Brewer Fanatic

#FreeNateOrf purchased from AAA; Franklin to 60-day DL and Wilkerson optioned (2018 Thread)

markedman5
  • Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm not expecting miracles from Orf, but what I do like is the .388 (.393 if including winter league) OBP that he has. Who knows how it'll translate to the majors, but it's 100+ points better than Perez/Arcia have been this year. In case of Perez, it's even 100 points above his career numbers. And in case anyone was wondering, Perez had a .308 OBP in the minors.

Plus, I love underdogs. Undrafted free agents making it to the majors is great to see.

I'm not expecting miracles from Orf, but what I do like is the .388 (.393 if including winter league) OBP that he has. Who knows how it'll translate to the majors, but it's 100+ points better than Perez/Arcia have been this year. In case of Perez, it's even 100 points above his career numbers. And in case anyone was wondering, Perez had a .308 OBP in the minors.

Plus, I love underdogs. Undrafted free agents making it to the majors is great to see.

Great vision on the base paths too. 20/21 on stolen base attempts this year in Colorado Springs.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor

Milwaukee Journal Sentinel: Here's the origin of #FreeNateOrf

https://jsonl.in/2KOmhgu

"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

So apparently I was the origin of the #FreeNateOrf hashtag. Thanks to JR for a)figuring this out and b)talking to me about it, and about Nate.

What are you going to do with all that internet money they gave you for the interview?

So apparently I was the origin of the #FreeNateOrf hashtag. Thanks to JR for a)figuring this out and b)talking to me about it, and about Nate.

That was the first Twitter hashtag use. But who was the first person here to say, "Free Nate Orf"? I tried the Search function, but only goes back a little over a year.

Got in late night and watched the game highlights and to say the Orf HR was special is an understatement. From the fans, to the team reactions after he got to the dugout, that was a moment that should give anyone who has played or a fan of this game the warm fuzzies!

Got in late night and watched the game highlights and to say the Orf HR was special is an understatement. From the fans, to the team reactions after he got to the dugout, that was a moment that should give anyone who has played or a fan of this game the warm fuzzies!

Moments like that are one of the reasons I love sports. No doubt Orf inspired every minor league player out there who's not considered a prospect. If you're playing professionally and you produce and force an organization to keep you around long enough that eventually they take notice, then there's a chance slim though it is.

• 11 months later...

He's probably the 5th best 2B option for the Brewers this year...on just their AAA affiliate. Hiura, Saladino, Dubon, and Spangenberg are all better.

So, nope.

Doesn't that make it a bit more maddening that Shaw is still in the lineup swinging through fastballs down the middle...considering all those options.

He's probably the 5th best 2B option for the Brewers this year...on just their AAA affiliate. Hiura, Saladino, Dubon, and Spangenberg are all better.

So, nope.

Doesn't that make it a bit more maddening that Shaw is still in the lineup swinging through fastballs down the middle...considering all those options.

Nope.

"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

Being mad that Shaw is playing over Keston Hiura is legitimate. Being mad that he is playing over Nate Orf is not.

Nate Orf is a great story and I'm glad he had a signature moment to tell his kids about one day. But that's as far as it goes. He's just not an MLB level player.

Being mad that Shaw is playing over Keston Hiura is legitimate. Being mad that he is playing over Nate Orf is not.

Nate Orf is a great story and I'm glad he had a signature moment to tell his kids about one day. But that's as far as it goes. He's just not an MLB level player.

Right now, a cardboard cutout would provide about 80% of the production that Shaw is providing. I assume neither of you are watching the games, and watching him swing through fastball after fastball down the middle. He hits maybe 1 out 10 fastballs down the middle, and 1 very long hr a week and he gets a pass from you guys. Shaw has an option, and there's a perfectly good environment called triple a for him to work through his mechanical issues.

Spangenberg, Saladino, and Dubon are better options than Shaw right now. All 3 are varying degrees of better defenders at 2b than Moose(Moose shifts to 3b and is equal to Shaw defensively), and all would hit much better than Shaw right now. Also Perez should be starting agianst both RH and LH over Shaw right now.

He hits maybe 1 out 10 fastballs down the middle, and 1 very long hr a week and he gets a pass from you guys.

So saying a scrub like Nate Orf shouldn't be playing over Shaw means we're giving Shaw a pass? Nobody thinks Shaw should be starting right now.

He hits maybe 1 out 10 fastballs down the middle, and 1 very long hr a week and he gets a pass from you guys.

So saying a scrub like Nate Orf shouldn't be playing over Shaw means we're giving Shaw a pass? Nobody thinks Shaw should be starting right now.

At least one person on this forum does, scroll up a couple posts.

Maybe I'm in the wrong thread, I tend to agree that Orf probably isn't the guy that should be starting...but he's a better option than Shaw. That said, there are 3-4 better options than Orf so he shouldn't be picked.

I'm not getting into whether or not Shaw starts, but I'm fine that he is. He hit .862 and .825 the last two years. Not for couple months, two entire seasons. So yea, if they want to give him a long leash I get it. Shaw at his normal .850 is much better than any of the AAA guys, except maybe Hiura. And I'm not even coynting him, he's back up soon regardless of Shaw.

Just option him to AAA!!! Maybe that hurts more than it helps. I will trust the coaching staff who has all the facts vs all of us bozos on the internet. At this point Im guessing they ride him through the break.

Archived