Brewer Fanatic

Selling high...

If the Brewers were to acquire a TOR starter from a “selling” team might the Brewers consider selling high on a pitcher to a “buying” AL team who is trying to win this year? Chacin or Guerra as candidates? The idea with this is to still improve your team, this year and going forward, while replenishing yourself with some lottery tickets to help offset what you are giving up to get that TOR starter.

I think I'd rather have 6-7 decent starters below the top guy to choose from than to start trading away from a position where we finally have some decent depth.

I 100% agree with this, for this year. I am thinking of things starting next year since I don’t truly believe we have enough to contend for a World Series this year. Next year we have Nelson back to go along with a healthy Davies. Adding a TOR (Thor or Stroman) guy along with a guy like Peralta could make for a VERY nice rotation next year, with depth (Anderson, Suter). Just trying to figure a way to sell high on some guys who may have value this year before they possibly regress next year.

I’d say after the season yes. Definitely try to move Chacin and/or Guerra to try to restock the system. Assuming Burnes and Peralta are traded for Syndergaard my reasoning is simple: Syndergaard, Woodruff, Chacin, Guerra, Suter, Anderson, Nelson, Davies. That’s 8 pitchers more than capable of starting games, 9 if Burnes and Peralta are still here. Woodruff May never even get a real chance at this point. Depth is fine but it wouldn’t be the worst idea to try to sell high and Guerra or Chacin.

Archived