Brewer Fanatic

Brian Dozier

Brewer Fanatic Contributor
Dozier would be nice, but don't you feel he's going to be overvalued based on his 2016-2017 seasons, which were outliers in his career?

I think you hope he gets close to those nbers while trying to buy low based on his bad first half.

"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

• Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Hard pass. Hiura can be better than Dozier the rest of this year and he costs nothing

That, and this guy Brad Miller seems to be OK. When Saladino comes back he will start at SS and Miller will take over 2B. No need to give away assets for something you already have.

I'd rather invest those assets in other areas (SS, C, SP).

Update. Brad Miller not okay.

Dozier would be...meh. Okay, but probably not a needle mover, or at least significantly.

I disagree. According to Fangraphs we have the second worst WAR at the 2B position. The Twins have the second best and Dozier is a huge reason why.

I'll be thrilled if we get Dozier. There's a decent chance he matches Machado's 2nd half offensive production and his defense is better (at a less challenging position). Escobar has been great for the Twins, but Dozier's track record is much more extensive. Hoping Cleveland starts the 2nd half hot and the Twins struggle a bit as I'm worried the Twins are just close enough in the division that they won't want to trade guys away.

Those are my thoughts as well. 7.5 back at the all-star game isn't a huge hole. Although, I have to believe that Cleveland will eventually pull away with that division.

Hard pass. Hiura can be better than Dozier the rest of this year and he costs nothing

Why does everyone assume Hiura is guaranteed success in the MLB? He is only in AA and has struggled recently. Yes, he was injured but he still needs time to hone his craft. He is the best bat we have had since Braun but he is only one year removed from college. Even Braun spent the first two years in the minors. I see Hiura in AAA to finish the year and possibly take a hold of the position next year, but to insert him into the MLB lineup right now would be detrimental to his development.

Renting a Dozier works out perfectly...if the Twins are selling.

For the cost, give me Dozier every day over Merrifield. I’m guessing we could get him for a back end top 30 guy that would potentially be a rule 5 casualty in the offseason ala Ryan Cordell.
"I wish him the best. I hope he finds peace and happiness in his life and is able to enjoy his life. I wish him the best." - Ryan Braun on Kirk Gibson 6/17/14

For the cost, give me Dozier every day over Merrifield. I’m guessing we could get him for a back end top 30 guy that would potentially be a rule 5 casualty in the offseason ala Ryan Cordell.

I think you are underestimating Dozier's value and the number of teams that would by vying for his services. I think it will cost much less than what Machado went for but I don't see a package like Phillips/Supak/(insert low level arm here) as out of the questions. Twins aren't in a rebuild so they will probably want something MLB ready or close to in return.

how many positions does he play?

Posted: July 10, 2014, 12:30 AM

PrinceFielderx1 Said:

If the Brewers don't win the division I should be banned. However, they will.

Last visited: September 03, 2014, 7:10 PM

Ken Rosenthal of The Athletic reports that the Brewers could target Brian Dozier in trade talks.

The Brewers were involved in the Manny Machado sweepstakes, but ultimately couldn't offer -- or wouldn't offer -- what the Dodgers were willing to procure the services of the All-Star shortstop. Dozier started slow, but he's been excellent as of late, and the second baseman has 16 homers and 48 RBI over 93 games with the Twins. He could give the Milwaukee lineup a big boost, and shouldn't have near the cost Machado did. Rosenthal also mentions that the Brewers could look for pitching help, and they should have enough in the system to explore both.

Source: Ken Rosenthal on Twitter

Jul 18 - 8:27 PM

"I'm sick of runnin' from these wimps!" Ajax - The WARRIORS

The primary driver in the return for Dozier will be his market. I don't see many teams in need of 2b. Cleveland is the only team that jumps out at me with a potential need there, but do they really give up on Kipnis? Dozier is a logical fit for us. He'll certainly cost more than Walker, I suspect we wont have to offer much more than a comp pick value to get him.

The primary driver in the return for Dozier will be his market. I don't see many teams in need of 2b. Cleveland is the only team that jumps out at me with a potential need there, but do they really give up on Kipnis? Dozier is a logical fit for us. He'll certainly cost more than Walker, I suspect we wont have to offer much more than a comp pick value to get him.

Indians could also acquire a 3b and play Ramirez at 2b which opens up their options a little.

Red Sox too if they've lost faith in Pedroia returning. Diamondbacks mayyyyybeee.

Ultimately there are 2 starting caliber rental 2b out there between Dozier and Cabrera and ~3-4 contending teams who could use one. The Brewers need to come away with one of them.

Problem is timing. Twins will likely wait to last minute, and Brewers can't wait given their schedule the remainder of July.

Of course they can. No need to make a panic move at this point.

but it's not like every guy suddenly forgot every piece of advice he gave

Just saw this in today's MLBTR chat with Jeffrey Todd:

Kirby

3:55 Could we get one of the Brewers top pitching prospects for Dozier?

Jeffrey Todd

3:56 Of course, he's also seeming limited to playing on the right side of the infield and is a not-super-cheap rental player. So I wouldn't go wild with expectations.

I would puke if the brewers give up Peralta, Burnes or Brown for Dozier.....Medieros...maybe...

Just saw this in today's MLBTR chat with Jeffrey Todd:

Kirby

3:55 Could we get one of the Brewers top pitching prospects for Dozier?

Jeffrey Todd

3:56 Of course, he's also seeming limited to playing on the right side of the infield and is a not-super-cheap rental player. So I wouldn't go wild with expectations.

I would puke if the brewers give up Peralta, Burnes or Brown for Dozier.....Medieros...maybe...

Dude.....if they didn't give up Burnes/Peralta for Machado they sure as hell aren't giving either of them up for Dozier.

Breathe easy

Would you guys send Ray and a lottery ticket for Dozier?

I think that would be about the correct value... but would YOU do it?

I'm torn.. because I want to believe he would have a big second half,.. but worry about his poor first half....

I'm torn.. because I want to believe he would have a big second half,.. but worry about his poor first half....

I would be torn because I think Ray could be on the verge of reestablishing himself as a top-flight OF prospect. If he gets promoted to Colorado Springs, it wouldn't surprise me to see his offensive numbers soar. I know the numbers would be aided by playing in Colorado, but if they are looking to maximize Ray's trade value, it wouldn't hurt.

Nope.

but it's not like every guy suddenly forgot every piece of advice he gave

No, absolutely no chance.

Ray is more valuable than Dozier. Pass.

If I'm the Brewers, I am not trading these players for Dozier: Hiura, Burnes, Woodruff, Phillips, Ortiz, Lutz, Peralta, Ray, Erceg, Dubon, Nottingham, Woodruff, Houser, Medeiros, Brown. I may be forgetting a few others as well.

Ray is more valuable than Dozier. Pass.

I agree. I could, however, see someone like Ponce or Supak for Dozier. Not as much upside, but a potential workhorse #3-4 still carries good value.

Archived