Brewer Fanatic

Travis Shaw

Pugger

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Brewers manager Craig Counsell said after Sunday's game that he doesn't think Travis Shaw (wrist) will require a stint on the disabled list.

Shaw exited Sunday's game after aggravating his right wrist on a swing. There should be more clarity on his status in the next day or two, but Shaw thinks the scheduled off-day on Monday will help.

Stay tuned.

Jun 25 - 9:00 AM

Source: Brewers.mlb.com

"I'm sick of runnin' from these wimps!" Ajax - The WARRIORS

Hopefully this is why he's looked lost at the plate most of the season. Gotta get some one other than Yelich/Cain/Jesus going. Give Shaw as much time as he needs.
"Did I ever tell you how I became a Postman Abby? I don't know if you'd laugh or cry"-The Postman

My guess based on Counsell saying he doesn't think it'll require a DL stint followed by 2 days of Shaw not going on the DL is that it won't require a DL stint at all, unless a move is on the horizon in the next few hours that we just haven't heard about yet.

Take the hit on defense (Shaw isn’t great anyway) and play Aguilar there to give Shaw a little more rest. Don’t just put Perez there to have a complete waste of a bottom part of lineup

Put Shaw on the DL. I can't see how giving him just a few days rest is going to do any good. Didn't we JUST do this? It resulted in Shaw leaving a game after a swing, of all things. Just give him the two weeks to get fully over it (hopefully), and then don't play him everyday when he gets back. He'll have the All Star break to rest, as well. We need him desperately 2nd half. No good option is there with him out.

Play Aguilar at 3rd half the time and be willing to adjust his position late in games. Thames can play some 1B and OF.

Call up Santana for Shaw. We are playing some poorer pitching staffs until the break, along with no off days and a double header. Santana should be able to get steady at bats with Braun and Cain iffy with health, as well.

Finally, I want Hiura to be on stand by. If we cannot get quality play from our outcast and misfit middle IFs, whomever they be, we go to Hiura after the break. I don't want us playing the what if game for a second consecutive offseason of barely missing the postseason. Get our bats up here and play or go get a quality option.

TH tweet

#Brewers 3B Travis Shaw told me he won't play today or tomorrow but the hope is to play Thursday. If can't go that day, time for a different plan.

Sounds like a very short-sighted plan.... if we are in the Playoffs, this sounds like a good plan. Skip Game 1 and 2 and shoot for playing him in Game 3.

There is no net if Shaw is out for the majority of the season. Playing with fire here.

TH tweet

#Brewers 3B Travis Shaw told me he won't play today or tomorrow but the hope is to play Thursday. If can't go that day, time for a different plan.

Sounds like a very short-sighted plan.... if we are in the Playoffs, this sounds like a good plan. Skip Game 1 and 2 and shoot for playing him in Game 3.

There is no net if Shaw is out for the majority of the season. Playing with fire here.

Or, it's a plan with very little downside. "If can't go [Thursday], time for a different plan."

They can always back-date a DL stint. The only thing we know right now is that the Brewers' medical staff feel this is minor enough to take a wait-&-see approach with. If he can't go Thurs., then send him to the 10-day DL.

Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

TH tweet

Or, it's a plan with very little downside. "If can't go [Thursday], time for a different plan."

They can always back-date a DL stint. The only thing we know right now is that the Brewers' medical staff feel this is minor enough to take a wait-&-see approach with. If he can't go Thurs., then send him to the 10-day DL.

Short bench (again) is the downside...

Relying on "how it feels" with a huge cog on our team with no good option to back him up is concerning, at best.

How many teams replace a Travis Shaw with a Travis Shaw? Getting a bit unrealistic about how depth works. Miller could probably step in there, Perez too and keep that position afloat.
"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

TH tweet

That is the Brewers' odd DL philosophy summed up in one Tweet. I guess it's fun to play short-handed.

I'm generally ok with handling these day-day injuries this way. You simply can't DL a player every time he's a little dinged up. But in this case I agree with you. Depth used to be a strength of this team. Now you have a bench of Sogard, a 50 yr old catcher, and nobody while Shaw is out.

Bring Nottingham up, Phillips, anyone. The way they're scoring runs (or not) it's more important to have another bat to PH. What's the down side, Shaw may miss a few games he could have played? Big deal. Now that the DL is 10 days, this should be an easy decision.

Short bench (again) is the downside...

Relying on "how it feels" with a huge cog on our team with no good option to back him up is concerning, at best.

Yes, the short bench is what I'm calling pretty minimal downside. If they felt this was more than a wait-&-see situation, he'd have been DL'd right away. They're not just "reyling on how it feels", they're medical professionals who want to reevaluate the wrist after another day or two of treatment & rest. Sounds pretty logical to me.

As it stands, they feel there's a reasonable chance Shaw could be good after a couple more days off. If they're right, then you should be happy, since the downgrade at 3B will have been for less than half the time of a 10-day stint. The depth behind him isn't particularly good, so it's not like there's a serviceable bat that's being blocked from contributing by not DL-ing Shaw.

Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

My guess based on Counsell saying he doesn't think it'll require a DL stint followed by 2 days of Shaw not going on the DL is that it won't require a DL stint at all, unless a move is on the horizon in the next few hours that we just haven't heard about yet.

Counsell also said there were no plans to send Santana to AAA. Just saying.

By not DLing him now you give yourself the option of getting him back,in a few days......if he can't go you back date the DL move.

This seems like the prudent move.....best case you get him back first game of Cincy series.....and he misses 2 games.....only down side is playing a man short the next 2 days.

TH tweet

Exactly. It may seem short-sighted, but it really isn't. If you put Shaw on the DL, he's missing 9 games. If he misses 3 games, you get him for 6 extra games this year. Last year as an example, every game will count so you cannot afford to have one of your best run producers to be on the DL for 3-4 extra games when he is healthy. And, as stated above, if he isn't ready the just DL him retroactively.

Exactly. It may seem short-sighted, but it really isn't. If you put Shaw on the DL, he's missing 9 games. If he misses 3 games, you get him for 6 extra games this year. Last year as an example, every game will count so you cannot afford to have one of your best run producers to be on the DL for 3-4 extra games when he is healthy. And, as stated above, if he isn't ready the just DL him retroactively.

How about this for downside. Shaw misses 3 games, convinces CC/medical staff/himself into thinking he's ready to play when he's not, tweaks his already weakened wrist again in his first game back and hits the DL for longer than he otherwise might have.

And that doesn't even consider we may lose a game because we are short a bench player. Wrists are tricky, and you'd think CC/Stearns would have learned their lesson the first dozen times they've gone with the "wait and see" approach and had it cost them. Beyond frustrating.

Learned their lesson? Oh stop. They know what they’re doing more than us because they have all the information. Playing the what if game is pretty silly.
"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

Learned their lesson? Oh stop. They know what they’re doing more than us because they have all the information. Playing the what if game is pretty silly.

How many times has Braun hung around on the roster for 3-4 days before eventually getting sent to the DL? That's just Braun, it's happened with other players. There are probably cases of nagging injuries that we don't even hear about that negatively impact players...where a DL stint would make sense to get the player right but CC apparently loves playing with a short bench and having it cost us games.

Frankly, even if he felt great on Thursday, I'd still rather he take a trip to the 10-day DL. As soon as I heard it was bothering him, this is what I wanted. Wrists are not something to mess around with in baseball, but the Brewers tried to let him play through it and look what happened. Better to play it safe, miss a few more games, and be healthy the rest of the year than to have this turn into a year-long ordeal.
I am not Shea Vucinich

I do not think that major league teams are completely infallible, but I generally will defer to their risk/reward on injury calls. Maybe I'm "right" saying they should DL a guy immediately if once or twice if Braun holding out due to injury costs us a game because 1 less guy on the bench, but it doesn't happen much and you have to make the best % guess.

Archived