base option.

They're moving on. Otheewise they would have just optioned him again. So either they just decided to move on, or Eric didn't want to go back to the minors again this time which is his right as a veteran. Either way he's not going to Colorado Springs.

That's probably the correct take, but there is also the chance that they'd happily keep him in CS but need to make room on the 40-man roster for Miley, Burnes or a new signing. Some injury-hit team might claim him, but there's a decent chance noone does.

he is a millionaire. cry me a river.

Posted: July 10, 2014, 12:30 AM

PrinceFielderx1 Said:

If the Brewers don't win the division I should be banned. However, they will.

Last visited: September 03, 2014, 7:10 PM

Sogard 97 ABs... that's less than 100. Comes out to a little more than 1 a game.

I take last year's stats into account for all players, not just Sogard, especially when we aren't at the break yet. He had more walks than Ks in 2017, had an above avg LD last year and this year, and his OBP of .397 in 2017 was impressive, hot streak withstanding.

CC subbed Sogard often for defensive purposes.

Villar's lack of making good contact skews those P/PA numbers.

You constantly cite Sogard's 2017 season yet rarely mention the years before of mediocre performance.

Sogard overall graded out slightly negatively as a defender this year. I can't recall very many times at all that Sogard was subbed in for defensive purposes this year. Entering on a double switch is not the same thing.

Villar is a better defender at 2B than Sogard. Saladino is a better defender anywhere, Arcia a vastly better defender at SS and Shaw a better defender at 3rd. Who are all these questionable defensive players that necessitated Sogard's presence?

Archived