Brewer Fanatic

Something to make everyone take a moment ...

The Brewers get to hang a banner for eternity.

Hanging a 2008 Wild Card banner is akin to the Bucks hanging their hats on all the 6-8 seeds they've accumulated.

6-8 seeds in the nba playoffs are often teams with a sub .500 record so I don’t exactly agree. Much easier to make the playoffs in the nba.

The memories of CC were well worth it.
"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

You make that trade 10 times out of 10.

What you don't do is mess up your subsequent draft picks as badly as they have.

Yup, of all the mistakes we have done in the past costing us after the fact it goes like this:

-Drafting like we are picking names out of a hat

(Endless space)

-Sabathia trade and everything else.

ccwinner_med.jpg

The CC trade was a lot of prospect capital given up for a partial season, but man what a ride.

This picture is exactly what I had in my mind. I’ll never forget that feeling. Chills.

"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

ccwinner_med.jpg

The CC trade was a lot of prospect capital given up for a partial season, but man what a ride.

This picture is exactly what I had in my mind. I’ll never forget that feeling. Chills.

It was the first & only thing your post made me visualize

Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

Born in '84. Laid in bed hours after I was suppose to be asleep with a little handheld radio held to my ear listening to Robin hit his 3,000th when I was 7. Took a bat and glove out with me to my backyard on COUNTLESS number of summer nights to act out live whatever Uecker was painting before I was 10. Signed up for summer rec league when I was 12 simply because I knew they were going to two games that summer and I would be allowed to go. SCRAMBLED as a junior in high school to the football locker room on the first day of varsity practice to claim the jersey number I wanted... Guys wanted 20 for Barry Sanders, 4 for Favre, 92 for Reggie. 50 for Singletary. I took 19 for The Kid. Spent a million minutes talking to my father over those years about how Sheets, Jenkins, Eldred, Listach, Cirillo, (insert name of any player here that showed promise) was going to be the guy to get us over the hump.

I would do that trade again 100 out of 100 times.

CC's game logs for the 2008 season. Even if you loved that second half & feel like you remember it well, just go back & look through these.

https://www.baseball-reference.com/players/gl.fcgi?id=sabatc.01&t=p&year=2008

Imagine being able to add a performer like this in 2018. :indifferent

The thread starter is correct. Losing Zach Jackson and Rob Bryson is what set the Brewers back for years. If they were around, we wouldn't have made the Greinke and Marcum trades.

I actually agree with the overall premise he posted. The counter-argument being the Brewers probably could've gotten a good young SP with lots of team salary control.

CC having a historically good second half of the season makes it easy to say it was worth it, but at the time the package we sent contained a lot of value.

CC threw 3 COMPLETE GAMES for the Brew Crew that July before the trade deadline even arrived.

For a frame of reference, the 2018 Brewers pitching staff has thrown exactly ZERO complete games so far.

CC threw 3 COMPLETE GAMES for the Brew Crew that July before the trade deadline even arrived.

For a frame of reference, the 2018 Brewers pitching staff has thrown exactly ZERO complete games so far.

Complete games have become a super-rarity these days, period. There have been only 24 thrown this year in all of baseball, with just 5 in the NL. There are 15 teams that don't have one this year.

That doesn't underscore how super valuable a complete game was and is for an entire pitching staff, especially in a pennant race.

Since a very average Solomon Torres was our closer that Fall, not having to rely on the bullpen for those wins was more than a luxury for that team where every single win was essential to end our playoff drought.

That doesn't underscore how super valuable a complete game was and is for an entire pitching staff, especially in a pennant race.

Sabathia had 7 CGs for the Brewers after the trade, and that led the NL that year. He had 10 total for the season, which was the most in baseball. Sheets was second in the NL with 5. They rode Sabathia to the playoffs, but he was pretty much out of gas for the postseason. He threw over 100 pitches in 29 of his 35 starts that year, and had over 120 in 4 Milwaukee starts, the pinnacle being the 130 pitch count game vs. Houston, a game which Yost let him finish, despite a 6-1 lead after 5, and an eventual 9-3 win. I remember CC laboring in that 9th inning.

The game has definitely changed for all teams in the 10 years since though. It's all about bullpen arms these days, and you're ecstatic if your starter goes 6. Wouldn't surprise me at all for Milwaukee to wind up with a goose egg in the CG column by season's end.

Great post, I couldn't agree more. The teams dishing out the prospects have tended to lose trades over the last 10-15 years. I get that Degrom, Thor, Realmuto have more than half a season of team control, but some of the prospect packages that people are willing to offer seem insane.

I agree...and would like to add that this makes the Yelich trade look just that much better. I think Brinson is gonna be a star, but I always thought it'd take him maybe 1000 PA's before he reached his upside. Well, instead you get a guy you don't have to hope is a star and you get him for 5 years?

A steal by Stearns. And I like all three guys you've mentioned, but I think for the first time in a while we've got a legit lock in our system to be a star(or as close as you can get to one in Hiura). I can't see us getting any of those three without giving him up.

I still want an explanation from the official scorer in Pittsburgh that robbed CC of a no-hitter when he bobbled the ball multiple times but it was ruled a hit.

This.

Not many balls picked up bare handed are errors. Can you think of any off hand?

The question is.... does fielding it with a hand or glove make a difference in terms of an error? For instance, if a slow tapper to the third baseman is fielded with his bare hand and missed, it is always a hit. If he tries to glove the same ball instead and it goes off the side of his glove, he might get an error.

Archived