Brewer Fanatic

Jon Gray

Community Moderator

The Rockies recently optioned Jon Gray to Triple-A. Despite an ugly ERA Gray’s peripherals remain fairly strong. There appear to some fluky elements to his struggles this season, although there has been a velocity dip in his most recent starts. I am curious if the Rockies would be willing to listen to offers for Gray? I have a feeling he would still cost plenty because I doubt the Rockies are ready to give up on his talent. I do think he could be a Gerrit Cole-type candidate for a resurgence with a change of scenery.

Curious what others think of Jon Gray?

If the Rockies fall out of things and are willing to consider offers I think he could be a sneaky good acquisition that would be under control for 3.5 more years without costing the Brewers as much as either deGrom or Syndergaard.

Not just “at Night” anymore.

Sending Gray down makes zero sense to me. Sure the guy's ERA was ugly, but at the same time he has an excellent 2.80 xFIP. The hard hit ball percentage has gone up but not to the extent where it would explain an extremely flukey .386 BABIP. He's striking out 4+ batters for every 1 walk allowed. Everything I see indicates this is a guy you just leave in the rotation and let him pitch his way through it. Have to think there is something more at play here. Maybe a work ethic thing or something that really doesn't have anything to do with Gray himself? The Rockies have been a big disappointment, maybe management wanted to send a message to the team?

Based on the peripherals, I'm guessing if he were made available that there would be somewhere around 29 other MLB teams that would have major interest.

Verified Member
I would be more cautious in giving up a lot for him. His ERA has consistently and dramatically underperformed his FIP/xFIP for his entire career now (411 IP) which makes me think there's something about his style of pitching that supports an inflated BABIP. The Manny Parra effect, in other words.

Archived