Brewer Fanatic

Brian Dozier

• Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I don't know if we need both. Unless saledino or Miller are going to be sent packing. Maybe throw in Villar to clear up the log jam. Rentals are not ideal especially since our playoff odds are in the tank.

You so know they still are the top of the wild card race and only 3.5 back. This is why you make a move and not sit back

I don't know if we need both. Unless saledino or Miller are going to be sent packing. Maybe throw in Villar to clear up the log jam. Rentals are not ideal especially since our playoff odds are in the tank.

Miller, Saladino, Villar, etc...are serviceable. But these aren't guys we want playing on a winning team. All of these guys will be bench/utility types next year anyways when Arcia/Dubon/Hiura reach the majors. Dozier and Escobar are significantly better than Miller/Villar. And trading for these 2 theoretically bridges us to the future...which is those 3 in the middle infield hopefully by mid-May next year.

If we trade Domingo Santana for rentals...no just no. We can not possibly just give up on Santana like that.

Both would help a lot so a deal around Ortiz and some lesser pieces is fine. I doubt they want our trash (Saladino and Miller). If they want Miller have at it, but they already had the chance.

Rosenthal mentioned that one team(he suspects the Brewers) inquired about getting both Escobar and Dozier. We certainly are the most logical team to target both. Would you all give up Ortiz for both guys? The Twins need pitching bad, the only way they combine both is if they get a better prospect back than either guy would get individually. I think most of that value is for Escobar as he'll be more coveted, and I doubt Escobar would get someone like Ortiz on his own.
I'm pretty leery on Escobar. Beyond this being his best offensive season by a country mile so far, he looks like a very streaky hitter (even this season). And I'm not sure if he can hold his own defensively at SS.

I'd like to see how close Villar for Dozier would be as a starting point. If the Twins wanted more, I'd be willing to add as long as Escobar was included. But I wouldn't give up an Ortiz -- and I'm fine with selling off Ortiz in the right deal.

Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

Brewer Fanatic Contributor
Yeah, I want Dozier more than most but I wouldn't want to deal Ortiz or Phillips. I really think the prospect(s) end up more in the Grisham, Gatewood, Ponce, Diplan, Supak, etc tier

I like Dozier too, but is his value really that much higher than Neil Walker's was last year? Walker was having a better year, and was acquired for a spare part minor league reliever. There may be more competition for Dozier, and he has more name recognition, but I can't imagine that the return for him is going to be hugely significant. There is no way one of Ortiz or Phillips goes back for Dozier, much less both.

Machado was a special case, because he's Many Machado. He's the type of bat that totally remakes your lineup. You pay for guys like that, even short-term. Brian Dozier is a decent bat, but he's not that.

Escobar splits

Month / BA / OPS

April / .301 / .926

May / .241 / .731

June / .293 / .945

July / .254 / .725

Yep. And it's not that I want to preach about streakiness, because all hitters are, at least to an extent. My concern with Escobar is that he's never been more that a so-so bat, & so far this career season is two red hot months & two underwhelming ones. I don't know if we'd be paying for good production, or if he'd be back to a low to mid .700s OPS the rest of the way.

If we'd be getting his career slash line of about a .300 OBP & low .400s SLG, then when you factor in defense, I'm not sure he's an upgrade over Saladino

Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

Yeah, I want Dozier more than most but I wouldn't want to deal Ortiz or Phillips. I really think the prospect(s) end up more in the Grisham, Gatewood, Ponce, Diplan, Supak, etc tier

I like Dozier too, but is his value really that much higher than Neil Walker's was last year? Walker was having a better year, and was acquired for a spare part minor league reliever. There may be more competition for Dozier, and he has more name recognition, but I can't imagine that the return for him is going to be hugely significant. There is no way one of Ortiz or Phillips goes back for Dozier, much less both.

Machado was a special case, because he's Many Machado. He's the type of bat that totally remakes your lineup. You pay for guys like that, even short-term. Brian Dozier is a decent bat, but he's not that.

Walker was coming off injury and extremely expensive. I believe he had accepted his QO so was getting like 16 or 17 million. Even that month and a half cost us probably 4 million. There also happened to be basically zero need for 2b around the league.

That said, Dozier falls into a similar boat. Very few teams are looking for 2b help if any. I've kinda beaten that to death at this point. There are also at least 4 or 5 very solid 2b options. Dozier is the best/established guy and the biggest name, but not by all that much. Other guys are having very good seasons as well.

If we trade Domingo Santana for rentals...no just no. We can not possibly just give up on Santana like that.

Both would help a lot so a deal around Ortiz and some lesser pieces is fine. I doubt they want our trash (Saladino and Miller). If they want Miller have at it, but they already had the chance.

Stearns couldn't find a buyer for Santana after he posted an .875 OPS last year. He's arby eligible this winter too. His value is pretty low and since there's nowhere to play him with Thames in the OF, it's not going to get any higher.

I assume this issue is, if you aren't sending over substantial prospects, Minnesota has no motivation to do anything until the drop dead date. They might as well wait to see if they win five in a row and Cleveland loses five in a row or there is an injury that would bump up the price of their middle infielders.

Would be nice to get a hitter sooner than later. Not that Dozier has started hitting yet (still cold last two weeks). Escobar is still hot.

Get someone.

Jon Morosi

@jonmorosi

#Brewers, #Twins already discussing the Minnesota infielders, and Twins RHP Kyle Gibson could be included if a larger deal materializes. Gibson has thrown 7+ IP in six of his last 10 starts -- the sort of reliability the #Brewers need right now. @MLB @MLBNetwork

2:51 PM - 25 Jul 2018

Jon Morosi

@jonmorosi

#Brewers, #Twins already discussing the Minnesota infielders, and Twins RHP Kyle Gibson could be included if a larger deal materializes. Gibson has thrown 7+ IP in six of his last 10 starts -- the sort of reliability the #Brewers need right now. @MLB @MLBNetwork

Very interesting. I wonder if this hasn’t been in the works for a while with the two IF taken out of a game recently. Now with our lack of starting pitching it makes sense to expand a deal.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor
Jon Morosi

@jonmorosi

I was actually wondering if they might try to get Gibson and Dozier in a deal. Gibson is controllable through next season. Cost would be significantly higher, but he would shore up the rotation.

Archived