Brewer Fanatic

Zach Duke

I'm open to Duke, but moreso as an August target if nobody else grabs him before then...and only for cheap. Having him available in September with expanded rosters could be very beneficial, and potentially playoffs if we make it and pending our roster construction.

I'll also add that I liked Duke over the offseason and wanted us to sign him from the start instead of Logan.

We've already got Jennings who has nearly the same splits/results this season. Jennings has been slightly worse but I'm not going to split hairs on that given the small number of innings that we're talking about.

I'm not sure we need a traditional LOOGY because our bullpen is tasked with too many innings - hard to justify a guy who only faces a batter or two.

Jennings basically is one and will be in the playoffs. He's been tasked with cleaning up the garbage in a blowout in either direction when he isn't getting his LOOGY opportunities and that's why he's been a gas can in a few games when we let him get smoked by righties when the game is out of hand in either direction.

Jennings in "high leverage" or "medium leverage" has a 2.20 ERA this year. In high/medium leverage he has a .90 ERA against only lefties with a .602 OPS against.

He has a 4.10 ERA in low leverage situations (26.1 innings) and it's mostly because we let him get smoked by righties (.965 OPS vs. RH batters in low leverage) when the game is already out of hand.

We've already got Jennings who has nearly the same splits/results this season. Jennings has been slightly worse but I'm not going to split hairs on that given the small number of innings that we're talking about.

I'm not sure we need a traditional LOOGY because our bullpen is tasked with too many innings - hard to justify a guy who only faces a batter or two.

Jennings basically is one and will be in the playoffs. He's been tasked with cleaning up the garbage in a blowout either way when he isn't getting his LOOGY opportunities and that's why he's been a gas can in a few games when we let him get smoked by righties when the game is out of hand in either direction.

Yeah, until the Brewers get Albers back and an 8 man bullpen, they really can't use Jennings as a loogy (like he should be).

Jennings basically is one and will be in the playoffs. He's been tasked with cleaning up the garbage in a blowout either way when he isn't getting his LOOGY opportunities and that's why he's been a gas can in a few games when we let him get smoked by righties when the game is out of hand in either direction.

Yeah, until the Brewers get Albers back and an 8 man bullpen, they really can't use Jennings as a loogy (like he should be).

Keep in mind, we could potentially trade for Duke at a very low cost in August. Even if he doesn't turn out to be a playoff roster spot guy, having him in September could be very valuable. If the cost is a nobody prospect and paying his salary...we should be all over that in August. Could lead to some very obnoxious games where Duke is used as a true LOOGY in September and we make 6 or 7 pitching changes on some days...but if it helps us win we should definitely consider it.

Keep in mind, we could potentially trade for Duke at a very low cost in August. Even if he doesn't turn out to be a playoff roster spot guy, having him in September could be very valuable. If the cost is a nobody prospect and paying his salary...we should be all over that in August. Could lead to some very obnoxious games where Duke is used as a true LOOGY in September and we make 6 or 7 pitching changes on some days...but if it helps us win we should definitely consider it.

Yeah, I'd take him for a nothing prospect and a few innings late in the year.

Devil's advocate: We have guys like Zagurski that are probably fine to face 10-15 lefty hitters (and ONLY lefty hitters) for August/September. It's up to Stearns/Mark to decide whether a million bucks or whatever it is is worth the upgrade for a small number of hitters. The advantage of Duke is he's clearly the better option over guys like Zagurski if we do end up needing him for the playoffs.

Yeah, I'd take him for a nothing prospect and a few innings late in the year.

Devil's advocate: We have guys like Zagurski that are probably fine to face 10-15 lefty hitters (and ONLY lefty hitters) for August/September. It's up to Stearns/Mark to decide whether a million bucks or whatever it is is worth the upgrade for a small number of hitters. The advantage of Duke is he's clearly the better option over guys like Zagurski if we do end up needing him for the playoffs.

Right. And maybe someone pays more. But he isn't likely to be a high priority for any team. Maybe he sneaks under the radar a bit and we can nab him in mid-late August. Just something to monitor. I don't think he should be a deadline deal that we give up a back end of the top 30 guy and cement into the core of the bullpen.

Archived