Brewer Fanatic

Cain to DL, Broxton to MIL

Cain to the DL, Shaw unavailable for at least a few days (and very possibly headed to the DL), and Yelich slumping. Going to have to find a way to stay afloat by winning some low scoring games. Like 2-1 with Aguilar hitting 2 HRs.
Note: If I raise something as a POSSIBILITY that does not mean that I EXPECT it to happen.

Presumably Broxton over Santana due to CF defense? I was going to add there shouldn't be much PT but there will be due to Braun's planned days off.

Braun better suck it up with the days off for the next games without Cain/Shaw

Presumably Broxton over Santana due to CF defense? I was going to add there shouldn't be much PT but there will be due to Braun's planned days off.

This is a little strange to me because if they wanted defense they would have gone with Phillips I would think. Offense is a wash between Maverick and Broxton as the numbers are similar (both are striking out way too much ... Broxton over 40%!) and maybe they think it is too soon to bring Santana back.

This feels like a "thanks for sticking with us Keon" move to me. That is 100% conjecture on my part ... but if there is any truth it is way too bad, because we are a first place ballclub and with our guys down we need to salvage some wins in the next week.

Wow, hopefully only 10 days. IMO this is the one player the Brewers cannot afford to lose for an extended amount of time. Hopefully they prove me wrong and play some great baseball over the next 8-10 days. At least the schedule is on the easier side this next week.

Should be that way, but we know Braun is sitting 1-2 games per week. That's gonna be Broxton or Perez and that's not good. Moreover, any lefty starter he'll be in for Thames.

Unless Shaw goes on the DL, I would not be surprised if Perez gets more OF time than Broxton. They seem to love him for some reason.

Broxton will hardly get any PT other than late game defense. Bringing Santana up to sit on the bench would be stupid, same with Phillips.

Broxton starting today.

And delivers as expected, 0-2, 2 Ks

This guy threw at his own son in a father son game

Broxton is only up because of an injury. His career MLB line (in 625 ABs or roughly one full season) is .226 avg / .317 OBP / .421 SLG / .738 OPS with 29 HR, 45 SB and decent defense. That's a very solid option for a "AAA depth / injury insurance" guy. Yes, he strikes out and is "boom or bust," but I don't get the hate.

I'd love for him to fix the holes in his swing and strike out less, because if he did he could be a star. Even if he doesn't, he's a far better option than most teams have to pull out of AAA for a week or so at a time.

Edit: for point of reference, Perez has over twice the ABs (1,330) with a career line of .256/.282/.386/.668. Yes, a career .282 OBP and he's somehow still on a MLB roster getting semi-regular play while people complain about guys like Broxton coming up for a week.

"The most successful (people) know that performance over the long haul is what counts. If you can seize the day, great. But never forget that there are days yet to come."

~Bill Walsh

If only Broxton could play infield as well as outfield.
"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

Neutral Perez person here: I'd also note that Perez is probably still around because of his career trajectory.

Early 20s with Detroit: Called up as toolsy/talented utility IF. Batting stats were horrendous. That's part of the reason why his career numbers look a little worse than what one has come to expect the last few years.

Mid-late/20s he put up a .730 OPS at age 25 with the Brewers. I don't think people were expecting better than that, but as a player of his ilk, that's very promising.

He went down to .700 last year and is declining this year. I think if he finishes the year this way, he's played himself out of a job. Going into this year, there was at least a reason to keep him around to start it.

Broxton is fine as an injury fill in . You're not going to replace Lorenzo Cain, no one in this system is.

Hopefully Broxton can have some success this week and in AAA when he goes back down eventually because he is out of options after 2018 and pretty much needs to be traded this time around in the offseason and it would be nice to get something for him.

I only mentioned Perez because he's the guy who would likely get the PT that Broxton is now likely to get during the short time he will be up. I think Broxton is a much better option.

"The most successful (people) know that performance over the long haul is what counts. If you can seize the day, great. But never forget that there are days yet to come."

~Bill Walsh

Broxton is light years ahead of perez defensively in the OF, and even though he strikes out more than perez, he walks more as well, so although I'd rate them pretty similarly in terms of not expecting much offensively, he can at least get on base a little better than perez generally.

Santana and Phillips should be up. Both of them.
"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

lorenzo cain is likely to be activated wednesday.

Unfortunately, it sounds like there's a chance Yelich goes to the DL.

How many full games have they played shorthanded with him out? 3 or 4?? At the end of the season, i think it will be interesting to try and log just how many games the brewers willingly started with playing shorthanded due to guys being injured, and see what their record was in those games. This close to the all star break, just put guys on the dl and get them healthy instead of dragging the last 3-4 weeks.

Archived