Brewer Fanatic

#FreeNateOrf purchased from AAA; Franklin to 60-day DL and Wilkerson optioned (2018 Thread)

markedman5
Start him at 2B and lead him off.... right into the fire

Given the expectations, he needs to be batting at the bottom of the order if he starts, and that's OK. If we're giving him extra ABs over Yelich (if healthy), Cain (if healthy), Thames, Shaw, Aguilar, Braun, etc. we're doing it wrong.

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Why? So he can stand out in RF, play marginal defense and not hit for any power while showing horrendous plate discipline? Perez can do that.

Santana has done absolutely nothing to deserve being called back up. I wonder if Cain comes off the DL this week if they consider giving either him 0r Broxton some time in RF?

Well he is only 200 plate appearances removed from a 126wRC+ and 30 home runs. That may still have some predictive value....

But not Nottingham. Makes perfect sense.
"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

Nottingham is K-ing 5x more than walking. Projection systems have him basically matching Pina’s production. He is not ready and he isn’t a clear upgrade, but he is different, so there is that.

Nottingham is K-ing 5x more than walking. Projection systems have him basically matching Pina’s production. He is not ready and he isn’t a clear upgrade, but he is different, so there is that.

Whether or not Nottingham is ready, I can assure you that you may as well throw any projections on Nottingham straight in the garbage. All those projections are generally worthless for young players.

Nottingham is probably very close to a callup. At the same time, if we were talking with the Marlins about a Realmuto trade in which Nottingham is involved...we wouldn't want to send him up to MLB to potentially struggle and potentially hurt his value.

Going to be an interesting month...

My guess is that Santana is back up for Yelich (DL).

Why? So he can stand out in RF, play marginal defense and not hit for any power while showing horrendous plate discipline? Perez can do that.

He must have really worked on his defense if it's become marginal! :laughing

Brewer Fanatic Contributor
My guess is that Santana is back up for Yelich (DL).

I originally had "bad", but figured I'd be kind. I'll say he has looked better on defense this year compared to last year.

Whether or not Nottingham is ready, I can assure you that you may as well throw any projections on Nottingham straight in the garbage. All those projections are generally worthless for young players.

Nottingham is probably very close to a callup. At the same time, if we were talking with the Marlins about a Realmuto trade in which Nottingham is involved...we wouldn't want to send him up to MLB to potentially struggle and potentially hurt his value.

Going to be an interesting month...

Projections can be pretty spot on for guys coming up when you look at things like K/BB%, actually. The problem is Colorado Springs (and PCL).

A guy that was hitting somewhere in the mid .200s most of his way through the minors and striking out 30% of the time in the higher levels is now a .308 hitter with a .410 BABIP at Colorado Springs all while still striking out a lot against AAA pitching...that means you can probably throw out the batting average numbers of Colorado Springs. He still is striking out a ton.

And I think that's all fine for Nottingham. As a catcher, a low/mid .200 average with decent OBP for that and a good amount of power is totally fine. But I'll agree with the sentiment that he's not a huge upgrade from Pina (yet) with that.

Super happy he’s finally getting his chance, also saw that former Brewer Michael Reed was called up by Atlanta today, he’s having a huge year in the minors and I always wished success for him.

I know that no corresponding move has been made yet but what is the holdup with putting Nick Franklin on the 60 day DL? He was injured May 8th so even if he started a minor league rehab assignment today he will hit 60 days.

I originally had "bad", but figured I'd be kind. I'll say he has looked better on defense this year compared to last year.

Below average, but Santana has looked twice as good in the OF this year compared to last year. More confidence going forward on balls whether on the fly or hit on ground.

Franklin to the 60 day DL definitely makes the most sense. We'll need Sogard as a back-up SS until Saldino returns. I hope 2B in AAA opening up means Hiura will be getting a promotion as well. Either gets him one step closer to the majors or gives him the opportunity to rack up some huge numbers hitting in Colorado and increase his trade value.

I know that no corresponding move has been made yet but what is the holdup with putting Nick Franklin on the 60 day DL? He was injured May 8th so even if he started a minor league rehab assignment today he will hit 60 days.

I assume they may feel they can DFA before 60 days would be up (hence save money). I assume if you are healthy enough to rehab assignment, you are healthy enough to get DFA'd, right?

Nick Franklin officially moved to the 60 day DL to make room for Orf

Franklin has got to think he hit the jackpot.... collecting an MLB paycheck for doing absolutely nothing.

#itstillhurts

He was a first round pick in 2009 so he shouldn't be poor. He has 2.147 years of service time according to B-R.com; figuring a minimum salary of $500K and a signing bonus of ~$1M when he was drafted, he's made about $2M playing pro ball, or an average of a little over $200K/year.

Nick Franklin officially moved to the 60 day DL to make room for Orf

Franklin has got to think he hit the jackpot.... collecting an MLB paycheck for doing absolutely nothing.

#itstillhurts

He was a first round pick in 2009 so he shouldn't be poor. He has 2.147 years of service time according to B-R.com; figuring a minimum salary of $500K and a signing bonus of ~$1M when he was drafted, he's made about $2M playing pro ball, or an average of a little over $200K/year.

Which is all really sad, because he stinks.

Cant wait to see him and Sogard get DFA'd. Zigurski and his career 7.00+ ERA can go too....

Great to see Orf get his chance. After tailing off for a month or so, he's been raking again the last 10 days or so with 2 HR just yesterday. Brewers need offense. Even though they split, the Reds, a last place team, had much the more fearsome lineup especially without Cain and Yelich. I personally don't think he'll be in over his head, even though he's only 5'8". He was undrafted out of Baylor. That he's made it this far speaks volumes.

Per TomH
Nate Orf said was offered $1,000 to sign as undrafted free agent. He said, "I will sign for Snickers bar." Next thing he knew, offer dropped to $500.
"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

Archived