Brewer Fanatic

Brian Dozier

We seem to be collecting 2B, so how about trading for Brian Dozier? I'm sure the Twins would deal him as they're quickly falling out of the division race and the wild card. He'd be a half year rental, but that's alright with me since Hiura could theoretically be ready next year. Dozier's numbers aren't great this year, but they are still better than what we've gotten out of 2B and if I remember correctly Dozier has a tendency to play better in the 2nd half than early in the year.

• Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Dozier seems to have the potential for huge positive regression:

2018: .221/.311/.397/.708

2017: .271/.359/.498/.856

2016: .268/.340/.546/.886

I think the slash lines actually underestimate his value as he fills up all the counting stat categories as well. He clearly hasn't hit as good as Machado this year, but those are Machado type numbers that would likely come at a fraction of the prospect cost.

Dozier is only for 1/2 a season, so it may be great this year, but we would be stuck with no 2B for the future.
"I'm sick of runnin' from these wimps!" Ajax - The WARRIORS

Yeah, I think Dozier would be a bridge to Hiura. As many have detailed in other threads, the organization might not be ready to go to Hiura yet from a defense, health, and service time perspective. This would give shore up a lineup spot for this year without throwing off the long-term plan.

I'm not sure how realistic this is, but would you trade Dozier for Villar straight up? Minnesota has a fairly solid team and may find value in players at the MLB level, moreso than the Rays/Royals/Tigers type teams

Without even having to think about it, YES, 100% YES!

I'm not sure how realistic this is, but would you trade Dozier for Villar straight up? Minnesota has a fairly solid team and may find value in players at the MLB level, moreso than the Rays/Royals/Tigers type teams

Do you think it makes sense from Minnesota's perspective? I guess that may depend on the other offers. I have to imagine a Corey Ray or Zack Brown might be the best prospect the Twins could get for Dozier, they may prefer Villar. I really think MLB ready talent or very upper levels of the minors talent makes more sense for the Twins than someone like(theoretically) Lutz or Henry...a lower minors player, even if the ceiling is lower.

Dozier seems to have the potential for huge positive regression:

2018: .221/.311/.397/.708

2017: .271/.359/.498/.856

2016: .268/.340/.546/.886

I think the slash lines actually underestimate his value as he fills up all the counting stat categories as well. He clearly hasn't hit as good as Machado this year, but those are Machado type numbers that would likely come at a fraction of the prospect cost.

Dozier, at least for the last two years, turns it on in the 2nd half of the year. 2016 he had 28HRs and an OPS of .990 in the 2nd half. Last year he hit 21HRs with an OPS of .985 in the second half. This isn't something I would like to bank on, but he literally becomes one of the best players in the second half.

Hard pass. Hiura can be better than Dozier the rest of this year and he costs nothing

I believe Dozier would only be targeted if there was a corresponding move that would send Hiura somewhere. If the Brewers believe they are a contender this year, they need to acquire a TOR SP which won’t occur (most likely) without moving Hiura. Acquiring a TOR SP while trotting out Villar/Miller/Perez at 2B, would seem awfully shortsighted.

If the Brewers don’t acquire a TOR SP, there really is no reason to use assets to acquire Dozier because 2018 will not be their year.

Even if Hiura would be better than Dozier ROS (which I doubt), it doesn't cost nothing. It accrues service time and if he ends up being the player we think he is we'll have one less year of control with him. I'm ok with this if we don't have a better option at 2B, but a Dozier type move seems like the best of both worlds. I wonder if a Gatewood or Phillips type would get the deal done. I'd rather give up a couple of prospect from that tier than a Zach Brown type.

Twins would prefer quantity over quality in terms of prospects. However, a decision has to be made on whether Miller's defensive deficiencies will be allowed at shortstop. Otherwise he may the full-time 2B.

Two things: 1) The fissure on this board that would be caused by trading Hiura would be unlike anything we have seen here. Just saying. It seems a large portion of people would denounce their fandom and a large portion want the TOR starter for the push. I'm preparing for it. 2) I like Brett Phillips but if we are going to be making a move for a Dozier type ... Phillips is the perfect guy to headline the deal. The Brewers have limited to no outfield spots available at the big league level for the next 2 or 3 seasons if you are penciling in Aguilar full time at 1B ... Phillips is a guy who should still interest teams to gamble on.

Hard pass. Hiura can be better than Dozier the rest of this year and he costs nothing

That, and this guy Brad Miller seems to be OK. When Saladino comes back he will start at SS and Miller will take over 2B. No need to give away assets for something you already have.

I'd rather invest those assets in other areas (SS, C, SP).

Two things: 1) The fissure on this board that would be caused by trading Hiura would be unlike anything we have seen here.

Hahaha well said and I think you're right. Gonna obviously depend on who we get too.

I think you are on to something here. I know the Brewers would likely do it given Dozier is the better player, but I think the Twins would as well. They are having a down year after a playoff season last year and really don’t need to rebuild. Getting a major leaguer with team control for Dozier makes sense.

Dozier happens to be my favorite target for a bat and if coupled with a move for an Ace, the Brewers may find themselves playing deep into October.

I like Dozier, but the target from the Twins should be Escobar. The versatility, production, and switch hitting he provides would be invaluable.

100% on Escobar. I’ve been pounding that drum for a few weeks now. He’d fit perfectly Into this roster.

I think you are on to something here. I know the Brewers would likely do it given Dozier is the better player, but I think the Twins would as well. They are having a down year after a playoff season last year and really don’t need to rebuild. Getting a major leaguer with team control for Dozier makes sense.

The Twins may take Villar back, but I assume you are also tossing in more if you are the Brewers.

Wouldn't the Twins just keep him for the comp pick if that is the best they can do in the trade? Or are we thinking his down season will continue and the Twins won't QO?

The Twins may take Villar back, but I assume you are also tossing in more if you are the Brewers.

Wouldn't the Twins just keep him for the comp pick if that is the best they can do in the trade? Or are we thinking his down season will continue and the Twins won't QO?

I think if you dangled a $17M QO in front of Dozier, there's a pretty good chance he takes it.

Villar straight up would be somewhat similar to when we traded them one year of JJ Hardy for Carlos Gomez, who they had soured on but was attractive to us given the team control and talent he had.

Gruber Lawffices

Archived